Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 23, 2021, 02:36:01 PM
Thanks, well, I got a diagnosis of some osteoarthritis in one foot, and also got a really hard hit on a toe recently, before the diagnosis. Add to this a swollen right hand for some days, when recently falling on my bike at a crossing with humid, irregular cobblestones, so that I had to go to the emergency unit. And that fall was on the evening before a small operation for some not so dangerous skin cancer. So overall it's been a bit messy recently ... :)

But luckily, things are improving now ... and I'm looking forward to being more outdoors during the Spring.
Wishing you well MT.
I have arthritis in my foot - it comes and goes but if I wear walking boots it's fine. I used to get bad pain in my knee and I was worried about not being able to go walking in the countryside. Then, a colleague at work recommended Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets and, for whatever reason, the pain went away.
Recently, my wife had a bad accident, fell down the stairs, knocked herself unconscious, broke her clavicle, two ribs and punctured a lung. Luckily I was here to call for an ambulance. After a week in hospital and an operation she is recovering well. So, we have been on some local walks, to Sheffield Park and to Burwash, the home of Rudyard Kipling, the writer. I was delighted to discover a new sculpture of him sitting on a bench in the village. We often visit his home 'Batemans' which is open to the public. Kipling's son John (Jack) who was killed at the Battle of Loos in the First World War is featured on the war memorial in the village. There is a drama 'My boy Jack' about his life. Here are some photos (Kipling's home is the bottom picture and Sheffield Park is the second one down):
[/img][/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Here's another photo of Sheffield Park and a surprising new addition to the pond in Kipling's garden!
[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 24, 2021, 01:42:57 AM
Wishing you well MT.
I have arthritis in my foot - it comes and goes but if I wear walking boots it's fine. I used to get bad pain in my knee and I was worried about not being able to go walking in the countryside. Then, a colleague at work recommended Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets and, for whatever reason, the pain went away.
Recently, my wife had a bad accident, fell down the stairs, knocked herself unconscious, broke her clavicle, two ribs and punctured a lung. Luckily I was here to call for an ambulance. After a week in hospital and an operation she is recovering well. So, we have been on some local walks, to Sheffield Park and to Burwash, the home of Rudyard Kipling, the writer. I was delighted to discover a new sculpture of him sitting on a bench in the village. We often visit his home 'Batemans' which is open to the public. Kipling's son John (Jack) who was killed at the Battle of Loos in the First World War is featured on the war memorial in the village. There is a drama 'My boy Jack' about his life. Here are some photos (Kipling's home is the bottom picture and Sheffield Park is the second one down):
[/img][/img]
Jeffrey,

Oh, no!  How horrible!  Glad that she is recovering well though.  So this happened at your home?  That must have been quite frightening for both of you.  Glad that you were there when it happened though.

Batemans looks like a very lovely home and estate.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Wishing you well MT.

Nasty one, Jeffrey. Speedy recovery wishes to Madame Vandermolen  :)

Your mention of Batemans took me right back. I spent a week holiday visiting East Sussex (back in 2004 !!) and Batemans was one of my visits. I just had a look at my pictures archives. Did a lot that week. Hastings, Battle, Rye, Batemans, Bexhill, Beachy Head, Alfriston, Birling Gap, Bodiam Castle, Eastbourne, Pevensey Castle, Saint Leonards, Winchelsea.

Batemans & Rye were really the high points.  8)

I also took a drive down to Dungeness. Now, that was eerie.  ???
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 24, 2021, 02:22:41 AM
Jeffrey,

Oh, no!  How horrible!  Glad that she is recovering well though.  So this happened at your home?  That must have been quite frightening for both of you.  Glad that you were there when it happened though.

Batemans looks like a very lovely home and estate.

PD

Thanks PD.
Batemans is one of our favourite local places to visit and, even as of now, when the house is shut there are some lovely local walks from the house, which are well signposted. Yes, it was in our house. The staircase is quite steep and she was carrying a glass and a bowl of popcorn which meant that she wasn't holding the bannister and she came down backwards. Although she is very slim and small it sounded like a fridge had been thrown down the stairs. I found her lying unconscious surrounded by popcorn. As soon as I'd consumed the popcorn I put her into the recovery position and called for an ambulance (I didn't really consume the popcorn  ;D). Yes, it was frightening and I was not allowed to go with her to hospital. Anyway, she is progressing very well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 24, 2021, 02:51:17 AM
Nasty one, Jeffrey. Speedy recovery wishes to Madame Vandermolen  :)

Your mention of Batemans took me right back. I spent a week holiday visiting East Sussex (back in 2004 !!) and Batemans was one of my visits. I just had a look at my pictures archives. Did a lot that week. Hastings, Battle, Rye, Batemans, Bexhill, Beachy Head, Alfriston, Birling Gap, Bodiam Castle, Eastbourne, Pevensey Castle, Saint Leonards, Winchelsea.

Batemans & Rye were really the high points.  8)

I also took a drive down to Dungeness. Now, that was eerie.  ???
Thanks Olivier!
All those places, apart from Dungeness are familiar to us. We had a nice few days away in Winchelsea some years ago. Rye is very nice as is Battle, if you have been there.

