Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 21, 2020, 10:58:07 AM
No it is the - almost exact - geographical centre of The Netherlands, quite forested indeed and the hill tops are just 50 meters over sea level. But that's enough for terrific views, I'm fond of them and enjoy the walk very much. The landscape resembles the Sussex Downs where Jeffrey is often found BTW.  :)

Indeed - or at least in a nearby pub (until they are all closed down again).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
Indeed - or at least in a nearby pub (until they are all closed down again).

Do many pubs over there serve fish and chips? What kind of fish do they offer? Maybe cod (my fav)??  Is the sauce tartar sauce?

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 21, 2020, 04:39:59 PM
Do many pubs over there serve fish and chips? What kind of fish do they offer? Maybe cod (my fav)??  Is the sauce tartar sauce?

OT

Yes, we also have a van which turns up in the village every Wednesday and serves fish and chips. Many pubs will serve cod and chips but there is usually a range of fish dishes. Fish Pie seems to be a popular pub meal. Not sure about the tartar sauce but I expect that you are right. Speaking personally, I'm addicted to tomato ketchup, which I have on almost everything (not breakfast cereal or porridge however).  ;D

My wife takes a dim view of my ketchup addiction  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Andante

Can you still get 'Draught Bass' it was my beer of choice when I was in England?
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2020, 11:14:02 PM
OT

Yes, we also have a van which turns up in the village every Wednesday and serves fish and chips. Many pubs will serve cod and chips but there is usually a range of fish dishes. Fish Pie seems to be a popular pub meal. Not sure about the tartar sauce but I expect that you are right. Speaking personally, I'm addicted to tomato ketchup, which I have on almost everything (not breakfast cereal or porridge however).  ;D

My wife takes a dim view of my ketchup addiction  ::)

The fish van sounds wonderful. I am envious. I live in the deep south in the U.S.A. and effectively there is no sea food restaurant. I haven't seen fish pie, but that sounds great and I would like to try one day. I ate good fish and chips at Heathrow Airport a few times, but it costed around €30. The best fish and chips I ate were those at my favorite pub in Vancouver. They were Cod, Halibut, and Sockeye Salmon. While I like tartar sauce, I like squeezed lemon as well. I imagine there are many local ales at pubs in your area. Such a great place. One day I will visit England, Wales, and Scotland, look at Gothic buildings during day, and eat fish pie with ale during night.

vandermolen

Quote from: Andante on September 22, 2020, 02:26:28 AM
Can you still get 'Draught Bass' it was my beer of choice when I was in England?

I think so but no sure. My favourite beer is 'Old' - a very dark local Sussex beer from the Harvey's Brewery in Lewes.

Here's one of the village pubs with their beer delivery van:

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 22, 2020, 08:03:39 AM
The fish van sounds wonderful. I am envious. I live in the deep south in the U.S.A. and effectively there is no sea food restaurant. I haven't seen fish pie, but that sounds great and I would like to try one day. I ate good fish and chips at Heathrow Airport a few times, but it costed around €30. The best fish and chips I ate were those at my favorite pub in Vancouver. They were Cod, Halibut, and Sockeye Salmon. While I like tartar sauce, I like squeezed lemon as well. I imagine there are many local ales at pubs in your area. Such a great place. One day I will visit England, Wales, and Scotland, look at Gothic buildings during day, and eat fish pie with ale during night.

If you come to England I'll buy you a fish pie.  :)

Yes, I'd imagine that fish and chips at Heathrow would be horribly over-priced. The fish van is much cheaper!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2020, 09:37:21 AM
I think so but no sure. My favourite beer is 'Old' - a very dark local Sussex beer from the Harvey's Brewery in Lewes.

As for "Irish" ale, Joseph Mitchell's well-known story maintains that it is supposed to be heated/warmed up and served in authentic way. I imagine they all are served cold in the U.K. today.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 22, 2020, 09:57:00 AM
As for "Irish" ale, Joseph Mitchell's well-known story maintains that it is supposed to be heated/warmed up and served in authentic way. I imagine they all are served cold in the U.K. today.
Yes, probably true.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2020, 09:37:21 AM

Hope to take one during our next visit!  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 24, 2020, 05:33:57 AM
Hope to take one during our next visit!  ;D
That would be very nice indeed - and hopefully as less traumatic visit than last time!

BasilValentine

Mine are in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, where I live. This is a shot of me enjoying one of them: a descent down a long ridge from Grace Mountain. I ascended via the valley below to the left and up an old landslide track. The return is down the ridge and then a plunge left back into the valley:

BasilValentine

Here's the ascent up the landslide track:

Christo

Quote from: BasilValentine on September 24, 2020, 09:29:17 PM
Mine are in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, where I live. This is a shot of me enjoying one of them: a descent down a long ridge from Grace Mountain. I ascended via the valley below to the left and up an old landslide track. The return is down the ridge and then a plunge left back into the valley:
I wrote a monograph on my compatriot Abraham Kuyper (1837-1920), who did an American tour in 1898. As an alternative for the Alps he normally would visit, he chose the Adirondack Mountains and found them not high, but pleasant walking and with enough fresh air.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

MusicTurner

That is superb & not quite what I expected of scenery up there. Lovely.

vandermolen

Great photos, although not sure that I fancy the 'landslide track'!

krummholz

Beautiful! As an aside, the scenery in Vermont is very similar, maybe a bit craggier in places. New Hampshire is even more spectacular and almost "alpine", with many summits sticking up well above timberline. I have many pictures taken in the New England mountains but it's hard to choose one as the best! I will try to come up with something...

BasilValentine

Quote from: vandermolen on September 24, 2020, 11:42:18 PM
Great photos, although not sure that I fancy the 'landslide track'!

The Adirondacks are prone to large landslides. After Hurricane Irene in 2011 there were more than 20 major slides in a matter of days. It was like an amusement park opening up. So many new routes to walk! Here is one of the most famous Adirondack routes, on Mt. Colden. From a deep glacial lake surrounded by thousand foot cliffs one ascends the defile in the lower middle-frame, then out onto that bright white slide track (new in 2011) nearly to the summit.

André

Very impressive. Reminds me of my youth  ::).

vandermolen

Quote from: BasilValentine on September 25, 2020, 05:46:30 AM
The Adirondacks are prone to large landslides. After Hurricane Irene in 2011 there were more than 20 major slides in a matter of days. It was like an amusement park opening up. So many new routes to walk! Here is one of the most famous Adirondack routes, on Mt. Colden. From a deep glacial lake surrounded by thousand foot cliffs one ascends the defile in the lower middle-frame, then out onto that bright white slide track (new in 2011) nearly to the summit.
Extraordinary!

Today, as a belated 90th birthday present for my father-in-law we took my in laws to Hampton Court Palace, sometime home of Henry VIII. It has beautiful grounds.