Bob Dylan: A Class Act

Started by Dr. Dread, August 28, 2009, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 01, 2022, 06:43:51 PM
So happens I was listening to two Dylan albums from late in his career, Tempest and Rough and Roudy Ways. I like Dylan best when he is being sarcastic and/or surrealistic and there are some tracks that rank with his best, such as Narrow Way, Long and Wasted Years, Tin Angel, False Prophet, Black Rider, Crossing the Rubicon.

Long And Wasted Years was one of the highlights when I saw him a few years ago. And it was a perfect concert closer (before the encore, that is).

vers la flamme

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 01, 2022, 05:21:36 PM
Only now pivking up on this:

Bob Dylan Announces New Book 'The Philosophy of Modern Song'

"Bob Dylan has announced a new book titled The Philosophy of Modern Song, which will be released on Tuesday, November 8 via Simon & Schuster. It marks his first book of new writing since 2004's Chronicles: Volume One and his first since winning the Nobel Prize for literature in 2016.

Dylan began working on The Philosophy of Modern Song in 2010. The collection includes over 60 essays that Dylan wrote about artists like Stephen Foster, Elvis Costello, Hank Williams, and Nina Simone. According to a press release, Dylan "analyzes what he calls the trap of easy rhymes, breaks down how the addition of a single syllable can diminish a song, and even explains how bluegrass relates to heavy metal. These essays are written in Dylan's unique prose. They are mysterious and mercurial, poignant and profound, and often laugh-out-loud funny. And while they are ostensibly about music, they are really meditations and reflections on the human condition. Running throughout the book are nearly 150 carefully curated photos as well as a series of dream-like riffs that, taken together, resemble an epic poem and add to the work's transcendence.[...]"

Can't wait! Loved Chronicles Vol. 1 and have been waiting for a Vol. 2, but I'll take what I can get.

Irons

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 01, 2022, 05:21:36 PM
Only now pivking up on this:

Bob Dylan Announces New Book 'The Philosophy of Modern Song'

"Bob Dylan has announced a new book titled The Philosophy of Modern Song, which will be released on Tuesday, November 8 via Simon & Schuster. It marks his first book of new writing since 2004's Chronicles: Volume One and his first since winning the Nobel Prize for literature in 2016.

Dylan began working on The Philosophy of Modern Song in 2010. The collection includes over 60 essays that Dylan wrote about artists like Stephen Foster, Elvis Costello, Hank Williams, and Nina Simone. According to a press release, Dylan "analyzes what he calls the trap of easy rhymes, breaks down how the addition of a single syllable can diminish a song, and even explains how bluegrass relates to heavy metal. These essays are written in Dylan's unique prose. They are mysterious and mercurial, poignant and profound, and often laugh-out-loud funny. And while they are ostensibly about music, they are really meditations and reflections on the human condition. Running throughout the book are nearly 150 carefully curated photos as well as a series of dream-like riffs that, taken together, resemble an epic poem and add to the work's transcendence.[...]"

Little Richard on left. Is that Eddie Cochran, right? No idea of middle person.

My favourite Dylan songs are : Like a Rolling Stone, She Belongs to Me and Hurricane.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

San Antone

Quote from: Irons on September 02, 2022, 07:51:07 AM
Little Richard on left. Is that Eddie Cochran, right? No idea of middle person.

My favourite Dylan songs are : Like a Rolling Stone, She Belongs to Me and Hurricane.

Little Richard, Alis Lesley*, Eddie Cochran

I pre-ordered the book as soon as I saw it announced.  Not only is Dylan an excellent prose writer but his knowledge of roots music and American popular songs are inexhaustive.

* Alis Lesley is an American former rockabilly singer, once billed as "the female Elvis Presley."

SimonNZ

Quote from: Irons on September 02, 2022, 07:51:07 AM

My most played Dylan track over the last four or five years would be High Water Rising, beating out whatever is my second most listened - probably Blind Willie McTell - by some distance.

(Actually second place might be Belle Brigade's cover of No Time To Think, which knocked me sideways the first time I heard that 3cd collection of covers called Chimes Of Freedom, and had me reassess the original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2EJd4Raas0

Irons

Quote from: San Antone on September 02, 2022, 09:29:06 AM
Little Richard, Alis Lesley*, Eddie Cochran

I pre-ordered the book as soon as I saw it announced.  Not only is Dylan an excellent prose writer but his knowledge of roots music and American popular songs are inexhaustive.

* Alis Lesley is an American former rockabilly singer, once billed as "the female Elvis Presley."

Thanks. I have not heard of her.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SimonNZ

"Fragments: Time Out of Mind Sessions (1996-1997)" to be Released on January 27

5cds or 2cds

also: I was at the cd shop yesterday and Together Through Life was playing and someone asked at the counter which Tom Waits album it was. I guessing they stopped following or at least recognizing Dylan back in the evangelical years.