Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 08, 2021, 03:34:53 AM
We've been walking round Wythenshawe Park a lot lately, it's less than 3 miles from home and has plenty of open parkland and wooded areas. Rather cloudy today but no actual rain.

We get a lot of wild parrots in the garden - they make a hell of a noise. Outside my house there's an enormous plane tree, a street tree, with a hole in it, which they use every year as a nesting spot. The contrast of the green of the parrot and the dappled peeling bark of the plane is rather nice.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 08, 2021, 03:34:53 AM
We've been walking round Wythenshawe Park a lot lately, it's less than 3 miles from home and has plenty of open parkland and wooded areas. Rather cloudy today but no actual rain.
Beautiful!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on July 08, 2021, 03:43:16 AM
We get a lot of wild parrots in the garden - they make a hell of a noise. Outside my house there's an enormous plane tree, a street tree, with a hole in it, which they use every year as a nesting spot. The contrast of the green of the parrot and the dappled peeling bark of the plane is rather nice.

We've only been seeing many of these parakeets in the last couple of years but they're pretty common now. It's more crows, wood pigeons and sparrows in our garden.

MusicTurner

Yet again staying a few days on the Stevns peninsula a bit south of Copenhagen, with the coastal cliffs that have become a UNESCO site, due to their geological interest.

Today I walked along a good part of the lovely 'Stevns Trampesti' hiking path, from Rødvig village, where I'm staying on a farm, about 6km up to Højerup village with the cliff-hanging, medieval church. This was a new section of the path for me. Having pulled my bike, I then cycled back. Glad that I could in spite of my at times aching foot.

The old limestone quarries include a gigantic, round hall for storing crushed stone powder, that would be dumped from the top center of the roof there.

Out on the sea, the Danish queen's old ship 'Dannebrog' was moving around, a beautiful sight, but photo-wise not that interesting.

There are also large Cold War underground fortifications dug out in a part of the cliffs, with guns etc., now a museum.

One can see up to Copenhagen and the bridge to Sweden, and southwards, down to the island of Møn.

There are no roads along the cliffs, only footpaths, I think about 20 km totally.

We've had a heat wave, but today was windy, yet beautiful and sunny.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 18, 2021, 11:05:49 AM
Yet again staying a few days on the Stevns peninsula a bit south of Copenhagen, with the coastal cliffs that have become a UNESCO site, due to their geological interest.

Today I walked along a good part of the lovely 'Stevns Trampesti' hiking path, from Rødvig village, where I'm staying on a farm, about 6km up to Højerup village with the cliff-hanging, medieval church. This was a new section of the path for me. Having pulled my bike, I then cycled back. Glad that I could in spite of my at times aching foot.

The old limestone quarries include a gigantic, round hall for storing crushed stone powder, that would be dumped from the top center of the roof there.

Out on the sea, the Danish queen's old ship 'Dannebrog' was moving around, a beautiful sight, but photo-wise not that interesting.

There are also large Cold War underground fortifications dug out in a part of the cliffs, with guns etc., now a museum.

One can see up to Copenhagen and the bridge to Sweden, and southwards, down to the island of Møn.

There are no roads along the cliffs, only footpaths, I think about 20 km totally.

We've had a heat wave, but today was windy, yet beautiful and sunny.
Terrific photos - I assume that the third photo down is the Cold War bunker.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

The interior is actually the quarry-related deposit hall from this round, peculiar, hat-like building (doors just stand open ...).

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 18, 2021, 08:37:23 PM
The interior is actually the quarry-related deposit hall from this round, peculiar, hat-like building (doors just stand open ...).

Going by the two figures walking away it is big.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Last Friday we did a three mile walk from Rudyard Kipling's house 'Bateman's' which is not far away. I liked the wooden sculpture of Kipling:

vandermolen

On Saturday, as it was hot, we set off early and did a c.7 mile walk on the South Downs near Firle. Look our for the WW2 bomb crater at the top right of one photo - a surreal sight up there. That's the English Channel in the distance, looking unusually blue:

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on July 19, 2021, 03:37:02 AM
Going by the two figures walking away it is big.

Got the measurements - the pyramid hall is 20 m high and 60 m wide. It dates from 1967. The whole quarry is being refurbished, in relation to future tourist visits and UNESCO obligations. They found some minute traces of old asbest in the floor sections, and it was thus closed for some time during investigations, but it has been measured not to be a danger to the public.

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2021, 03:58:09 AM
On Saturday, as it was hot, we set off early and did a c.7 mile walk on the South Downs near Firle. Look our for the WW2 bomb crater at the top right of one photo - a surreal sight up there. That's the English Channel in the distance, looking unusually blue:

Beautiful scenery, and with a certain desolate, hilly grandeur in spite of the agriculture. Perhaps a high summer landscape one doesn't typically associate with England, maybe-maybe with say central France a bit more ...

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 20, 2021, 02:04:46 AM
Got the measurements - the pyramid hall is 20 m high and 60 m wide. It dates from 1967. The whole quarry is being refurbished, in relation to future tourist visits and UNESCO obligations. They found some minute traces of old asbest in the floor sections, and it was thus closed for some time during investigations, but it has been measured not to be a danger to the public.

Thanks. Most impressive.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 20, 2021, 02:09:01 AM
Beautiful scenery, and with a certain desolate, hilly grandeur in spite of the agriculture. Perhaps a high summer landscape one doesn't typically associate with England, maybe-maybe with say central France a bit more ...
Thanks. It's fairly typical of rural Sussex but obviously high up.

vandermolen

Recently we've been in Lincolnshire to visit a recently bereaved university friend of my wife and we took the opportunity to have a few days away. Lincolnshire is not somewhere I know well but we had a very good time, including one or two nice walks. We were surprised how quiet the roads were even on weekdays. Included are photos that I took of the Humber Bridge and the statue of the poet Tennyson (complete with dog) at Lincoln Cathedral. The impressive sculpture (so much better than the naff one of Princess Diana and Mary Wollstonecraft in London) was by a great artist G.F. Watts (Stanford 6th Symphony was in his memory):

Irons

My favourite walk is along the coast from Aldeburgh to Thorpeness and back but being aware of one's limitations is sensible. The knees are not up to it anymore. Instead we clocked up a fair distance locating Britten's grave in the cemetery of Aldeburgh Parish Church. I found it surprising that both BB (on the left) and Peter Pears gravestone are so plain, name and birth/death dates that is all. The grave in the middle at the rear is Imogen Holst. Quite by accident in another part of the cemetery we stumbled on the grave of the music critic John Amis.

Any visit to Aldeburgh has to include the tribute to BB in the form of "Scallop Shell" - how can you miss it! Unlike most sculptures I think the shell is more impressive from distance with the surrounding coastline then up close.

steve ridgway

That "Scallop Shell" stands out very well on the flat beach. I was reading only yesterday that scallops have up to 200 very small eyes that don't operate by means of the usual lenses, but are actually constructed of parabolic mirrors. And they have a double layered retina . :o

MusicTurner

I guess you could compare it to an advanced smiley :)

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on August 24, 2021, 07:13:21 AM
My favourite walk is along the coast from Aldeburgh to Thorpeness and back but being aware of one's limitations is sensible. The knees are not up to it anymore. Instead we clocked up a fair distance locating Britten's grave in the cemetery of Aldeburgh Parish Church. I found it surprising that both BB (on the left) and Peter Pears gravestone are so plain, name and birth/death dates that is all. The grave in the middle at the rear is Imogen Holst. (...)

Any visit to Aldeburgh has to include the tribute to BB in the form of "Scallop Shell" - how can you miss it! Unlike most sculptures I think the shell is more impressive from distance with the surrounding coastline then up close.
(...)

That's interesting. One almost expects that lonely peacock-like shell thing on the beach to start moving ... a daring placement.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 24, 2021, 07:13:21 AM
My favourite walk is along the coast from Aldeburgh to Thorpeness and back but being aware of one's limitations is sensible. The knees are not up to it anymore. Instead we clocked up a fair distance locating Britten's grave in the cemetery of Aldeburgh Parish Church. I found it surprising that both BB (on the left) and Peter Pears gravestone are so plain, name and birth/death dates that is all. The grave in the middle at the rear is Imogen Holst. Quite by accident in another part of the cemetery we stumbled on the grave of the music critic John Amis.

I'm glad to see that you were able to make your yearly visit to Aldeburgh Irons!  The Scallop is great; love the shape and the words that were carved into it (tribute to Britten).

And thank you for the graveyard shots too!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2021, 03:58:09 AM
That's the English Channel in the distance, looking unusually blue:

True! The bluest I've ever seen the Channel was in Hythe, Kent about three years ago, it quite took my breath away. I'm so used to the usual grey/green.

Quote from: Irons on August 24, 2021, 07:13:21 AMI found it surprising that both BB (on the left) and Peter Pears gravestone are so plain, name and birth/death dates that is all.

I agree that is surprising. But actually on reflection, it does seem somehow appropriate considering the general aura of his character and music. Touchingly so.

Thanks for posting the pics, nice to see.