Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 19, 2014, 07:21:55 PM
My current avatar is RVW. Definitely one of my musical heroes. Reading more about his personal life, I have to say that he seemed to be fine human being. Incredibly humble and generous.
I don't know much RVW, but I do like what works of his I know. My math professor is a big fan of his and sent me YT links to a few of his favorite symphonies. I forgot which ones now, but one of them was the 5th, I think. I read that Copland wrote/said that "Listening to RVW's 5th is like staring at a cow for 45 minutes." I certainly don't have anything against the work, but I found the quote very funny.

RVW took composition lessons with Ravel (who regarded him very highly -- as his best student, If I recall), and there was also this amusing story about his response when Ravel asked him to write "un petit minuet dans la style de Mozart". I think it involved RVW imitating a French accent.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Luke

Quote from: EigenUser on September 20, 2014, 02:27:49 AM
I read that Copland wrote/said that "Listening to RVW's 5th is like staring at a cow for 45 minutes."

Grrrr, must be better than staring at a cowboy for 45..  >:D  ;D

EigenUser

Quote from: Luke on September 20, 2014, 02:36:13 AM
Grrrr, must be better than staring at a cowboy for 45..  >:D  ;D
Haha... I'm pretty neutral on both composers, so I just thought it was a funny statement.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Luke

Me too - neutral on both in theory, that is, though in practice VW impresses/affects me much, much more. But Copland was a highly intelligent, sophisticated and sensitive listener, and that view of VW's 5th seems peculiarly narrow-minded and undiscerning. (But I'm aware, of course, that it's only a good joke, and one others had made before, famously Peter Warlock's 'it is all just a little too much like a cow looking over a gate').

Luke

BTW, as I don't remember if I ever posted on this thread before, my avatar is taken from the front cover of the score of Janacek's Diary of One Who Vanished  8)  :-*  8) , and I doubt that I will ever change it.

EigenUser

Quote from: Luke on September 20, 2014, 03:02:08 AM
BTW, as I don't remember if I ever posted on this thread before, my avatar is taken from the front cover of the score of Janacek's Diary of One Who Vanished  8)  :-*  8) , and I doubt that I will ever change it.
Hmmm... that's a good idea. I don't want to change my current avatar now, but I am tempted in the future to use the original cover of Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin (the urn drawing he made) or the picture on the cover of Messiaen's Des Canyons aux Etoiles.

Luke

Quote from: EigenUser on September 20, 2014, 03:12:55 AM
...the original cover of Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin (the urn drawing he made)...

Nice - I think I've seen that one in real life, too - it is (or was at the time) on the music rack of the piano in Ravel's incredible house at Montfort l'Amaury (the most interesting of all composer houses, IMO). Looked like the original, IIRC, but it was a long time ago.

Wanderer

Quote from: Luke on September 20, 2014, 03:27:35 AM
...Ravel's incredible house at Montfort l'Amaury (the most interesting of all composer houses, IMO).

Thanks for the heads-up! I did not know that one existed as a museum.

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on September 20, 2014, 02:27:49 AM
I don't know much RVW, but I do like what works of his I know. My math professor is a big fan of his and sent me YT links to a few of his favorite symphonies. I forgot which ones now, but one of them was the 5th, I think. I read that Copland wrote/said that "Listening to RVW's 5th is like staring at a cow for 45 minutes." I certainly don't have anything against the work, but I found the quote very funny.

RVW took composition lessons with Ravel (who regarded him very highly -- as his best student, If I recall), and there was also this amusing story about his response when Ravel asked him to write "un petit minuet dans la style de Mozart". I think it involved RVW imitating a French accent.

Ravel said of RVW, and I'm paraphrasing here as I don't remember the exact quote, that he was "The only student of mine that doesn't write my music." :) RVW spent three months with Ravel and it was with him that he wanted to learn more about orchestration. He also studied with Bruch, Parry, and Stanford. As for that Copland quote, I think it's funny, but I don't think Copland understood the musical language of that symphony very well. The thing about RVW is he reinvents himself with each symphony. Symphony No. 4 was a total shock to the system for many listeners who were more familiar with his pastoral music. He was a Modernist through and through.

André

I currently don't have an avatar. Actually, I have no clue how to create one. I'm using a tablet (ipad) and have no idea how I can create one.

If I could, I would probably use a portrait of Chopin, the ultimate Romantic Genius.

North Star

Quote from: André on September 20, 2014, 05:13:31 PM
I currently don't have an avatar. Actually, I have no clue how to create one. I'm using a tablet (ipad) and have no idea how I can create one.

If I could, I would probably use a portrait of Chopin, the ultimate Romantic Genius.
Go to your profile (link on the top, next to Search, My Messages), select 'Forum Profile' under 'Modify Profile', find the image you want to use, paste the address & choose 'Specify avatar by URL'
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on September 20, 2014, 05:28:04 PM
Go to your profile (link on the top, next to Search, My Messages), select 'Forum Profile' under 'Modify Profile', find the image you want to use, paste the address & choose 'Specify avatar by URL'

Or you can use an image from your own hard drive which is what I do. 8)

Ken B

Mine is a fellow well worth knowing about. He was also a musician.

TheGSMoeller

My new avater is an Angel, a warrior Angel. Flying free from being incarcerated in filing cabinets.

Florestan

Carl Maria von Weber, arguably the author of the first Romantic opera.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

jochanaan

Quote from: Ken B on September 17, 2014, 07:53:23 PM
Currently the man who is arguably the most influential composer in music history, Caccini.
May we see the arguments?  Amarilli is lovely and forward-looking, but "the most influential composer" is a claim that begs some backing...
Imagination + discipline = creativity

kishnevi

Quote from: jochanaan on September 23, 2014, 04:35:37 PM
May we see the arguments?  Amarilli is lovely and forward-looking, but "the most influential composer" is a claim that begs some backing...
I think Ken is referring to the apparent fact that he was a co composer of the first opera, Eurydice, although up to now his collaborater Peri usually gets full credit. Concerto Italiano has just released a recording of the Caccini version. It is an interesting listen but makes clear just how much of an advance Monteverdi made with his operas.
s

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 23, 2014, 08:40:53 PM
I think Ken is referring to the apparent fact that he was a co composer of the first opera, Eurydice, although up to now his collaborater Peri usually gets full credit. Concerto Italiano has just released a recording of the Caccini version. It is an interesting listen but makes clear just how much of an advance Monteverdi made with his operas.
s
Yes Caccini was also involved in promulgating the modern system of notation (not that I can tell you the details, but this is what I read, figured bass in particular). His circle in Florence pioneered the stile recitativo and monody. He articulated the theory of the new style too. He's not the only composer of the time involved in all this of course. But music changed dramatiocally in northern Italy between 1590 and 1610, and Caccini was at the centre of that.

Mirror Image

My avatar needs no introduction but I'm going to give it one anyway! Alban Berg who Simon Rattle called "the humanizing force behind the Second Viennese School". One of my favorite composers, but Schoenberg is certainly catching up.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 24, 2014, 05:45:01 PM
My avatar needs no introduction but I'm going to give it one anyway! Alban Berg who Simon Rattle called "the humanizing force behind the Second Viennese School". Certainly one of my favorite composers, but Schoenberg is certainly catching up.

Great pic.
Berg is a one of kind, I've realized in the past 5 or so years that his music is some of the most beautiful I've heard.