Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Interesting, thanks! We didn't having swimming stuff with us at the time, but if we had I'd have been sorely tempted. It looked so inviting! Perhaps the depth explains the unusual blue-ness?
Can't remember any anglers, but agree swimming and fishing hooks not a good mix! Anyway, will be better prepared next time!  :)

Irons

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 24, 2021, 07:45:14 AM
That "Scallop Shell" stands out very well on the flat beach. I was reading only yesterday that scallops have up to 200 very small eyes that don't operate by means of the usual lenses, but are actually constructed of parabolic mirrors. And they have a double layered retina . :o

The wonder of nature!

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 24, 2021, 08:59:55 AM

That's interesting. One almost expects that lonely peacock-like shell thing on the beach to start moving ... a daring placement.

Don't know how anchored but the shell is solid as a rock. Kids are often climbing all over it.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on August 24, 2021, 07:13:21 AM
My favourite walk is along the coast from Aldeburgh to Thorpeness and back but being aware of one's limitations is sensible. The knees are not up to it anymore. Instead we clocked up a fair distance locating Britten's grave in the cemetery of Aldeburgh Parish Church. I found it surprising that both BB (on the left) and Peter Pears gravestone are so plain, name and birth/death dates that is all. The grave in the middle at the rear is Imogen Holst. Quite by accident in another part of the cemetery we stumbled on the grave of the music critic John Amis.

Any visit to Aldeburgh has to include the tribute to BB in the form of "Scallop Shell" - how can you miss it! Unlike most sculptures I think the shell is more impressive from distance with the surrounding coastline then up close.

It is a very special place there. Loved that walk all the way to the boat lake and the House in the Clouds.

Thank you for posting those, Lol.

You can take the boy out of Suffolk, etc etc...  :)
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 24, 2021, 07:13:21 AM
My favourite walk is along the coast from Aldeburgh to Thorpeness and back but being aware of one's limitations is sensible. The knees are not up to it anymore. Instead we clocked up a fair distance locating Britten's grave in the cemetery of Aldeburgh Parish Church. I found it surprising that both BB (on the left) and Peter Pears gravestone are so plain, name and birth/death dates that is all. The grave in the middle at the rear is Imogen Holst. Quite by accident in another part of the cemetery we stumbled on the grave of the music critic John Amis.

Any visit to Aldeburgh has to include the tribute to BB in the form of "Scallop Shell" - how can you miss it! Unlike most sculptures I think the shell is more impressive from distance with the surrounding coastline then up close.

Very nice Lol - I was there a couple of years ago although I never got to the cemetery.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Have been to Bornholm island for a couple of stays recently, but am now in Northern Jutland for a few days with a family member, and took a walk along the North Sea in the sunset, from the B&B to Thorup Strand hamlet. One of the last places in Denmark where they pull up the fishing boats on the beach with a wire system and 'park' them there, since there's no harbour.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 25, 2021, 12:20:50 PM
Have been to Bornholm island for a couple of stays recently, but am now in Northern Jutland for a few days with a family, and took a walk along the North Sea in the sunset, from the B&B to Thorup Strand hamlet. One of the last places in Denmark where they pull up the fishing boats on the beach with a wire system and 'park' them there, since there's no harbour.
Looks very calm and lovely!  Enjoy your trip!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 26, 2021, 03:50:43 AM
Looks very calm and lovely!  Enjoy your trip!  :)

PD

Thank you. Today's photos were better & we had a great evening fish dish in an unpretentious eating hall next to the ships, the sea was raging, but there was evening sun too.

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 25, 2021, 01:05:53 AM
It is a very special place there. Loved that walk all the way to the boat lake and the House in the Clouds.

Thank you for posting those, Lol.

You can take the boy out of Suffolk, etc etc...  :)

Is the house in the clouds the windmill, Olivier?

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2021, 03:40:50 AM
Very nice Lol - I was there a couple of years ago although I never got to the cemetery.

We would never have found Britten's grave, only my wife had the brilliant idea of finding an image on Google. After that, relatively easy.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 26, 2021, 11:48:56 AM
Thank you. Today's photos were better & we had a great evening fish dish in an unpretentious eating hall next to the ships, the sea was raging, but there was evening sun too.

Lovely photo.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on August 27, 2021, 12:00:00 AM
Is the house in the clouds the windmill, Olivier?

Yes the red and black former windmill, turned into flats, sticking out of the trees. Lovely conversion, except for taking the shopping up  ;D
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 25, 2021, 12:20:50 PM
Have been to Bornholm island for a couple of stays recently, but am now in Northern Jutland for a few days with a family member, and took a walk along the North Sea in the sunset, from the B&B to Thorup Strand hamlet. One of the last places in Denmark where they pull up the fishing boats on the beach with a wire system and 'park' them there, since there's no harbour.
Looks absolutely beautiful.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Wonderful! Looks like a painting by J M W Turner (maybe a relative of yours?  ;D).

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 27, 2021, 12:05:32 AM
Yes the red and black former windmill, turned into flats, sticking out of the trees. Lovely conversion, except for taking the shopping up  ;D

Ahh, thanks.

flyingdutchman

I usually take a walk up a ridge in East Honolulu that is about 4 miles round trip.

Pohjolas Daughter

Fresh fish....yummmm!  ;D  Looks like a beautiful place to visit.

PD
Quote from: flyingdutchman on August 28, 2021, 11:35:53 PM
I usually take a walk up a ridge in East Honolulu that is about 4 miles round trip.
I'll bet that that is a beautiful hike!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Here are some images from a walk that my wife and I went on last Saturday (I would have been quite happy to stay at home, read the newspaper, play with the cat and listen to my CDs  ::)) Anyway, it was a beautiful walk and good exercise. It started from the village of East Dean on the South Coast and then follows the 'Seven Sisters' cliffs for a few miles, with spectacular views of the cliffs and the English Channel. Sections were a bit steep and maybe not the wisest choice for someone currently suffering from vertigo and balance problems! On Saturday we are going to Stockholm but that, sadly, is for my brother-in-law's funeral. We are staying for few nights so might get a chance to look around the city and the beautiful archipelago. If so I'll try to take some photos:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 29, 2021, 10:39:54 PM
Here are some images from a walk that my wife and I went on last Saturday (I would have been quite happy to stay at home, read the newspaper, play with the cat and listen to my CDs  ::)) Anyway, it was a beautiful walk and good exercise. It started from the village of East Dean on the South Coast and then follows the 'Seven Sisters' cliffs for a few miles, with spectacular views of the cliffs and the English Channel. Sections were a bit steep and maybe not the wisest choice for someone currently suffering from vertigo and balance problems! On Saturday we are going to Stockholm but that, sadly, is for my brother-in-law's funeral. We are staying for few nights so might get a chance to look around the city and the beautiful archipelago. If so I'll try to take some photos:

Take care, Jeffrey. I was reading yesterday that there is surprisingly a gang culture in Stockholm that has got out of control.

MusicTurner

That's first and foremost in some Stockholm suburbs, possibly with some problems near the Central Station too.

Stockholm is a beautiful city, of course especially the centre of Gamla Stan. Very expensive, though - and budget options are few and far between.

steve ridgway

Well done for completing the walk Jeffrey. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 30, 2021, 08:21:53 AM
Well done for completing the walk Jeffrey. 8)
Thanks Steve - it was a relief not to have call out Air-Sea Rescue  ;D