Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 30, 2021, 01:09:52 AM
Take care, Jeffrey. I was reading yesterday that there is surprisingly a gang culture in Stockholm that has got out of control.
I read that too Lol. Perfect timing for my visit!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 30, 2021, 08:21:53 AM
Well done for completing the walk Jeffrey. 8)
+1  Though the cat might have been annoyed at with you for less playtime; or then again, happy to have been able to have taken [yet another] nap.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 30, 2021, 10:42:49 AM
+1  Though the cat might have been annoyed at with you for less playtime; or then again, happy to have been able to have taken [yet another] nap.  ;)

PD
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Another walk yesterday - 6 miles around Bodiam Castle. The river is the Rother from where the village I live in gets its name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodiam_Castle

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2021, 12:21:26 AM
Another walk yesterday - 6 miles around Bodiam Castle. The river is the Rother from where the village I live in gets its name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodiam_Castle

No shortcuts through the castle then. ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 31, 2021, 03:54:33 AM
Perhaps added exercise:  rowing over to it?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 31, 2021, 03:54:33 AM
Haha - no but we did visit the castle after our walk and, as there is a bridge across, I didn't have to swim!

My wife liked to look at the potted plants for sale at the castle; personally I was much more interested in the second-hand bookshop (with strict instructions not to buy anything - 'YOU DON'T NEED ANY MORE BOOKS!')  ::)

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 31, 2021, 03:57:01 AM
Perhaps added exercise:  rowing over to it?  :)

PD

We saw quite a few people in canoes on the River Rother yesterday.

Roasted Swan

On a walk near me - a disused quarry in Somerset - one for the group's geologists!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 31, 2021, 05:23:39 AM
On a walk near me - a disused quarry in Somerset - one for the group's geologists!
Very nice.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 31, 2021, 05:23:39 AM

Very obvious layers there. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2021, 05:04:34 AM
Haha - no but we did visit the castle after our walk and, as there is a bridge across, I didn't have to swim!

My wife liked to look at the potted plants for sale at the castle; personally I was much more interested in the second-hand bookshop (with strict instructions not to buy anything - 'YOU DON'T NEED ANY MORE BOOKS!')  ::)
Looks like that's Bodiam Castle?

I did a quick read-through the Wiki article about it and noticed that they have done restoration work on it over the years.  Bet that it's interesting to explore.

And now how many books did you manage to smuggle home Jeffrey?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 31, 2021, 05:56:07 AM
Looks like that's Bodiam Castle?

I did a quick read-through the Wiki article about it and noticed that they have done restoration work on it over the years.  Bet that it's interesting to explore.

And now how many books did you manage to smuggle home Jeffrey?  ;)

PD
Hi PD - yes, it's Bodiam Castle - I placed the Wiki link to it above. Sadly no books as I left my rucksack with my wife, which negated any smuggling opportunities. Still, I saw a couple of History and Art History books of interest, so, next time... >:D

vandermolen

I was in Stockholm, earlier this week for a sad reason (my brother-in-law's funeral) but I had a lovely day with the British/Swedish family walking around Stockholm, including, on my own, visiting the amazing Vasa Museum where the battleship, which sunk almost immediately after being launched in 1628, is 98% perfectly preserved - it was like being able to go back 400 years in time:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2021, 12:57:38 AM
I was in Stockholm, earlier this week for a sad reason (my brother-in-law's funeral) but I had a lovely day with the British/Swedish family walking around Stockholm, including, on my own, visiting the amazing Vasa Museum where the battleship, which sunk almost immediately after being launched in 1628, is 98% perfectly preserved - it was like being able to go back 400 years in time:
I remember going there years ago.  Yes, it is cool to see that ship.   :)

Again, sorry for the reason for your sad trip, but glad that you were able to and feeling like exploring a bit.

PD

p.s.  What did you see/experience regarding Covid restrictions, etc. whilst you were there?
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2021, 01:08:25 AM
I remember going there years ago.  Yes, it is cool to see that ship.   :)

Again, sorry for the reason for your sad trip, but glad that you were able to and feeling like exploring a bit.

