Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 28, 2020, 07:36:57 AM
Whenever the weather permits, we like to walk to Lake Michigan, usually with the dog accompanying us. Summer:

Winter:

Very nice images. Today I took this photo on an 8 mile walk locally, near Isfield, Sussex, UK. I was quite pleased with the photo:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 03, 2020, 02:54:52 AM
Lovely photo Jeffrey!
Yes PD it did come out better than expected, if I say so myself!
Thank you  :)
My wife said I should get it printed.
Hope all is well with you.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaveF

Great thread idea, Jeffrey, and I've only been slow to respond through having been away... walking...  Where we went, the Isles of Scilly (UK's only Covid-free region), there isn't a lot else to do and, lovely though it was, I don't think any walk there is going to turn into a favourite.  Too much sea for my taste - I don't mind a day or two of coastal walking, but after that it tends just to become more of the same.

Anyway, to your recommendation first: it's Pennine Way country, isn't it, or very nearly, so well known to me.  There's some great old mining country up the top of Nidderdale, too, and further north up around Nenthead.  (And a note to PD - thankfully, Poison Ivy is not found in the UK.  I read some nasty things about it a few years ago before going walking in the Appalachians, but didn't encounter any.)

And if I had one walk left to do before I died, it would be from Kinlochewe to Dundonnell in Wester Ross.  You can either go down the north side of Loch Maree to Letterewe, then over the top to Shenavall, or via the Heights of Kinlochewe to Loch an Nid.  Ideally a 2-day trip, during which it's possible to see no other human beings at all.  Either way, there's the inspiring sight of An Teallach's mighty peaks to keep you going, but the whole area contains a dozen or so above the 3000-foot mark.  I haven't been there for years, and just writing about it makes me long to get back.

And on a much gentler level, we have a pleasant 1-mile ramble from our new house that takes in a fairly impressive medieval motte:

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DaveF on August 05, 2020, 12:44:49 PM
Great thread idea, Jeffrey, and I've only been slow to respond through having been away... walking...  Where we went, the Isles of Scilly (UK's only Covid-free region), there isn't a lot else to do and, lovely though it was, I don't think any walk there is going to turn into a favourite.  Too much sea for my taste - I don't mind a day or two of coastal walking, but after that it tends just to become more of the same.

Anyway, to your recommendation first: it's Pennine Way country, isn't it, or very nearly, so well known to me.  There's some great old mining country up the top of Nidderdale, too, and further north up around Nenthead.  (And a note to PD - thankfully, Poison Ivy is not found in the UK.  I read some nasty things about it a few years ago before going walking in the Appalachians, but didn't encounter any.)

And if I had one walk left to do before I died, it would be from Kinlochewe to Dundonnell in Wester Ross.  You can either go down the north side of Loch Maree to Letterewe, then over the top to Shenavall, or via the Heights of Kinlochewe to Loch an Nid.  Ideally a 2-day trip, during which it's possible to see no other human beings at all.  Either way, there's the inspiring sight of An Teallach's mighty peaks to keep you going, but the whole area contains a dozen or so above the 3000-foot mark.  I haven't been there for years, and just writing about it makes me long to get back.

And on a much gentler level, we have a pleasant 1-mile ramble from our new house that takes in a fairly impressive medieval motte:

Thank you for the information regarding poison ivy NOT being in the UK as I'm allergic to it!  And what a cool photo!  Hope that you are enjoying your new home Dave.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 05, 2020, 12:50:08 PM
Thank you for the information regarding poison ivy NOT being in the UK as I'm allergic to it!  And what a cool photo!  Hope that you are enjoying your new home Dave.

Best wishes,

PD

Yes that looks like a great default walk when you're not able to travel further :).

steve ridgway

We're currently spending a lot of time at this bioscience office park which has beautiful and varied woods away from the offices, a sunny pond with benches where we sit and have our picnic or in a shelter with tables if it's raining. It's a 25 minute drive from home to where we park at an old church 5 minutes walk away, starting about 7:45 so we generally have it all to ourselves :D.

https://www.alderleypark.co.uk/

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM
In these difficult times we have been encouraged to get out of doors and walk for exercise. Where do you like walking? My favourite walk is a ten mile walk from Gunnerside, a village in N.Yorkshire in the North of England where I have spent numerous holidays from age 19. The Yorkshire Dales is my favourite location in England, especially due to the great contrast between the bleak and rugged scenery at the top,of the dales and the pastoral landscapes in the valley bottoms. There are quite a few abandoned lead mines in the area, so the walk is full of history as well:
[/img]

Jeffrey, this is so beautiful! I will check some pics on Goole Map.
I jog 2 miles every morning, but it's an average residential area.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 09, 2020, 07:25:17 AM
Jeffrey, this is so beautiful! I will check some pics on Goole Map.
I jog 2 miles every morning, but it's an average residential area.

Ah, Goole  :-*

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on August 05, 2020, 12:44:49 PM

Great photo Dave and interesting walk observations. Yes, Gunnerside is near Pennine Way country. Actually I walked the whole of the Pennine Way with my brother in 1979. It took three weeks - probably the best holiday that I ever had. My wife's grandparents lived in Nidderdale and we would often visit there. Her grandmother dies a few year's ago aged 103. Your local walk looks very nice and I share PD's liking for the photo.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I visit Tokyo and Kyoto almost every year. Over-there, I jog 2-3 miles every morning.
The pics of my jog route in Kyoto here.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

steve ridgway

Nice, is it busy when you do that jog?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 11, 2020, 05:24:48 AM
Nice, is it busy when you do that jog?

It's a tourist area packed with tons of people from many countries.
I jog before 9am and it's not bad.

vandermolen

We are staying near Glastonbury for a week. Today's walk was from where we are staying to the top of Glastonbury Tor and then on to Glastonbury Abbey, where King Arthur is allegedly buried - very Arthurian!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 10, 2020, 02:20:22 PM
Kyoto jog No. 2.

Very nice. Yes, parts of Kyoto, especially in the area of the temple districts, have a surprisingly green and very relaxed environment. We have  stayed in those areas when visiting, and IMO it is to be preferred, if possible.

vandermolen

Glastonbury Abbey

vandermolen

'King Arthur's' Tomb, Glastonbury Abbey

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 16, 2020, 07:09:29 AM
Very nice. Yes, parts of Kyoto, especially in the area of the temple districts, have a surprisingly green and very relaxed environment. We have  stayed in those areas when visiting, and IMO it is to be preferred, if possible.

Many tourists in Kyoto are upperclass/intellectual people from all over the world. I met composers, conductors, writers, psychiatrists, etc. it is a favorite city of David Bowie, Anne-Sophie Mutter, and others. The price is higher than Tokyo/New York though.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh