Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2020, 12:12:48 PM
Extraordinary!

Today, as a belated 90th birthday present for my father-in-law we took my in laws to Hampton Court Palace, sometime home of Henry VIII. It has beautiful grounds.

Oh, neat!  I'd love to see that sometime.  Hope that everyone, especially your father-in-law, enjoyed it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2020, 12:28:08 PM
Oh, neat!  I'd love to see that sometime.  Hope that everyone, especially your father-in-law, enjoyed it?

PD

Yes, we all had a great day thank you PD. My mother-in-law has already been on the phone saying that they would like to go again. The staff were brilliant (especially as 50% of them are about to be made redundant) in accommodating my in law's wheel chairs and finding special routes and lifts for us. I hope that you too get there one day PD.

Installation at Hampton Court Palace
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2020, 12:32:17 PM
Yes, we all had a great day thank you PD. My mother-in-law has already been on the phone saying that they would like to go again. The staff were brilliant (especially as 50% of them are about to be made redundant) in accommodating my in law's wheel chairs and finding special routes and lifts for us. I hope that you too get there one day PD.

Installation at Hampton Court Palace

I'm happy to hear that things went so well....yeah staff!!!  I feel horrible that 50% of them will be laid off though!!  Any system in place in which they will be hired back when things are normal?  At least first offerings (I imagine that at least a goodly amount of them will be trying to find new jobs)?

And, I'll make it there....somehow, someday.  Thanks Jeffrey for your kind wishes.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2020, 01:18:42 PM
I'm happy to hear that things went so well....yeah staff!!!  I feel horrible that 50% of them will be laid off though!!  Any system in place in which they will be hired back when things are normal?  At least first offerings (I imagine that at least a goodly amount of them will be trying to find new jobs)?

And, I'll make it there....somehow, someday.  Thanks Jeffrey for your kind wishes.

PD

Hi PD I had a chat with one of the guides and she told me that there was a good chance that they will be re-appointed when and if things return to normal. It is the current uncertainly which is dispiriting for them. I've twice had to reapply for my job and I know how stressful that is.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 27, 2020, 06:49:18 AM
Hi PD I had a chat with one of the guides and she told me that there was a good chance that they will be re-appointed when and if things return to normal. It is the current uncertainly which is dispiriting for them. I've twice had to reapply for my job and I know how stressful that is.
You've had to reapply for your current teaching position?  And twice?!  ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

By coincidence at my office, 50% of us are being laid off next month and we are all re-applying for our own jobs right now...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 27, 2020, 02:20:30 PM
By coincidence at my office, 50% of us are being laid off next month and we are all re-applying for our own jobs right now...
Wow!  :(  All the best to you Brian.  I hope that everything works out well in the end for you.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The economic and psychological impact of lay-off could substantially differ depending upon the governmental unemployment insurance policy of the nation one live. If you live in the U.S.A., you have to constantly worry about lay-off until you retire and you will economically suffer a lot when you are laid-off.

https://www.statista.com/chart/21701/jobless-benefits-selected-countries-oecd/

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 27, 2020, 02:18:52 PM
You've had to reapply for your current teaching position?  And twice?!  ???

PD

No, my previous one PD. On both occasions I managed to hang on to my job. Once was when there was a merger with another school and the other time was when they thought that we simply were not good enough. It was incredibly divisive (intentionally I suspect) and worrying.

You can see why I like long walks in the countryside!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2020, 10:21:30 AM
No, my previous one PD. On both occasions I managed to hang on to my job. Once was when there was a merger with another school and the other time was when they thought that we simply were not good enough. It was incredibly divisive (intentionally I suspect) and worrying.

You can see why I like long walks in the countryside!
You?!  No way!!

And, yes, keep moving!  Get those endorphins going.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 29, 2020, 12:13:55 PM
You?!  No way!!

And, yes, keep moving!  Get those endorphins going.  :)

PD
Thanks PD  ;D

Actually yesterday I did a great walk over the South Downs, over Windover Hill. The weather was fine and there were some great views. I took quite a few photos on my mobile but I'm having problems emailing them to myself. Anyway I found a couple of images online of the route - that's the sea in the distance. 'SDW' on the lower image finger-post stands for South Downs Way:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2020, 12:33:19 PM
Thanks PD  ;D

Actually yesterday I did a great walk over the South Downs, over Windover Hill. The weather was fine and there were some great views. I took quite a few photos on my mobile but I'm having problems emailing them to myself. Anyway I found a couple of images online of the route - that's the sea in the distance. 'SDW' on the lower image finger-post stands for South Downs Way:

I do envy your walks Jeffrey; you have such beautiful countryside....and so close too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 12, 2020, 03:05:45 PM
I do envy your walks Jeffrey; you have such beautiful countryside....and so close too!

PD

Yes PD - we are lucky to live here. I was walking in the village yesterday on a shopping errand to buy some parsnips (my life is so exciting); my car was in the garage for a service (no doubt incredibly expensive) and as I was walking I could hear cows and it occurred to me just how rural it is round here. We are about a 30 minute drive to the South Downs and it's easy to get up to London on the train. We only live here (I'm from central London) because at the time when we moved it was an equidistant location between my wife's job and my own.

PS I managed to email some of my own photos from that walk - so, here goes:

I've included the nice church at Jevington, where I popped in for a few moments. We spent a bit longer in the pub at the end of our walk  :).

Pohjolas Daughter

Beautiful!  Looks very tranquil.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Really lovely scenes & photos there ... so the silvery sea can be seen in the background?

André

Earth and clouds communing. Makes one feel so close to nature...

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 13, 2020, 04:48:23 AM
Really lovely scenes & photos there ... so the silvery sea can be seen in the background?

Yes, it was quite beautiful with the light reflecting on the water and a quite fantastic cloudscape, although it was a fine and quite warm and sunny day for walking. The first and third photos show the sea in the background. The order in which the photos were taken were 2,3,1,4.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on October 13, 2020, 05:22:19 AM
Earth and clouds communing. Makes one feel so close to nature...

Yes, I agree.

vandermolen

As part of my new health regime I've decided that I should go for a walk every day. So, this afternoon, despite the fact that it was bucketing down with rain I drove up to Ashdown Forest (home of Winnie-the Pooh). Amazingly, as I approached the car park the rain stopped and I took some photos:
[/img][/img]

Pohjolas Daughter

A good sign then (rain stopping).  :)  Was your hike very soggy/muddy?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter