Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2020, 09:01:32 AM
I have had two lovely holidays hiking in the Austrian Alps. Including getting stuck in the revolving door of our hotel, with my rucksack, on two consecutive days. On the second occasion a fellow hotel guest jumped up and announced 'Did you see that? He did the same thing yesterday!' Presumably he thought that I'd been employed by the hotel to provide the comic entertainment for fellow guests.
Oh, no! lol So, I'm guessing that the next time, you decided to take your sack off of your back before going through the door?  I'm guessing that that was the issue?  ;)

Love her comment about the Austrian desserts...made me laugh!  Though to be fair, I'll have to watch it with tart baking; even though they are savory, there's a goodly bit of butter in the crusts and cheese of some sort (goat cheese lately) in the filling!  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2020, 09:01:32 AM
I have had two lovely holidays hiking in the Austrian Alps. Including getting stuck in the revolving door of our hotel, with my rucksack, on two consecutive days. On the second occasion a fellow hotel guest jumped up and announced 'Did you see that? He did the same thing yesterday!' Presumably he thought that I'd been employed by the hotel to provide the comic entertainment for fellow guests.

I don't like revolving doors. They make me dizzy. There are scenes of people stuck in revolving doors in numerous movies. In Godfather, one of Mafia dons was shot in a revolving door.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 25, 2020, 06:47:11 PM
I don't like revolving doors. They make me dizzy. There are scenes of people stuck in revolving doors in numerous movies. In Godfather, one of Mafia dons was shot in a revolving door.
Careful now!  You'll be making Jeffrey even more paranoid about going through revolving doors!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 26, 2020, 02:45:53 AM
Careful now!  You'll be making Jeffrey even more paranoid about going through revolving doors!  ;)

PD

;D

That was the same holiday during which I set off on my bicycle with the handlebars the wrong way round, crashed into a wall and toppled off, whilst my wife and daughter looked on in a state of hysterical laughter.

My daughter loves telling everyone about 'The Austrian Bike Ride' it has become a legendary event in family history.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on August 24, 2020, 11:20:21 PM
Good to hear. It looks like a scene from 'The Sound of Music'. She doesn't seem to be in hiking gear  ;D

On many routes, they mostly put on the hiking gear for indicating hiking; usually, it's not really necessary, since everything is pretty well-organized and neat, facilities good, etc. So she has just chosen one type of traditional dress in stead of another ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2020, 03:26:50 AM
;D

That was the same holiday during which I set off on my bicycle with the handlebars the wrong way round, crashed into a wall and toppled off, whilst my wife and daughter looked on in a state of hysterical laughter.

My daughter loves telling everyone about 'The Austrian Bike Ride' it has become a legendary event in family history.
Poor Jeffrey!
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

A great weekend break to hitherto unvisited areas in the Jutland region, staying at the excellent Pallisgaard B&B near Struer town, resulted in selected walks in some unusually grand landscapes, by Danish standards - the Toftum Bjerge fiord viewpoint; the Bovbjerg Fyr lighthouse sandy coast by the North Sea; the Hald Sø lake; and the Hanklit coastal hills on Mors island.

A really refreshing trip.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 31, 2020, 01:46:11 PM
A great weekend break to hitherto unvisited areas in the Jutland region, staying at the excellent Pallisgaard B&B near Struer town, resulted in selected walks in some unusually grand landscapes, by Danish standards - the Toftum Bjerge fiord viewpoint; the Bovbjerg Fyr lighthouse sandy coast by the North Sea; the Hald Sø lake; and the Hanklit coastal hills on Mors island.

Great places!  Beautiful.

MusicTurner

premont

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 31, 2020, 01:46:11 PM

Nice pictures, Music Turner, displaying the athmosphere of the locations very well. When younger I lived in this area for about a dozen years and used of course the opportunity to visit much of the landscape.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 01, 2020, 01:32:28 PM
Nice pictures, Music Turner, displaying the athmosphere of the locations very well. When younger I lived in this area for about a dozen years and used of course the opportunity to visit much of the landscape.

Tak.
If there are/were other places there you've found particularly rewarding, it would be nice hearing about it. I could see myself paying a visit again.

vandermolen

On Sunday my wife and I did a 7.5 mile walk to Cissbury Ring on the South Downs. It is an ancient hill fort. I always associate these kinds of places with the music of John Ireland who lived locally (in a windmill). Photo from Internet:

There's some information about it here.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cissbury-ring
The good thing about this walk is that the route is very clear so, unusually for us, we didn't get lost.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Andante

Quote from: vandermolen link=topi c=30052.msg1319328#msg1319328 date=1600152357
On Sunday my wife and I did a 7.5 mile walk to Cissbury Ring on the South Downs. It is an ancient hill fort. I always associate these kinds of places with the music of John Ireland who lived locally (in a windmill). Photo from Internet:

The good thing about this walk is that the route is very clear so, unusually for us, we didn't get lost.

This takes me back to my school years in England we did a school trip to south England and visited a hill fort called Maiden Castle in Dorset dates back to the iron age I think and parts go back to Neolithic man, oh those were the days mad impetuous  youth.  :)
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Biffo

Quote from: Andante on September 15, 2020, 03:34:15 AM
This takes me back to my school years in England we did a school trip to south England and visited a hill fort called Maiden Castle in Dorset dates back to the iron age I think and parts go back to Neolithic man, oh those were the days mad impetuous  youth.  :)

Maiden Castle inspired Ireland's work Mai-Dun

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 14, 2020, 10:45:57 PM

Nice!  Did you see the ponies at work there Jeffrey?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 15, 2020, 05:08:54 AM
Nice!  Did you see the ponies at work there Jeffrey?   :)

PD

I did indeed PD although I'm not sure they were 'at work' unless that definition includes their clear interest in each other!  :o We sat at the top of the hill fort with our backs to the ponies, who suddenly seemed rather interested in our packed lunch!

vandermolen

Quote from: Andante on September 15, 2020, 03:34:15 AM

Nice! Where did you go to school?

Andante

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2020, 08:37:29 AM
Nice! Where did you go to school?

A boy's boarding school just outside of Cleobury Mortimer in Shropshire nothing elete just a normal school for boys only. 
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2020, 08:36:15 AM
I did indeed PD although I'm not sure they were 'at work' unless that definition includes their clear interest in each other!  :o We sat at the top of the hill fort with our backs to the ponies, who suddenly seemed rather interested in our packed lunch!
lol  :) I suspect that they might have been fed some bits of apple and carrots by some there?  Or maybe 'at home'?  Reading about them on the website, I wondered if perhaps a few goats might be helpful in some of the more awkward to reach areas?

Is the rampart fairly steep and/or high?  Hard to tell by the photo.  And interesting to read that it was used even as late as WWII!

Best,

PD

p.s.  Nothing too exciting around here....though (whilst on a short walk with a friend), we spied several herons flying by.  The other day, I also looked up and saw two red-tailed hawks flying over a local building (circling)....that made my day!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter