Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 09:57:00 AM
Lovely!  And it looks like you and your friends are all having a good time too.

PD

Quote from: Irons on November 30, 2021, 12:05:43 AM
Looks so peaceful.

Yes, enjoyable and very peaceful, especially this time of year when vacation season is over.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Yesterday my wife and I went for a walk on nearby Ashdown Forest. It was very misty. I took a photo of a clump of trees at the top of a hill, they are known as Camp Hill Clump, one of several on the forest. I thought that my photo would make a good cover image for Sibelius's 'Tapiola'  :)

PS In the other photo you can see the clump emerging from the mist - it was very atmospheric.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 20, 2021, 01:57:47 AM
Yesterday my wife and I went for a walk on nearby Ashdown Forest. It was very misty. I took a photo of a clump of trees at the top of a hill, they are known as Camp Hill Clump, one of several on the forest. I thought that my photo would make a good cover image for Sibelius's 'Tapiola'  :)

PS In the other photo you can see the clump emerging from the mist - it was very atmospheric.

Cool!  Any idea what the trees are Jeffrey?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 20, 2021, 03:11:50 AM
Cool!  Any idea what the trees are Jeffrey?

PD
Not too sure PD but I wonder if they are Birch trees.
Here's some historical info:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2666243

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 20, 2021, 03:20:05 AM
Thanks!  Looks like an interesting place to visit.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

I checked the site further on the web, and there seems to be some very fine and even rather 'wild' views from there, when the weather is clear. The trees look coniferous, and not like birch trees, I think.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 20, 2021, 06:38:23 AM
I checked the site further on the web, and there seems to be some very fine and even rather 'wild' views from there, when the weather is clear. The trees look coniferous, and not like birch trees, I think.
I suspect that you are right. The walk that we do is, more or less, the one featured here but I was unaware of the military archaeology of the place. Next time we go I will take this info with me. I attach another photo, from further away, that I took yesterday:
https://www.ashdownforest.org/enjoy/walking/docs/Military_Walk_Archaeology_000.pdf
Oops - I sent the same photo twice  ::) I'll swop it over in a moment.
Done!
I've now attached to right map as well! Oh dear!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 20, 2021, 07:34:30 AM
I suspect that you are right. The walk that we do is, more or less, the one featured here but I was unaware of the military archaeology of the place. Next time we go I will take this info with me. I attach another photo, from further away, that i took yesterday:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ashdown+forest+military+walk&oq=ashdown+forest+military&aqs=edge.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j69i64.9971j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Oops - I sent the same photo twice  ::) I'll swop it over in a moment.

A photo that gave rise to deja vu. I think maybe this.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 20, 2021, 07:43:45 AM
A photo that gave rise to deja vu. I think maybe this.

That looks a bit like a stylised version of Chanctonbury ring.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 20, 2021, 03:20:05 AM
Jeffrey,

I read that they used to do hunts there; however, it seems rather small from the photos.  Any idea whether or not a lot of the surrounding trees have been cut down since?  I do recall (from a class) that Britain used to be heavily forested.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 20, 2021, 09:50:08 AM
Jeffrey,

I read that they used to do hunts there; however, it seems rather small from the photos.  Any idea whether or not a lot of the surrounding trees have been cut down since?  I do recall (from a class) that Britain used to be heavily forested.

PD
Here's some info PD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashdown_Forest

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 21, 2021, 01:33:51 PM
Here's some info PD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashdown_Forest
Thanks!

And if it's good enough for Pooh and Christopher Robin to walk around there, then I have to visit it too!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 22, 2021, 03:32:33 AM
Thanks!

And if it's good enough for Pooh and Christopher Robin to walk around there, then I have to visit it too!  :)

PD

I hope so PD.
I was there for a short walk today. It was freezing cold. I took this photo:

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2022, 01:38:18 PM
I hope so PD.
I was there for a short walk today. It was freezing cold. I took this photo:

Nice, picture, Jeffrey ! At least there are some colours. Here everything would be pitch white !  :P

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 04, 2022, 03:17:45 PM
Nice, picture, Jeffrey ! At least there are some colours. Here everything would be pitch white !  :P
Thanks André. No snow here (yet)  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Looks lovely Jeffrey!  Cold here, but no snow--strange winter.  I'm sure that we'll get more--eventually.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 05, 2022, 03:20:38 AM
Looks lovely Jeffrey!  Cold here, but no snow--strange winter.  I'm sure that we'll get more--eventually.

PD
Some forecast here in the next few days I think.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 05, 2022, 07:36:32 AM
Some forecast here in the next few days I think.
Having instead to deal with very icy driveway, etc. today.   ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Here's a couple of images from the walk that I went on with my wife last Saturday.
This involved climbing (as in walking, not mountaineering  ;D)  up Firle Beacon on the South Downs. Great views from the top, although it was quite misty and very muddy in places.
The first photo is at the top of Firle Beacon and the second one shows Firle Beacon in the background.