Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

PS
Top of Firle Beacon and an engaging photo of my boots at the end of the walk:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Now, that's a strong combination of long- and short distance views  :). Apparently it wasn't very wintery, like here ...

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 18, 2022, 12:42:57 AM
Now, that's a strong combination of long- and short distance views  :). Apparently it wasn't very wintery, like here ...
No, not too wintery at the moment.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mountain Goat

Great Dun Fell on Christmas Day - it was quite wintery up there!

MusicTurner

Wow, nice photos. Had to look it up - the Pennines, not that far from the Scottish border. Max altitude 848 m ....

Pohjolas Daughter

Great pictures!  How cold was it then?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mountain Goat

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 21, 2022, 12:08:33 AM
Great pictures!  How cold was it then?

It was certainly "fresh", mainly because there was quite a strong wind. Below about 400m altitude, it was a different world - no snow at all, and quite warm and pleasant, at least for a winter's day!

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 20, 2022, 10:19:05 PM
Wow, nice photos. Had to look it up - the Pennines, not that far from the Scottish border. Max altitude 848 m ....

The road in the picture, which goes all the way to the radar station on the 848m summit, is the highest tarmac road in the UK, though it's not open for public use.

MusicTurner

Would like to go there, to the Pennines, some time; they have a reputation for being beautiful, rather austere, and not overrun by tourism ...

Mountain Goat

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 21, 2022, 10:29:07 AM
Would like to go there, to the Pennines, some time; they have a reputation for being beautiful, rather austere, and not overrun by tourism ...

Austere is a good description of the Pennines, which is part of the attraction for me but not what many tourists look for I suppose! The nearby Lake District on the other hand is more conventionally "pretty" and is extremely touristy. I would love to walk the Pennine Way one day - it's a 268 mile long-distance path crossing the Pennines from South to North, ending up just inside Scotland.

MusicTurner

Yes, I know of Windermere for example being very popular, and maybe the old image of say Ullswater as much more unspoiled is somewhat outdated nowadays. Would like to pop in some time however, including at Ruskin's Brantwood etc., with some exploring of nearby Yorkshire as well, Robin Hood's Bay and Whitby ... one is always allowed to dream a bit ... :)

Mountain Goat

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 22, 2022, 01:10:13 AM
Yes, I know of Windermere for example being very popular, and maybe the old image of say Ullswater as much more unspoiled is somewhat outdated nowadays. Would like to pop in some time however, including at Ruskin's Brantwood etc., with some exploring of nearby Yorkshire as well, Robin Hood's Bay and Whitby ... one is always allowed to dream a bit ... :)

Nothing wrong with dreaming, it's the first step to actually doing something! 15 or so years ago I walked the Coast to Coast, which crosses the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors to end up in Robin Hood's Bay.

Meanwhile on Wednesday, closer to home, I did a walk along Offa's Dyke Path - here looking down at Tintern Abbey from the Devil's Pulpit:

Mountain Goat

On Saturday, had a short stroll along the coast from Severn Beach, after finishing work in the nearby industrial estate. Got good views of both Severn bridges, including walking right under the new(er) one.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 28, 2022, 02:31:43 PM
Nothing wrong with dreaming, it's the first step to actually doing something! 15 or so years ago I walked the Coast to Coast, which crosses the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors to end up in Robin Hood's Bay.

Meanwhile on Wednesday, closer to home, I did a walk along Offa's Dyke Path - here looking down at Tintern Abbey from the Devil's Pulpit:

That's a very lovely, painting-like photo of the abbey/Wye ...

What accommodation did you use for that long coast-to-coast hike?

Mountain Goat

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 09:03:14 AM
That's a very lovely, painting-like photo of the abbey/Wye ...

What accommodation did you use for that long coast-coast hike?

Thanks! I'm no expert photographer, I just point and click and hope for the best, sometimes it works!

On the Coast to Coast I camped wild most nights, with just one night at an official campsite and 2 nights in hostels/bunkhouses (in Kirkby Stephen and Brompton-on-Swale) to break it up.

MusicTurner

That's still often my style too, when I'm doing cycling trips, though I use camp sites more ...

Accommodation in Britain tends to be rather expensive nowadays, but better comfort/B&Bs can of course be preferable especially in cities, and naturally also off season or when the weather is poor.

Mountain Goat

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 09:25:13 AM
That's still often my style too, when I'm doing cycling trips, though I use camp sites more ...

Accommodation in Britain tends to be rather expensive nowadays, but better comfort/B&Bs can of course be preferable especially in cities, and naturally also off season or when the weather is poor.

I was a skint student when I did the Coast to Coast so wild camping was really the only option to make it possible! I still do it though, as nothing beats the convenience of being able to stop wherever and whenever I want, without having to stick to a strict schedule. Wild camping is technically illegal in the UK (except in Scotland), but generally tolerated as long as you're sensible, and I've never had any issues.

MusicTurner

I've done it quite a lot in Norway and Sweden (where it is legal and there are often associated facilities like drinking water, lakes or beaches, and toilets). I've also done it a bit when touring Scotland and being next to the sea, in Denmark, plus a few times in Greece many years ago ... it can be nice and even a great way of experiencing Nature, landscapes, etc.

Mountain Goat

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 09:55:18 AM
I've done it quite a lot in Norway and Sweden (where it is legal and there are often associated facilities like drinking water, lakes or beaches, and toilets). I've also done it a bit when touring Scotland and being next to the sea, in Denmark, plus a few times in Greece many years ago ... it can be nice and even a great way of experiencing Nature, landscapes, etc.

I do wish we had a proper "right to roam" here, like in Scotland, Sweden or Norway, but there's no chance of that happening any time soon with the government we're stuck with at the moment, who will always protect the rich landowners who don't want us plebs on their land! I always feel satisfactorily rebellious when I wild camp  :laugh:

MusicTurner

Considering the English landscapes, finding some hidden, quiet corner a bit away from everything shouldn't be a major problem, I think ...  :)

Mountain Goat

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 10:43:59 AM
Considering the English landscapes, finding some hidden, quiet corner a bit away from everything shouldn't be a major problem, I think ...  :)

Quite, it's never been a problem! I sometimes use a bivvy bag too, which is obviously less comfortable but more discreet and gives me more options.