A Thread for the Discussion of Schoenberg's Music

Started by Mahlerian, August 03, 2020, 09:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

Because I consider Arnold Schoenberg's music one of the pillars of the 20th century canon, I find it frustrating that discussions putatively relating to him generally either fall into discussions of "atonality," the 12-tone method, or, nearly as irrelevantly, his sometimes bizarre and contradictory views on politics and society. I want to start a thread for discussions of the music alone.

Recently, I was playing through the second of the Op. 11 pieces, and it struck me that so many of the gestures, from the oscillating minor third at the beginning to the ascending chords, are so simple, and their treatment is likewise very straightforward. What makes it so expressive is the way in which an idea like that opening ostinato interacts with other contrasting elements, such as the more rhythmically free melody that enters above it.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ua9mAvivM-o

Here's my outline of the A section:

0:00-0:21 Ostinato, free melody
0:21-0:27 Ascending chordal idea (only a hint) with an answering descending idea
0:28-0:59 Ostinato and melody return, in interplay with the "answering" idea
1:00-1:20 Ascending chords, fully developed out
1:21-1:37 Melody, then ostinato

After that, the motifs and gestures from the above are developed and extended. Nearly everything, even the shattering climax, is based on these simple gestures. I find it a delicately-wrought and psychologically intricate masterpiece.

Any thoughts or comments? I don't expect everyone to take such an analytical approach.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mahlerian on August 03, 2020, 09:38:47 AM
Because I consider Arnold Schoenberg's music one of the pillars of the 20th century canon, I find it frustrating that discussions putatively relating to him generally either fall into discussions of "atonality," the 12-tone method, or, nearly as irrelevantly, his sometimes bizarre and contradictory views on politics and society. I want to start a thread for discussions of the music alone.

Doesn't this count?

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,224.0.html
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mahlerian

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 03, 2020, 10:34:24 AM
Doesn't this count?

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,224.0.html

The composer guestbook thread is more general. I am hoping to turn this into a more specific discussion on music, without launching into peripheral issues and topics.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

some guy

A friend and I were recently talking about music and reactions to music, using the shorthand terms "warm" and "cold."

Schoenberg, as you might expect, was fairly far over on the warm end of the scale. Brahmsian warm.

(Another similarity between Brahms and Schoenberg--both were accused at first of being cold.)

((Birtwistle and Boulez also came in very far over on the warm side, just by the way.))

Mahlerian

Quote from: some guy on August 04, 2020, 03:31:01 PM
A friend and I were recently talking about music and reactions to music, using the shorthand terms "warm" and "cold."

Schoenberg, as you might expect, was fairly far over on the warm end of the scale. Brahmsian warm.

(Another similarity between Brahms and Schoenberg--both were accused at first of being cold.)

((Birtwistle and Boulez also came in very far over on the warm side, just by the way.))

Sounds like an interesting discussion. Which composers came in on the cool side?

vandermolen

Well, I enjoyed the Op.11 and your musical analysis of the opening.
I find Schoenberg's paintings to be of interest as well:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

some guy

Quote from: Mahlerian on August 05, 2020, 08:43:53 AM
Sounds like an interesting discussion. Which composers came in on the cool side?
We didn't cover that aspect. The conversation was about composers who were at first considered to be "cold" but who have come to be seen as "warm." And about composers who are warm, to us, but considered cold by some listeners.

I can't know for sure, but I suspect that if the conversation had continued, we would have questioned the utility of describing an intrinsically hot art form in any other way than warm. Before we got to that point, the dinner bell sounded.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: some guy on August 06, 2020, 08:32:55 AM

I can't know for sure, but I suspect that if the conversation had continued, we would have questioned the utility of describing an intrinsically hot art form in any other way than warm.

What! But this is objectively hot

https://www.youtube.com/v/7TBrh259zig
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DaveF

Quote from: vandermolen on August 06, 2020, 05:29:43 AM
I find Schoenberg's paintings to be of interest as well:

Schoenberg was such a visionary he was able to paint a portrait of Andy Warhol years before the latter was even born.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mandryka

I listened to op 11/2, not the Chen but Katharina Wolpe. She articulates it in a very interesting way, the music is full of metrical breaks like caesurae, this gives it the feeling of a toccata by Frescobaldi. This is the recording, which I can easily let you have.

It's good to listen to this music again, and do so attentively. So thanks for starting the thread.

some guy

Mandryka

Schoenberg/Busoni op 11/2

https://www.youtube.com/v/_CYjPCxP6j0

Two of Schoenberg's letters to Busoni here. I would like to read Busoni's to Schoenberg, but I can't find them,

http://www.csun.edu/~liviu7/603/Chapter%204-Schoenberg.pdf

Jo498

Quote from: DaveF on August 06, 2020, 12:07:48 PM
Schoenberg was such a visionary he was able to paint a portrait of Andy Warhol years before the latter was even born.
Seems like the love child of Warhol and that creature depicted on Munch's "The scream".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on August 06, 2020, 12:07:48 PM
Hehe  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on August 07, 2020, 12:04:51 AM
Seems like the love child of Warhol and that creature depicted on Munch's "The scream".
Very true.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mandryka on August 06, 2020, 12:48:37 PM
I listened to op 11/2, not the Chen but Katharina Wolpe. She articulates it in a very interesting way, the music is full of metrical breaks like caesurae, this gives it the feeling of a toccata by Frescobaldi. This is the recording, which I can easily let you have.

It's good to listen to this music again, and do so attentively. So thanks for starting the thread.

Is she related to the composer Stefan Wolpe? I've heard some criticism of Schoenberg's "unpianistic" writing for keyboard, which is probably a result of the fact that he wasn't a pianist to any real degree, but I can't imagine something like Op. 11 being successfully arranged for any other instruments. It seems like that recording is on the Naxos Music Library but isn't available in my territory, so I haven't been able to hear it yet.

Mahlerian

T. D.