Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Closer to home I did a lot of walking round central London yesterday as I was on a school trip to the Tate Modern and Tate Britain art galleries. I also used the Uber River Ferry for the first time - I was unaware that they existed - it's a nice way to travel in London.
The building in the second photo, although not of great architectural importance, is where I went to school as a boy:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2021, 10:27:55 PM
Closer to home I did a lot of walking round central London yesterday as I was on a school trip to the Tate Modern and Tate Britain art galleries. I also used the Uber River Ferry for the first time - I was unaware that they existed - it's a nice way to travel in London.
The building in the second photo, although not of great architectural importance, is where I went to school as a boy:
Oh, nice!  Were the museums very crowded?  And any special policies in place?

Hadn't heard of Uber River Ferry before now either.  Do they have a standardized route?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 21, 2021, 02:06:49 AM
Oh, nice!  Were the museums very crowded?  And any special policies in place?

Hadn't heard of Uber River Ferry before now either.  Do they have a standardized route?

PD
Galleries were, unsurprisingly perhaps, unusually quiet with no queues for anything.
It's called 'Uber Boat' I see.
Yes, there's a set route - here's the map;
https://www.thamesclippers.com/plan-your-journey/route-map
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2021, 02:26:03 AM
Galleries were, unsurprisingly perhaps, unusually quiet with no queues for anything.
It's called 'Uber Boat' I see.
Yes, there's a set route - here's the map;
https://www.thamesclippers.com/plan-your-journey/route-map
Oh, cool!  I remember years ago taking a trip with my father on the Thames--purely for site seeing, but we both enjoyed it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 21, 2021, 02:35:37 AM
Oh, cool!  I remember years ago taking a trip with my father on the Thames--purely for site seeing, but we both enjoyed it.  :)

PD
Yes, I always used to take visiting friends on that trip - from Charing Cross to Greenwich, have a look round Greenwich - lunch in a pub and then back again.
:)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2021, 04:11:03 AM
Yes, I always used to take visiting friends on that trip - from Charing Cross to Greenwich, have a look round Greenwich - lunch in a pub and then back again.
:)
This past time was strictly a river cruise, but even further back in time, I do remember a visit to Greenwich to see the Royal Observatory--how we got there, no idea! lol  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

I took my pups for a walk by a nearby river this morning. Very peaceful.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on September 21, 2021, 08:46:35 AM
Very pretty!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Very nice!

MusicTurner

That's nice. Seems to be a quite rural place, rather than a city park; surely peaceful.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 21, 2021, 10:10:32 AM
That's nice. Seems to be a quite rural place, rather than a city park; surely peaceful.

As long as the pups don't wade in.  ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Szykneij

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 21, 2021, 10:10:32 AM

Quote from: Irons on September 21, 2021, 11:57:42 PM
As long as the pups don't wade in.  ;D

There are busy roads on either side, but some nice walking paths in between. Definitely not water the pups or anyone would want to swim in, but popular for kayaking.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on September 22, 2021, 02:43:53 AM
There are busy roads on either side, but some nice walking paths in between. Definitely not water the pups or anyone would want to swim in, but popular for kayaking.
I expect that the swans wouldn't be exactly cordial to dogs swimming around them either.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 22, 2021, 03:55:09 AM
I expect that the swans wouldn't be exactly cordial to dogs swimming around them either.

PD

Nope, or the Canada Geese that can be especially nasty.

A few years ago, I was driving along the same river during a snowstorm when cars ahead of me were driving around a swan in the middle of the road. I pulled over to try to bring it to safety and discovered that swans are like icebergs -- there's way more of them under water than above! It looked like a big white goose with the same temperment. It hissed and pecked towards me as I tried to guide it to safety. Cars started to pull over to see what the crazy man dancing in the middle of the street during a blizzard was up to. I finally got it to move away from traffic and continued on my way, but I've never looked at swans the same way ever since.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on September 22, 2021, 05:32:56 AM
Nope, or the Canada Geese that can be especially nasty.

A few years ago, I was driving along the same river during a snowstorm when cars ahead of me were driving around a swan in the middle of the road. I pulled over to try to bring it to safety and discovered that swans are like icebergs -- there's way more of them under water than above! It looked like a big white goose with the same temperment. It hissed and pecked towards me as I tried to guide it to safety. Cars started to pull over to see what the crazy man dancing in the middle of the street during a blizzard was up to. I finally got it to move away from traffic and continued on my way, but I've never looked at swans the same way ever since.
You're too kind for your own good (or safety)!  ;) :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

My wife's birthday yesterday and spent the day in the capital, first visit since Covid struck. Walked from the Embankment to Trafalgar Square with water fountains in full operation and a bizarre statue of an ice cream, cherry, drone and fly! Then on to Leicester Square where they were gearing up for the premiere of "The Last Duel", if I had known Jodie Comer was to walk the red carpet I may have waited for her appearance :P. Followed by a very busy China Town where we had a meal then a frantic dash to St Martins Lane for "2.22 A Ghost Story" at the Noel Coward Theatre.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

steve ridgway

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 24, 2021, 07:09:20 AM
My wife's birthday yesterday and spent the day in the capital, first visit since Covid struck. Walked from the Embankment to Trafalgar Square with water fountains in full operation and a bizarre statue of an ice cream, cherry, drone and fly! Then on to Leicester Square where they were gearing up for the premiere of "The Last Duel", if I had known Jodie Comer was to walk the red carpet I may have waited for her appearance :P. Followed by a very busy China Town where we had a meal then a frantic dash to St Martins Lane for "2.22 A Ghost Story" at the Noel Coward Theatre.
That sounds like a fun-filled day!  And yes that is a strange statue!  Permanent or non?  I'll have to google the play.  Was it very crowded?  And did they have any distance/seating restrictions in place?

PD

p.s.  And please with Mrs. Irons a very happy birthday from me too!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 24, 2021, 08:35:23 AM
A Chinese meal sounds good. :P

No messing. B Set Meal for Two. :)

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 24, 2021, 09:33:21 AM
That sounds like a fun-filled day!  And yes that is a strange statue!  Permanent or non?  I'll have to google the play.  Was it very crowded?  And did they have any distance/seating restrictions in place?

PD

p.s.  And please with Mrs. Irons a very happy birthday from me too!  :)

Thankfully not permanent. Previously a cockerel.

Two things struck me. Obviously the lack of tourists and lots of young people. Bars and restaurants were doing a roaring trade. Warm, with tables on pavements it was like strolling around Italy or Spain. Social distancing was non-existent. London's esteemed mayor Sadiq Khan decreed it compulsory for face masks to be worn on the Underground. Easily less then 50% bothered. I did not see one face mask in the theatre which was packed.

Mrs P asked me to pass on her thanks for your good wishes.   

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on September 24, 2021, 07:09:20 AM
Sounds like a nice day Lol and I hope that you and your wife enjoyed it.

The 'Fourth Plinth' in Trafalgar Square has produced some excellent thought-provoking works. I have taught about it as part of a History of Art A Level course:
https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/shorthand/fourth_plinth/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_plinth,_Trafalgar_Square

'The Invisible Enemy Should not Exist' made from used date cans and Mark Wallinger's 'Ecce Homo' are two of my favourites.