PD

p.s.  What did you see/experience regarding Covid restrictions, etc. whilst you were there?
OT
Thank you PD.
Actually, quite apart from the very sad reason for the trip, the logistics of getting there through the Covid regulations was very stressful in itself. You have to have a test within 48 hours of departure. To do that I've had to miss some of my teaching commitments, which I was not prepared to do. So we had to get to the airport (London Heathrow) very early to get the test there. That was very straightforward and I received the negative result after 45 minutes - It's the 'Fit to travel Test' (Sweden is an Orange List country). You also have to show that you have arranged a test to be done in Sweden within 72 hours of departure. This was a DIY test and you have to scan the results to the company in the UK who email a certificate back (had I been positive I'd have had to stay in Sweden in quarantine, teaching my lessons remotely from a laptop from a Swedish hotel - a nightmare scenario for me). Then to get back into the UK you have to show proof that you've booked another test to be done within two days after returning home, which I will do later today. Fortunately my kindly, very well-organised, Canadian son-in-law was with us to help make sense of the administrative tangle!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2021, 02:12:51 AM
OT
Thank you PD.
Actually, quite apart from the very sad reason for the trip, the logistics of getting there through the Covid regulations was very stressful in itself. You have to have a test within 48 hours of departure. To do that I've had to miss some of my teaching commitments, which I was not prepared to do. So we had to get to the airport (London Heathrow) very early to get the test there. That was very straightforward and I received the negative result after 45 minutes - It's the 'Fit to travel Test' (Sweden is an Orange List country). You also have to show that you have arranged a test to be done in Sweden within 72 hours of departure. This was a DIY test and you have to scan the results to the company in the UK who email a certificate back (had I been positive I'd have had to stay in Sweden in quarantine, teaching my lessons remotely from a laptop from a Swedish hotel - a nightmare scenario for me). Then to get back into the UK you have to show proof that you've booked another test to be done within two days after returning home, which I will do later today. Fortunately my kindly, very well-organised, Canadian son-in-law was with us to help make sense of the administrative tangle!
Sounds like a nightmare, but necessary alas!  Trying to remember, but if I'm recalling correctly, they were still spraying the ship back then (took a quick look on their website).  Tempted to look at an old passport which would tell me when I was there last, but I believe that it is in a safety deposit box.  Pretty certain that they were still doing so as I *remember climbing metal stairs with handrails and I think bumps on the stairs to aid with traction and I think either reading and/or being told to be careful, etc.?  Haven't seen the "newly built museum" where it was moved to in 1988 alas.  *Who knows, my memory could be off though!  I do remember seeing it though.  :)  Well worth the time.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2021, 02:51:02 AM
Sounds like a nightmare, but necessary alas!  Trying to remember, but if I'm recalling correctly, they were still spraying the ship back then (took a quick look on their website).  Tempted to look at an old passport which would tell me when I was there last, but I believe that it is in a safety deposit box.  Pretty certain that they were still doing so as I *remember climbing metal stairs with handrails and I think bumps on the stairs to aid with traction and I think either reading and/or being told to be careful, etc.?  Haven't seen the "newly built museum" where it was moved to in 1988 alas.  *Who knows, my memory could be off though!  I do remember seeing it though.  :)  Well worth the time.

PD
Interesting PD. They certainly still have to treat the ship to delay the inevitable deterioration - seeing it was a most extraordinary experience.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2021, 04:09:49 AM
Interesting PD. They certainly still have to treat the ship to delay the inevitable deterioration - seeing it was a most extraordinary experience.
There's a fascinating timeline here.  It shows what they have done to the ship over the years--figuring out how to preserve it.  https://www.vasamuseet.se/en/research/how-we-preserve-vasa/preservation-timeline  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Stockholm has material for a good deal of visits - those pictures made me wish for a second one, since Vasa wasn't included in the first ... and Swedish rural landscapes, though quite uniform with forested, lake-abundant scenery and those wooden, usually red-painted houses, are just wonderful.