Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Andante on September 15, 2020, 01:59:32 PM
A boy's boarding school just outside of Cleobury Mortimer in Shropshire nothing elete just a normal school for boys only.
Interesting. Thanks
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Andante

Quote from: Biffo on September 15, 2020, 03:51:00 AM
Maiden Castle inspired Ireland's work Mai-Dun

Thanks for that Biffo I had no idea
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

vandermolen

Quote from: Andante on September 16, 2020, 02:33:45 AM

Thanks for that Biffo I had no idea

It's one of my favourite works by Ireland along with 'The Forgotten Rite'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

MusicTurner

On this the last day on the island of Møn, it was time to re-visit parts of the famous walk along the ridges of the white, forested cliffs, rising up to 120 m from the blue and green sea. They are mostly beech forests. Weather was beautiful too. There's a chalet and a park from the 18-19th century there, 'Liselund', with various follies and a path down to the stony beach below. They've now introduced picturesque herds of goats in the hills too, giving an almost South-European impression. One of the best scenic spots in the country. Did about 1/3 of the total hiking route.

krummholz

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 19, 2020, 10:26:11 AM
On this the last day on the island of Møn, it was time to re-visit parts of the famous walk along the ridges of the white, forested cliffs, rising up to 120 m from the blue and green sea. They are mostly beech forests. Weather was beautiful too. There's a chalet and a park from the 18-19th century there, 'Liselund', with various folies and a path down to the stony beach below. They've now installed picturesque herds of goats in the hills too, giving an almost South-European impression. One of the best scenic spots in the country. Did about 1/3 of the total hiking route.

Beautiful, MT. :)

Myself, I enjoy hiking in the Green Mountains here in Vermont, though this summer I've done precious little, partly due to prepping for online classes and partly due to racing to finish my latest piece before classes started. Mostly I have been limited to local hikes. From my house I can leave town on foot and hike up into the hill country to the east, covered with mixed New England forests (oak, maple, ash, birch, and several different species of conifers). Unfortunately the Green Mountains require a car to get to, but they're quite inspiring with 3 summits that stick up above timberline. The Worcester Range is also very beautiful and rugged, makes for challenging hiking even in dry weather.

MusicTurner

The Vermont forests, especially in Autumn, are definitely one of the places I'd like to see if visiting the Northern US; also, you have the reputation for lovely, rural landscapes, and low-key neighbourhoods, as a contrast to the biggest cities. I've only been to New York, but hope to maybe-maybe visit in the future ... I guess some cycling is even an option there too, in the easier valleys etc. Nice with the mentioning of some of your favourites.

vandermolen

On this the last day on the island of Møn, it was time to re-visit parts of the famous walk along the ridges of the white, forested cliffs, rising up to 120 m from the blue and green sea. They are mostly beech forests. Weather was beautiful too. There's a chalet and a park from the 18-19th century there, 'Liselund', with various follies and a path down to the stony beach below. They've now introduced picturesque herds of goats in the hills too, giving an almost South-European impression. One of the best scenic spots in the country. Did about 1/3 of the total hiking route.
Beautiful images. Where is the Island of Møn?

Yesterday, on a local walk, I came across the grave of former Prime Minister Harold MacMillan:
Some parts of the church at Horsted Keynes go back to the 12th Century.

krummholz

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 20, 2020, 12:58:10 AM
The Vermont forests, especially in Autumn, are definitely one of the places I'd like to see if visiting the Northern US; also, you have the reputation for lovely, rural landscapes, and low-key neighbourhoods, as a contrast to the biggest cities. I've only been to New York, but hope to maybe-maybe visit in the future ... I guess some cycling is even an option there too, in the easier valleys etc. Nice with the mentioning of some of your favourites.

Yes, Vermont is very much a rural state, with even the largest city, Burlington, having a population a little under 43,000. I live in a small college town near the center of the state. My neighbors keep chickens (illegal inside city limits in most states) and there are farms and rolling fields within walking distance.

And yes, bicycling is very popular here. Until the highway was torn up two summers ago for construction, I did a 12-km each way ride up the valley to the next town and back on a regular basis. Now the construction is finished and my bicycle is sitting unused because it needs maintenance, and so few bike stores are open (due to the pandemic) that the waiting list is several months long. :(  So I hike as much as I can. :D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Wow, such a wonderful place! I am envious.