André

Typical british humour even in the most upsetting circumstances. Couldn't help laughing at your popcorn munching pause even as the whole scene must have been heart-stoppingly scary. All best wishes for a full recovery  :-*

vandermolen

Quote from: André on March 24, 2021, 04:42:53 AM
Typical british humour even in the most upsetting circumstances. Couldn't help laughing at your popcorn munching pause even as the whole scene must have been heart-stoppingly scary. All best wishes for a full recovery  :-*
Thanks André  :)
Actually, you'll be pleased to hear that it's an example of Canadian humour!
I stole the comment from my daughter's Canadian boyfriend who, when hearing about the incident, commented 'I wouldn't have been able to resist eating the popcorn!'

DavidW

A few favorite walks, well at local state parks.

Cheraw:

Myrtle Beach:

Huntington Beach:

Biffo

Wishing you well MT.
[/img][/img]

Sorry to hear about your troubles but glad to hear your wife is recovering well. Hope you will soon be able to get out and about.

steve ridgway

We're looking forward to revisiting a lot of favourite places from next Monday when some of the lockdown restrictions in England are eased. It's not easy to work out what's actually allowed in the confusing mix of actual laws and government "advice" but I'm hoping we'll be able to travel a lot further in England without the police being able to arbitrarily fine us depending on what the individual officer feels at that moment is "unreasonable" (i.e. the seaside, Lake District, well known beauty spots etc.). I'm going to take the good camera and get plenty of photos while I have the chance in case the "irreversible" lifting of restrictions goes into reverse again.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 24, 2021, 06:02:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles but glad to hear your wife is recovering well. Hope you will soon be able to get out and about.
Thanks so much - she is already much more mobile and complaining about my slow pace on our walks - so that is more like 'business as usual'.

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on March 24, 2021, 05:27:23 AM
A few favorite walks, well at local state parks.

Cheraw:

Myrtle Beach:

Huntington Beach:

Amazing photos!

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 24, 2021, 07:56:17 AM
We're looking forward to revisiting a lot of favourite places from next Monday when some of the lockdown restrictions in England are eased. It's not easy to work out what's actually allowed in the confusing mix of actual laws and government "advice" but I'm hoping we'll be able to travel a lot further in England without the police being able to arbitrarily fine us depending on what the individual officer feels at that moment is "unreasonable" (i.e. the seaside, Lake District, well known beauty spots etc.). I'm going to take the good camera and get plenty of photos while I have the chance in case the "irreversible" lifting of restrictions goes into reverse again.
Yes, it's very confusing!

MusicTurner

Wishing you well MT.
[/img][/img]

Thank you for the sympathy, I'm also still in the age where a good deal of recovering is an option, and it's really nice to hear that your wife is doing better too, following that nasty accident. Especially when active outdoor life means so much for us people ... I've heard about the benefits of glucosamine & will definitely try it later, currently it's what we call 'fish oil' tablets I'm trying, and I've also bought Nigella seeds oil, recommended by someone, and will be buying some improved shoes. Chondroitin I don't know, will explore. I went for a foot X-ray today, but am actually feeling better than in quite a long time, even after cycling quite a bit yesterday.

Thank you for the interesting posts, it's always nice with those shapshots of quintessentially English scenes, to explore and bring back good memories of one's own travels and other acquaintances with the British heritage ! :)

steve ridgway

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 25, 2021, 02:51:44 AM
I've heard about the benefits of glucosamine & will definitely try it later, currently it's what we call 'fish oil' tablets I'm trying, and I've also bought Nigella seeds oil, recommended by someone, and will be buying some improved shoes. Chondroitin I don't know, will explore.

We started our first dog on Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets which helped with her joint problems. When we told the vet he said yes he'd used them on his dog successfully but wasn't allowed to mention them first as they hadn't been approved by the authorities. ::)

vandermolen

As my wife is now recovering from her bad accident (fell down stairs, broke ribs and clavicle, punctured lung, unconscious, one week in hospital, operation to repair clavicle) we are starting to get out more and the other day we went for a walk around Penshurst Place, which is local. It is 14th Century and was the birthplace of the Elizabethan Poet Sir Philip Sidney. The House is closed but the gardens are open and there are some great walks nearby. As you can see, it was unusually quiet:

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 25, 2021, 02:51:44 AM
Thank you for the sympathy, I'm also still in the age where a good deal of recovering is an option, and it's really nice to hear that your wife is doing better too, following that nasty accident. Especially when active outdoor life means so much for us people ... I've heard about the benefits of glucosamine & will definitely try it later, currently it's what we call 'fish oil' tablets I'm trying, and I've also bought Nigella seeds oil, recommended by someone, and will be buying some improved shoes. Chondroitin I don't know, will explore. I went for a foot X-ray today, but am actually feeling better than in quite a long time, even after cycling quite a bit yesterday.

Thank you for the interesting posts, it's always nice with those shapshots of quintessentially English scenes, to explore and bring back good memories of one's own travels and other acquaintances with the British heritage ! :)
My pleasure and hope that you continue to make good progress. If I'm wearing my 'Hi-Tec' walking boots I usually have no pain at all on our various expeditions.

steve ridgway

Penshurst Place looks wonderful to have to oneself. ;D

I've started taking one or other of the dogs for an extra walk from the house after lunch and took the camera along today.