Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Some random snaps from a west Med cruise.

Praza de Maria Pita, A Coruna, Spain.

Palma, Mallorca.

Lucca, Italy. (Birthplace of Puccini).

St. Tropez. France.

Plaza de Espana, Seville.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 AM
Some random snaps from a west Med cruise.

Praza de Maria Pita, A Coruna, Spain.

Palma, Mallorca.

Lucca, Italy. (Birthplace of Puccini).

St. Tropez. France.

Plaza de Espana, Seville.
Beautiful!  Did you enjoy the cruise overall?  And have a chance do have a cold beer whilst relaxing on the beach (which I believe you had been looking forward to?)?  Bet that it was great to get away from the garden, house and I suspect chillier weather these days.  Did you go to any concerts?  Or come away with some favorite museums?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2022, 11:36:43 AM
Great images Lol - looks lovely.

Cheers, Jeffrey.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2022, 12:11:16 PM
Beautiful!  Did you enjoy the cruise overall?  And have a chance do have a cold beer whilst relaxing on the beach (which I believe you had been looking forward to?)?  Bet that it was great to get away from the garden, house and I suspect chillier weather these days.  Did you go to any concerts?  Or come away with some favorite museums?

PD

We have cruised on the Britannia previously. Below the central seating area of the ship.

No beach, but plenty of time to relax on five at sea days. The weather considering time of year was amazingly good. We also took in Barcelona but rubbish photos so didn't post. No museums either, but Seville's Cathedral is stunning as is the Jewish Quarter. My favourite though is St. Tropez which is coolness personified. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 17, 2022, 07:30:33 AM
Cheers, Jeffrey.

We have cruised on the Britannia previously. Below the central seating area of the ship.

No beach, but plenty of time to relax on five at sea days. The weather considering time of year was amazingly good. We also took in Barcelona but rubbish photos so didn't post. No museums either, but Seville's Cathedral is stunning as is the Jewish Quarter. My favourite though is St. Tropez which is coolness personified.
Beautiful light/sculpture!

Sorry that you didn't have time to visit some museums.  I'm sure that St. Tropez was cool.  Speaking of which, surprised to see the swimmer posed on top of the statue (noticed underneath that it says "Do not touch" and shows an image of a surveillance camera there)!   :o

The architecture in Spain is stunning!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 18, 2022, 03:30:37 AM
Beautiful light/sculpture!

Sorry that you didn't have time to visit some museums.  I'm sure that St. Tropez was cool.  Speaking of which, surprised to see the swimmer posed on top of the statue (noticed underneath that it says "Do not touch" and shows an image of a surveillance camera there)!   :o

The architecture in Spain is stunning!

PD

The swimmer is the statue, PD.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 18, 2022, 07:29:29 AM
The swimmer is the statue, PD.  :)
Wow!  That's so realistic!  Earlier, I had also thought that you don't often see women using swimming caps these days (short of sports).   :-[

Well done then to the artist!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 18, 2022, 08:52:08 AM
Wow!  That's so realistic!  Earlier, I had also thought that you don't often see women using swimming caps these days (short of sports).   :-[

Well done then to the artist!

PD

Just out of curiousity, do you know about Duane Hanson?
https://www.saatchigallery.com/artist/duane_hanson

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Hanson

He lived in South Florida for the last 23 years of his life; a woman who was a neighbor and friend of my mother posed for him in the late 1970s, although I don't see her in any of the online material.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on October 18, 2022, 12:00:29 PM
Just out of curiousity, do you know about Duane Hanson?
https://www.saatchigallery.com/artist/duane_hanson

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Hanson

He lived in South Florida for the last 23 years of his life; a woman who was a neighbor and friend of my mother posed for him in the late 1970s, although I don't see her in any of the online material.
No, I hadn't heard of him before now.  Did he create an artwork from her posings/bodycasts?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 18, 2022, 12:08:20 PM
No, I hadn't heard of him before now.  Did he create an artwork from her posings/bodycasts?

PD

Yes. That was his standard method.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on October 18, 2022, 12:57:34 PM
Yes. That was his standard method.
Amazing detail!

Have you seen any of his works in person?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 19, 2022, 03:33:52 AM
Amazing detail!

Have you seen any of his works in person?

PD

Years ago....the museums here focus on other things.

vandermolen

I was quite pleased with this photo taken on Ashdown Forest a week or two ago (notwithstanding to dog poo in a bag at the bottom right of the photo  ::) )
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2022, 01:09:20 PMI was quite pleased with this photo taken on Ashdown Forest a week or two ago (notwithstanding to dog poo in a bag at the bottom right of the photo  ::) )

It adds to the bucolic charm of it all  ;D
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2022, 01:09:20 PMI was quite pleased with this photo taken on Ashdown Forest a week or two ago (notwithstanding to dog poo in a bag at the bottom right of the photo  ::) )

You know, I wouldn't have noticed it--if you hadn't pointed *it out.  Lovely photo though.  :)

*A good time to use some sort of photo editing device me thinks.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 05, 2022, 02:02:55 AMYou know, I wouldn't have noticed it--if you hadn't pointed *it out.  Lovely photo though.  :)

*A good time to use some sort of photo editing device me thinks.  ;)

PD
Yes, I agree!

Scion7

Definitely not on the outskirts of Moscow in December! Some friends sent me this today from their 21st-floor apartment window. Brrrrr, lads!

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Irons

Quote from: Scion7 on December 10, 2022, 05:34:21 AMDefinitely not on the outskirts of Moscow in December! Some friends sent me this today from their 21st-floor apartment window. Brrrrr, lads!

Does look bleak.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Scion7 on December 10, 2022, 05:34:21 AMDefinitely not on the outskirts of Moscow in December! Some friends sent me this today from their 21st-floor apartment window. Brrrrr, lads!

Yes indeed, it does look cold.

By the way, how are you friends doing?  Have they been thinking and/or trying to leave Russia?  What is life like for them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Scion7

Two cute women I met on my .... travels ... no, that is their home. 

The Mongols were quite chuffed whenever the river froze to allow their horses to cross.  >:D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."