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2020, 01:04:34 AM
Beautiful images. Where is the Island of Møn?

(...)

Yes, due to the peculiar spelling, it might be a bit difficult to find on the various web sources. But it's roughly 100 km directly to the south of Copenhagen (as the crow flies), and there's a free bridge from Sjælland/Zealand, the blob-island where Copenhagen is situated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B8n

Lots of sights, besides the white cliffs of Møns Klint; also a series of medieval, frescoed churches (Fanefjord, Elmelunde, Keldby etc.), nice beaches, pretty villages (Nyord, Stege), galleries, ceramics places, and some local gastronomy/food products ... well worth a visit/stay for a few days, or longer. I had to go home after 6 nights, but could easily have stayed for another week, or more - particularly with the lovely weather, that still allowed swimming.

krummholz

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 21, 2020, 05:12:23 AM
Yes, due to the peculiar spelling, it might be a bit difficult to find on the various web sources. But it's soughly 100 km directly to the south of Copenhagen (as the crow flies), and there's a free bridge from Zealand, the blob-island where Copenhagen is situated.

Lots of sights, besides the white cliffs of Møns Klint; also a series of medieval, frescoed churches (Fanefjord, Elmelunde, Keldby etc.), nice beaches, pretty villages (Nyord, Stege), galleries, ceramics places, and some local gastronomy/food products ... well worth a visit/stay for a few days, or longer. I had to go home after 6 nights, but could easily have stayed for another week, or more - particularly with the lovely weather, that still allowed swimming.

Of all of the countries in Europe, the two I've been most keen on visiting have been France (the southern part, le Midi) and Denmark... the latter partly because two of the top composers in my pantheon are Danish. I wonder what has become of the property Vagn Holmboe owned on Lake Arresø? I always wanted to see the setting where Holmboe composed the vast majority of his works.

André

A long stroll in the streets of Montreal's Mile End area with my son this weekend. Being the Jewish New Year, shtreimels and talits were very much on display (for the men of course). It was a beautiful fall afternoon. I brought back a dozen Montreal bagels  :D.

MusicTurner

Quote from: krummholz on September 21, 2020, 07:04:55 AM
Of all of the countries in Europe, the two I've been most keen on visiting have been France (the southern part, le Midi) and Denmark... the latter partly because two of the top composers in my pantheon are Danish. I wonder what has become of the property Vagn Holmboe owned on Lake Arresø? I always wanted to see the setting where Holmboe composed the vast majority of his works.

I've sent you a PM with some info on the matter ...

Christo

One of my favourite walks is simply from my home to an Ice Age morene landscape nearby, a slope next to a 'sandr', topped with five tumuli, the remains of a paleolithic (c. 3300 BC) settlement. Most times with our dog [not the one on the photo], who has free movement here. Always a sense of eternity when the wind blows and the views from the top are wide and liberating:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

A view from the top must be a rare occurence indeed in the Netherlands ! :D

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on September 21, 2020, 10:51:47 AM
A view from the top must be a rare occurence indeed in the Netherlands ! :D

Was wondering whether it's perhaps a bit to the south in the Netherlands ? And it looks quite forested?

Christo

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 21, 2020, 10:54:41 AM
Was wondering whether it's perhaps a bit to the south in the Netherlands ? And it looks quite forested?
No it is the - almost exact - geographical centre of The Netherlands, quite forested indeed and the hill tops are just 50 meters over sea level. But that's enough for terrific views, I'm fond of them and enjoy the walk very much. The landscape resembles the Sussex Downs where Jeffrey is often found BTW.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 21, 2020, 05:12:23 AM
Yes, due to the peculiar spelling, it might be a bit difficult to find on the various web sources. But it's roughly 100 km directly to the south of Copenhagen (as the crow flies), and there's a free bridge from Sjælland/Zealand, the blob-island where Copenhagen is situated.

Thank you - it looks like a very attractive spot indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 21, 2020, 09:13:29 AM
A long stroll in the streets of Montreal's Mile End area with my son this weekend. Being the Jewish New Year, shtreimels and talits were very much on display (for the men of course). It was a beautiful fall afternoon. I brought back a dozen Montreal bagels  :D.

Sounds like a very nice thing to do.