Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 09, 2021, 10:39:29 AM
Had a lovely walk round the Karlstrup Kalkbrud old quarry lake, around 20 km south from Copenhagen.

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 09, 2021, 10:52:43 AM
Yesterday I cycled out to Dragør (20 km away) an old fishing village, now an upscale place..

Very nice MT.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

steve ridgway

Yes it looks lovely in Denmark, very bright and clean. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 09, 2021, 10:39:29 AM
Had a lovely walk round the Karlstrup Kalkbrud old quarry lake, around 20 km south from Copenhagen. It's a local place, not very well-known, but quite exotically looking, with some huge fish in the crystal clear, turquoise waters. Could be a lot of other places than Denmark. Some people were fishing, though it wasn't allowed, cf. the signs there.

The first really warm day this year, weather has been mostly chilly, for longer than average.

We also visited some open art studios at a former airforce base in Værløse, very interesting, with some talkative/informative people around.

EDIT: Turns out that fishing is allowed if you have a special club membership.
What beautiful waters!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 09, 2021, 10:52:43 AM
Yesterday I cycled out to Dragør (20 km away) an old fishing village, now an upscale place, where locals are grumpy about the likely prospect of becoming a UNESCO site, due to increased tourist invasion. I toured the village and the sea front on foot. It was a quiet day with a friendly atmosphere, and a couple sitting on their terrace invited me in to see their grounds, when they saw my interest in their cosy house designs.
Very nice photos! + the quarry lake. I've only been to Denmark once (day-trip 'mini-cruse' to Esjberg). The sea was terribly rough, so that by the time we got to Esjberg we, more-or-less, had to get back on the ship for the return journey! My friend, rather unwisely, eat a large smorgasbord meal whilst we were still in port and was then ill all the way back. My brother has been to visit Nielsen's home - a more successful trip I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2021, 01:21:44 AM
Very nice photos! + the quarry lake. I've only been to Denmark once (day-trip 'mini-cruse' to Esjberg). The sea was terribly rough, so that by the time we got to Esjberg we, more-or-less, had to get back on the ship for the return journey! My friend, rather unwisely, eat a large smorgasbord meal whilst we were still in port and was then ill all the way back. My brother has been to visit Nielsen's home - a more successful trip I think.

I once spent a week in Svendborg for work. We successfully ate loads of smorgasbord (washed down with akvavit and lager) although were dying for a curry when we got back. :P

MusicTurner

Thanks folks. I did some further research on the inviting quarry lake with the blue water at Karlstrup.They say that it's deep, and the water tends to be surprisingly cold just a bit below the surface, making the contrast in temperature even unexpectedly dangerous for swimmers. But they won't be introducing a ban on any swimming there. The lake was an unexpected find, and looks more southern or outlandish than much of our local scenery. A bloke and his son were climbing almost vertical cliffs there with a hammer, hunting for fossils ...

Esbjerg is probably not the most charming place in DK, it's a new town, but those UK ferries are missed these days, in spite of the rough waters there were at times. I also went to Nielsen's birthplace on Funen last year, but it's rather sparse, and the surroundings include a highway right next to it, yet still it's nice to know that he actually lived there. Generally, we could do better as regards museums dealing with our classical music heritage. Composers have often had interesting lives, knowing many people, and there are actually quite a few such potential Danish candidates ...   I visited the Svendborg area just a month ago, including staying at a B&B on the nearby island of Tåsinge, the place for the original Elvira Madigan story, commemorated ever since. It's a nice, often pretty, and diverse region, recommendable. I might be going there again this summer, including to some of the smaller islands.

steve ridgway

Alderley Edge this morning, including entrance to ancient copper mines and view to Jodrell Bank radio telescope.

MusicTurner

Back on tranquil, unpretentious Agersø island for a couple of nights with a tent at a campsite. Did a tour today, including some walks, the lush scenery of course being a contrast to the austerity of April and early Springtime earlier this year.

MusicTurner

Here's a farm booth selling hand-knitted socks (cheap, around 5-7 Euros; 'penge' means 'money'), typical Danish rapeseed fields, and a sauna barrell (5 persons maximum !) at the island harbour ...

DaveF

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 04, 2021, 04:56:24 AM
Alderley Edge this morning, including entrance to ancient copper mines and view to Jodrell Bank radio telescope.

Ah, so you're in that part of Cheshire.  Are you an Alan Garner fan (I hope)?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on June 05, 2021, 12:36:15 PM
Ah, so you're in that part of Cheshire.  Are you an Alan Garner fan (I hope)?

