Mélodies Françaises - French Art Songs

Started by Que, June 14, 2020, 11:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Please discuss the wonderful art of the French Mélodies! :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Do you gents like Gérard Souzay?  He is a favorite of mine.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André Le Nôtre

Souzay, one of the greats to be sure. My other favorites are Jennie Tourel, Maggie Teyte. Charles Panzera is also worth a listen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 29, 2020, 08:39:56 PM
Souzay, one of the greats to be sure. My other favorites are Jennie Tourel, Maggie Teyte. Charles Panzera is also worth a listen.
I've heard of the two women before, but don't believe that I have any of their recordings (unless they are on some opera sets buried upstairs?  ::) ).  Hadn't heard of Mr. Panzera before now.  Any particular recs for those three that you would care to share André?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André Le Nôtre

Jennie Tourel, my favorite singer of all time. I believe all of my recordings of hers are on LP--all of these are musts for your collection:

A French-Italian Program on Decca (late 50s)
Alice Tully Hall Recital 1974 (2 LP set, amateur-ish recording quality, but incomparable singing by her at âge 70.)
Russian Songs - Columbia

There is also a 10" LP (Columbia) of Debussy and Ravel chansons, which is incredible.

As for Maggie Teyte, there are of course individual disks available, but your best bet on LP is the 4 LP set on EMI. Some images follow below! à bientôt!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 30, 2020, 11:58:32 AM
Jennie Tourel, my favorite singer of all time. I believe all of my recordings of hers are on LP--all of these are musts for your collection:

A French-Italian Program on Decca (late 50s)
Alice Tully Hall Recital 1974 (2 LP set, amateur-ish recording quality, but incomparable singing by her at âge 70.)
Russian Songs - Columbia

There is also a 10" LP (Columbia) of Debussy and Ravel chansons, which is incredible.

As for Maggie Teyte, there are of course individual disks available, but your best bet on LP is the 4 LP set on EMI. Some images follow below! à bientôt!

Merci!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 29, 2020, 01:16:23 PM

PD

If you don't have it already: this might be nice for the shopping list:  :)

[asin]B003J4MLIS[/asin]

Which is a reissue of this Philips set:

Q

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 30, 2020, 08:01:39 AM
I've heard of the two women before, but don't believe that I have any of their recordings (unless they are on some opera sets buried upstairs?  ::) ).  Hadn't heard of Mr. Panzera before now.  Any particular recs for those three that you would care to share André?

PD

This is an excellent representation of the art of Charles Panzéra

which I've reviewed on my blog https://tsaraslondon.wordpress.com/2019/08/04/charles-panzera-the-master-of-french-song/

French song is a great favourite of mine and you will also find there reviews of recitals by the likes of Barbara Hendricks, Pierre Bernac (for whom Poulenc wrote many of his songs), Régine Crespin, Victoria De Los Angeles, Maggie Teyte, Janet Baker, Jill Gomez and Jennie Tourel.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on July 31, 2020, 01:03:59 AM
If you don't have it already: this might be nice for the shopping list:  :)

[asin]B003J4MLIS[/asin]

Q
I do have this set Q.   :)  But thank you for the suggestion.

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on July 31, 2020, 01:24:43 AM
This is an excellent representation of the art of Charles Panzéra

which I've reviewed on my blog https://tsaraslondon.wordpress.com/2019/08/04/charles-panzera-the-master-of-french-song/

French song is a great favourite of mine and you will also find there reviews of recitals by the likes of Barbara Hendricks, Pierre Bernac (for whom Poulenc wrote many of his songs), Régine Crespin, Victoria De Los Angeles, Maggie Teyte, Janet Baker, Jill Gomez and Jennie Tourel.
Thank you TL.  I'll keep my eye out for it.  When did he do these recordings....roughly?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

p.s. I meant to add earlier that I also have this LP of French art songs by Souzay:

Was sidetracked by feeling guilty that I hadn't watered my garden yet today!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 31, 2020, 05:06:20 AM

Thank you TL.  I'll keep my eye out for it.  When did he do these recordings....roughly?

PD

1930s, but the sound is perfectly acceptable.

Pohjolas Daughter

Funnily enough, I had found in the past that I could easily handle some 1930's recordings that I had listened to; however, it was the 1940's ones that I had issues with!  Go figure!  ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 29, 2020, 01:16:23 PM

PD

His Schubert recordings are excellent, both musically and diction-wise. I also like his Faure recordings. All things considered, 10/10.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on July 31, 2020, 09:03:52 AM

His Schubert recordings are excellent, both musically and diction-wise. I also like his Faure recordings. All things considered, 10/10.
Thanks!  Will keep an eye out for them.

Just did a bit of digging through my LPs and found that I also have one of him singing Duparc songs...and whilst looking for his records, found that I do have one of Maggie Tytes'.  She's singing Debussy songs.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

I still had this Naïve boxset lying around, waiting for a proper listen:

[asin]B008XKWAX4[/asin]

It's not really a box set, but one of Naïve's multibuy bargains in which they put a (disposable) cardboard sleeve around several recordings as originally issued  - in plastic cases with full liner notes. This has 5 recordings ( on 6 discs):

I would be interested to hear some comments on the individual recordings!  :)

Q

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Que on August 01, 2020, 02:19:50 AM
I still had this Naïve boxset lying around, waiting for a proper listen:

[asin]B008XKWAX4[/asin]

It's not really a box set, but one of Naïve's multibuy bargains in which they put a (disposable) cardboard sleeve around several recordings as originally issued  - in plastic cases with full liner notes. This has 5 recordings ( on 6 discs):

I would be interested to hear some comments on the individual recordings!  :)

Q

This looks very tempting.

Pohjolas Daughter

I love *Sandrine Piau's voice and singing; I don't know the other artists however.  I might try doing some youtube googling later.  At the moment, I'm enjoying listening to a baroque program.  *Have you heard her recordings or in concert before TL?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 02, 2020, 02:54:26 AM
I love *Sandrine Piau's voice and singing; I don't know the other artists however.  I might try doing some youtube googling later.  At the moment, I'm enjoying listening to a baroque program.  *Have you heard her recordings or in concert before TL?

PD

I only have a disc of Handel opera seria arias, but I like it very much indeed. I reviewed it on my blog if you're interested https://tsaraslondon.wordpress.com/2019/08/02/sandrine-piau-handel-opera-seria/

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on August 03, 2020, 12:36:20 AM
I only have a disc of Handel opera seria arias, but I like it very much indeed. I reviewed it on my blog if you're interested https://tsaraslondon.wordpress.com/2019/08/02/sandrine-piau-handel-opera-seria/
Thanks, nice review!

That's been on my wish list for a while too.

By the way, which of you two happy and friendly-looking gents is you on your Facebook page?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 03, 2020, 02:53:25 AM
Thanks, nice review!

That's been on my wish list for a while too.

By the way, which of you two happy and friendly-looking gents is you on your Facebook page?   :)

PD

I'm the older, bald one!