Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 16, 2020, 07:34:49 AM
Wow! I am envious.  :) :)
It was fun and we enjoyed being steeped in Arthuiran legend for the day!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 16, 2020, 07:34:04 AM
Many tourists in Kyoto are upperclass/intellectual people from all over the world. I met composers, conductors, writers, psychiatrists, etc. it is a favorite city of David Bowie, Anne-Sophie Mutter, and others. The price is higher than Tokyo/New York though.

We just stayed at modest B&Bs twice, breakfast included, run by expats, & generally didn't spend a lot of money; such places might be more expensive now. I'm pretty sure it was around or less than 100 Euros/night for two people. This was around a decade ago. Flights to Osaka were down to around 500 Euros return from Copenhagen. Bikes were ridiculously cheap to rent & we felt comfortable going around the quieter parts of the city on them. But: though it's The Land of the Rising Sun, it's also The Country of Low-placed Bike Saddles :)

vandermolen

Yesterday we walked around Wells and visited the cathedral, now opened once again. On Tuesday evening there is a free organ recital By Barry Rose of Guildford Cathedral which we might try to get to. I have a recording of him doing Vaughan Williams's 'Fantasia on Christmas Carols':

Interior of Cathedral with 'Scissors Arch':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 10:08:31 AM
Yesterday we walked around Wells and visited the cathedral, now opened once again. On Tuesday evening there is a free organ recital By Barry Rose of Guildford Cathedral which we might try to get to. I have a recording of him doing Vaughan Williams's 'Fantasia on Christmas Carols':

Late Gothic- my favorite architecture. Built around the 15th-16th century perhaps?

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 10:08:31 AM

Interior of Cathedral with 'Scissors Arch':

Looks glorious. I once did a bike+camping tour westwards from London, but weather was often poor. Stopped at Bath, Wells, Glastonbury and Yeovil etc. too, but reached only Minehead as the westernmost poin, so didn't reach Cornwall ... :(. As far as I remember, I stayed at a camp site near Wokey Hole.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 11, 2020, 05:50:44 AM
It's a tourist area packed with tons of people from many countries.
I jog before 9am and it's not bad.
Kyoto is a beautiful area (and also lots of amazing artists live there--beautiful work....*traditional and natural indigo dying and more)..so much to see and appreciate...temples, etc.  Would love to go back there.  Do you have relatives there and/or friends?

*I purchased some gorgeous pieces from a wonderful and rightfully renowned artist there at one point in time...still enjoying them.   :)
Best wishes,

PD
Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 07:01:31 AM
We are staying near Glastonbury for a week. Today's walk was from where we are staying to the top of Glastonbury Tor and then on to Glastonbury Abbey, where King Arthur is allegedly buried - very Arthurian!

Nice Jeffrey!  I'm glad that you are enjoying your visit.  Would love to check out these areas/sites/towns someday!

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 07:46:29 AM
It was fun and we enjoyed being steeped in Arthuiran legend for the day!

A friend took me to the supposed "Knights of the Round Table" some years ago.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 16, 2020, 10:26:16 AM
Looks glorious. I once did a bike+camping tour westwards from London, but weather was often poor. Stopped at Bath, Wells, Glastonbury and Yeovil etc. too, but reached only Minehead as the westernmost poin, so didn't reach Cornwall ... :(. As far as I remember, I stayed at a camp site near Wokey Hole.
How very nice! Weather a bit variably but much better than the unbearable heat of last week. We kept dry on our c.7 mile walk from the farm we are staying at to the top of Glastonbury Tor and then to the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey yesterday. I studied in Exeter for a year and have very good friends in Shaftesbury, but don't ever recall coming here before. There's a very friendly donkey called 'Arthur' on the farm where we are staying to whom we fee carrots (with the owner's permission).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2020, 02:45:31 PM
A friend took me to the supposed "Knights of the Round Table" some years ago.  :)

PD

Yes and of course there is Tintagel in Cornwall, the subject on Bax's famous orchestral tone poem.

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 11:17:23 PM
How very nice! Weather a bit variably but much better than the unbearable heat of last week. We kept dry on our c.7 mile walk from the farm we are staying at to the top of Glastonbury Tor and then to the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey yesterday. I studied in Exeter for a year and have very good friends in Shaftesbury, but don't ever recall coming here before. There's a very friendly donkey called 'Arthur' on the farm where we are staying to whom we fee carrots (with the owner's permission).

That sounds perfect 😄 - it must be a very enjoyable time for you.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 11:17:23 PM
Makes both the donkey and you happy and feeling good!  :)

Cooler here too (with a spot of rain yesterday; it felt sooo good!  And nice cool morning here today....ahhh!

Would love to visit Tintagal someday.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 07:01:31 AM
We are staying near Glastonbury for a week. Today's walk was from where we are staying to the top of Glastonbury Tor and then on to Glastonbury Abbey, where King Arthur is allegedly buried - very Arthurian!

Sounds nice, very wise of you not to go abroad :).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2020, 02:43:31 PM
Kyoto is a beautiful area (and also lots of amazing artists live there--beautiful work....*traditional and natural indigo dying and more)..so much to see and appreciate...temples, etc.  Would love to go back there.  Do you have relatives there and/or friends?

*I purchased some gorgeous pieces from a wonderful and rightfully renowned artist there at one point in time...still enjoying them.   :)
Best wishes,

PD

I have friends and relatives in Tokyo. But mostly every year, I take a bullet train to Kyoto (2hrs) and stay there about a week. Yes many artists live there. Also there are several classical music cafe bars. The North side of Kyoto is popular, but the South side has many nice Zen temples and good family restaurants, and it is less pricy.

vandermolen

Yesterday we did a six mile walk around the top of the Cheddar (as in the cheese) Gorge. It was very up and down but good exercise with added drama when my wife lost her mobile phone en route (a kind member of the public heard it ringing in a bush and returned it to her). It looked like a tropical storm was going to break out when I reached the top (a long way behind my wife, as usual) but we managed to miss it:

MusicTurner

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2020, 01:08:22 AM
That photo is top-notch!
+1!

And what a wonderful spot that would be to paint too!

Jeffrey,

So glad that she managed to get her phone back.  How did that manage to happen?  Was she asking everyone she bumped into along the way?

PD

p.s.  I'd bring that to a place that does digital printing (if they still exist?) and/or buy some good quality photograph stock and print it at home.  And then frame it with pride.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2020, 01:08:22 AM
That photo is top-notch!
Thanks although not my photo - found on the Internet.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 18, 2020, 02:59:57 AM
+1!

And what a wonderful spot that would be to paint too!

Jeffrey,

So glad that she managed to get her phone back.  How did that manage to happen?  Was she asking everyone she bumped into along the way?

PD

p.s.  I'd bring that to a place that does digital printing (if they still exist?) and/or buy some good quality photograph stock and print it at home.  And then frame it with pride.   :)
I phoned her mobile and someone happened to hear it in a bush! She headed back to where she was last aware of using it (to tell me to get a move on of course   ::)) but in the meantime I heard that a mobile had been found and then someone came along with it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 18, 2020, 11:38:46 AM
I phoned her mobile and someone happened to hear it in a bush! She headed back to where she was last aware of using it (to tell me to get a move on of course   ::)) but in the meantime I heard that a mobile had been found and then someone came along with it.
Ah, smart thinking!   :)
Quote from: vandermolen on August 18, 2020, 11:35:36 AMThanks although not my photo - found on the Internet.
Hmmm...well, perhaps future inspiration then for you re photographing there?   ;)
Pohjolas Daughter