I did read The Weirdstone of Brisingamen many years ago and these woods are on his map. I've also been on a couple of tours of the mines which were very atmospheric, particularly as they've never been brought up to visitor attraction standard. We were round there again this morning.

steve ridgway

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 05, 2021, 12:12:33 PM
Here's a farm booth selling hand-knitted socks (cheap, around 5-7 Euros; 'penge' means 'money'), typical Danish rapeseed fields, and a sauna barrell (5 persons maximum !) at the island harbour ...

This looks very nice although I'm not a fan of the yellow weed. :'(

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 05, 2021, 12:05:18 PM
Back on tranquil, unpretentious Agersø island for a couple of nights with a tent at a campsite. Did a tour today, including some walks, the lush scenery of course being a contrast to the austerity of April and early Springtime earlier this year.

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 05, 2021, 12:12:33 PM

Beautiful!  Are you able to swim around there?  How's the water temp?

Hadn't heard of a sauna barrel before.  How are they?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 07, 2021, 05:51:00 AM
Beautiful!  Are you able to swim around there?  How's the water temp?

Hadn't heard of a sauna barrel before.  How are they?

PD

Sea water is now 18-19 degrees C, but the current heat wave will make it warmer soon. I only took a morning swim, which was certainly doable. Just had 1 whole day and two halfdays there. Beaches on Agersø apparently weren't really top notch, last year nearby Omø had better ones. Hope to do many more trips around the country this summer, since going abroad will be cancelled, or very limited.

I don't know much about the sauna barrell, but it was a funny feature for users of the harbour and summer guests on the island :). The price is apparently modest, DKK 40 or less than 5 Euros per hour. Generally, Finns, Swedes and Norwegians are probably more into saunas than we are. But here you could jump right into the water afterwards.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 07, 2021, 05:56:16 AM
Sea water is now 18-19 degrees C, but the current heat wave will make it warmer soon. I only took a morning swim, which was certainly doable. Just had 1 whole day and two halfdays there. Beaches on Agersø apparently weren't really top notch, last year nearby Omø had better ones. Hope to do many more trips around the country this summer, since going abroad will be cancelled, or very limited.

I don't know much about the sauna barrell, but it was a funny feature for users of the harbour and summer guests on the island :). The price is apparently modest, DKK 40 or less than 5 Euros per hour. Generally, Finns, Swedes and Norwegians are probably more into saunas than we are. But here you could jump right into the water afterwards.
Interesting to read about their pros and cons....particularly during wintertime.  I enjoyed using one when I belonged to a gym that had one.

https://www.saunatimes.com/building-a-sauna/types-of-saunas/10-things-you-may-want-to-know-about-barrel-saunas/

Went outside to water my veg/herb garden and to fill up the bird bath.  Already toasty at 8-something this morning!  Yesterday I did see my first cherry tomato forming on a plant though.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 07, 2021, 06:12:36 AM
Interesting to read about their pros and cons....particularly during wintertime.  I enjoyed using one when I belonged to a gym that had one.

https://www.saunatimes.com/building-a-sauna/types-of-saunas/10-things-you-may-want-to-know-about-barrel-saunas/

Went outside to water my veg/herb garden and to fill up the bird bath.  Already toasty at 8-something this morning!  Yesterday I did see my first cherry tomato forming on a plant though.  :)

PD

Lovely with all the delights of summer now, following such a harsh year. The host at the camp site was very much into birds and talked of the owls residing there, and there was also a hare with her 3 offsprings, who'd play shyly on the tenting grounds every evening, in spite of the people and dogs there.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know barrell saunas was that much a thing. So they probably bought a complete one for Agersø too, and didn't manufacture it by themselves ...

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 07, 2021, 06:12:36 AM

Went outside to water my veg/herb garden and to fill up the bird bath.  Already toasty at 8-something this morning! Yesterday I did see my first cherry tomato forming on a plant though.  :)

PD

Way ahead of me PD. :P
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 05, 2021, 12:05:18 PM
Very nice images. The last one reminds me of a setting for an Edvard Munch painting.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 04, 2021, 04:56:24 AM
Very nice Steve but where is Jodrell Bank?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 08, 2021, 11:12:33 PM
Way ahead of me PD. :P
Well, there are at least a few benefits from the heatwave and storms that we've been having lately...the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants like it; personally, I've hated the times that I've gone out lately and am doing my best to hang out by my a/c!  Your current weather sounds heavenly Irons!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter