Author Topic: Joseph Boulogne / Chevalier de Saint-Georges  (Read 45 times)

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
Joseph Boulogne / Chevalier de Saint-Georges
« on: July 30, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »
Since there is no shortage of folks here who are interested in off the beaten path music, I thought I'd bring to your attention this excellent article that appeared in the New York Times the other day by Marcos Balter (a fine composer in his own right) about the neglected French-Guadeloupean composer Joseph Boulogne aka Chevalier de Saint Georges:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/arts/music/black-mozart-joseph-boulogne.html

Balter helpfully includes audio clips of some of Boulogne's works. I've poked around a bit on Primephonic as well and found a really fine recording with Rachel Barton Pine playing his second violin concerto. That's some really virtuosic stuff that asks the violinist to perform quite a high wire act on the E string in the slow movement. Unlike Barton Pine's, some other recordings seem to suffer from a bit of lack of commitment by the performers (such as a decidedly meh album by Tafelmusik). If any of you have some other recording recommendations for Boulogne's music, please feel free to post here.

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Joseph Boulogne / Chevalier de Saint-Georges
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »
I have that Tafelmusik disc as well as a 4cd set on the Arion label, with concertos, symphonies, string quartets and violin sonatas. He is definitely a musician of some talent and originality - on the level of Leclair maybe, if less playful than Corrette. The Arion set is an excellent introduction to his work.