Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 28, 2020, 08:25:52 AM
A good sign then (rain stopping).  :)  Was your hike very soggy/muddy?

PD
Well, I was up there again today and got caught in a hailstorm but otherwise it was fine!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 28, 2020, 11:29:18 AM
Well, I was up there again today and got caught in a hailstorm but otherwise it was fine!
Good for you with sticking with the regular walks/hikes Jeffrey!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 29, 2020, 12:45:07 PM
Good for you with sticking with the regular walks/hikes Jeffrey!  :)

PD

Since we couldn't see family over Christmas we did more walks that usual. Since I've now entered the 20th Century ( 8)) and have worked out how to send photos from my mobile phone to the laptop I thought that I'd show some photos here. They are all of local walks on Ashdown Forest (Memorial stone for A A Milne and E H Shepherd of 'Winnie the Pooh' fame) or of Firle Beacon on the South Downs or of the coast near Pevensey near where William the Conqueror landed in Pre-Brexit Britain.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

More

MusicTurner

Those are some lovely photos & impressive landscapes!

Pohjolas Daughter

Nice Jeffrey!  :)

And is that the 'other half' in one of your photos?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 06, 2021, 07:48:09 AM
Those are some lovely photos & impressive landscapes!
Thank you - I enjoy taking the photos on my walks.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 06, 2021, 08:46:13 AM
Nice Jeffrey!  :)

And is that the 'other half' in one of your photos?

PD
Indeed it is PD, although I'm fairly sure that neither of us have ever referred to the other one as 'my other half'  ;D

The photo was taken in the village of Firle, Sussex before we walked up Firle Beacon (which you can see in the next photo and then the views from the top). I took the photo as the start of the walk, which is usually the only time that we are actually together as she is invariably miles ahead of me and we communicate by mobile phone!

Rosalba

Usually we walk round the streets of our little Yorkshire town - there are green verges, a market square, lots of Georgian houses, also a field-and-woodland community park. We can also be walking through country fields in five minutes from our house. Or we can drive to several picturesque villages within five or ten miles of where we live, and it's one of those photos that I hope to share now.

Sutton-on-the-Forest this November.

vandermolen

Quote from: Rosalba on January 06, 2021, 12:31:25 PM
Usually we walk round the streets of our little Yorkshire town - there are green verges, a market square, lots of Georgian houses, also a field-and-woodland community park. We can also be walking through country fields in five minutes from our house. Or we can drive to several picturesque villages within five miles of where we live, and it's one of those photos that I hope to share now.

Sutton-on-the-Forest this November.
How nice! I like the look of the pub over the road. We look forward to the day when, after a walk, we can drop into the pub for a drink as in 'the good old days'. I hope that we never take these little, but important, pleasures for granted ever again.

Rosalba

Quote from: vandermolen on January 06, 2021, 12:57:50 PM
How nice! I like the look of the pub over the road. We look forward to the day when, after a walk, we can drop into the pub for a drink as in 'the good old days'. I hope that we never take these little, but important, pleasures for granted ever again.

Hear hear!!!

vandermolen

Here are some recent local walks during lockdown featuring 'my other/better half' in two locations. The frosty day pictures are near a village called Groombridge in Kent. In the photo featuring my wife standing by a direction sign you can see a Second World War pill-box (Gun emplacment) in the background to the right. The farmers/landowners are (fortunately) not allowed to demolish them due to their historical importance. They were there to guard the railway line which is immediately behind me (not in the photo). The two other images were taken on nearby Ashdown Forest. The hills in the background in the third photo down are the South Downs and beyond them is the English Channel. In the lowest picture you can see quite a few other people around. More people are getting out into the countryside for exercise and mental relaxation as there is not much else to do. We are lucky to have nice countryside near to us:

André

I like # 2. Nice subject and nice shot !

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 21, 2021, 12:25:48 PM
I like # 2. Nice subject and nice shot !

Thanks André. I was pleased with that one too.

Pohjolas Daughter

Any new walks or trips for anyone here?  I really want to venture further afield to see more nature sites and places whether for birding or just to get a good walk/hike in and see some new topography.  Have also been thinking how much I miss going to museums, but perhaps that's for another thread.  Weather has been warming up nicely, so I hope to soon put some air in my bike's tires and getting more active.  Need to check into rules too re masks and special bike trails....no idea what the current rules are.  Do many countries have rules about wearing masks whilst biking?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Have had some problems with my foot, so no long walks recently, but luckily cycling is still fine. Went in a car with a relative to the southern tip of the Amager island suburb of Copenhagen on Sunday, and did a small walk in an old fortress/moat area there, where we never were before, and the sky was impressive. There was also an area with houseboats and alternative housing projects in containers etc.

Masks are only indoors and in queues here in DK, not when biking.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 23, 2021, 02:04:54 PM
Have had some problems with my foot, so no long walks recently, but luckily cycling is still fine. Went in a car with a relative to the southern tip of the Amager island suburb of Copenhagen on Sunday, and did a small walk in an old fortress/moat area there, where we never were before, and the sky was impressive. There was also an area with houseboats and alternative housing projects in containers etc.
How beautiful!

And, I'm so sorry to hear about your foot....hopefully it's temporary?

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Thanks, well, I got a diagnosis of some osteoarthritis in one foot, and also got a really hard hit on a toe recently, before the diagnosis. Add to this a swollen right hand for some days, when recently falling on my bike at a crossing with humid, irregular cobblestones, so that I had to go to the emergency unit. And that fall was on the evening before a small operation for some not so dangerous skin cancer. So overall it's been a bit messy recently ... :)

But luckily, things are improving now ... and I'm looking forward to being more outdoors during the Spring.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 23, 2021, 02:36:01 PM
Thanks, well, I got a diagnosis of some osteoarthritis in one foot, and also got a really hard hit on a toe recently, before the diagnosis. Add to this a swollen right hand for some days, when recently falling on my bike at a crossing with humid, irregular cobblestones, so that I had to go to the emergency unit. And that fall was on the evening before a small operation for some not so dangerous skin cancer. So overall it's been a bit messy recently ... :)

But luckily, things are improving now ... and I'm looking forward to being more outdoors during the Spring.
I feel for you....that is a bunch of bad news and falls all in a row.  Just please, take skin cancer seriously.  Hopefully, it was a minor event.  But do mind your sunscreen and visiting a dermatologist regularly.

All the best to you,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, I will. Thank you for your thoughts  :)