Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Friends, by Benjamin Chee Chee. This is crazy famous in Canada.

Rosalba

Had never heard of him - but looking at some others he's done, I can see why he's so popular. Imaginative simplicity.

NikF4

By Dufy, from a mid 1930s large format glass slide of a Ballet Russe stage backdrop.
And if I say that come summertime I'll be a similar shape to the guy on the left, I'm only half joking.  ;D

NikF4

'Qui souvent se mire, s'admire...'

Part one of two - by Fabiano and originally published in La vie Parisienne about 1920(?)

Years ago (before they were called 'look books') we used to have a collection of images, photos, tearsheets etc in the studio to blatantly and unashamedly steal ideas from. Later my ex kind of turned it into a themed collection. This one is currently waiting to have its frame recycled. When I next change my avatar I'll post the conclusion.

Ken B

Quote from: NikF4 on March 03, 2019, 11:25:54 PM

Part one of two - by Fabiano and originally published in La vie Parisienne about 1920(?)

Years ago (before they were called 'look books') we used to have a collection of images, photos, tearsheets etc in the studio to blatantly and unashamedly steal ideas from. Later my ex kind of turned it into a themed collection. This one is currently waiting to have its frame recycled. When I next change my avatar I'll post the conclusion.

Ha!
I have a few maxims of software development. One is : Theft is good.

NikF4

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2019, 07:08:15 AM
Ha!
I have a few maxims of software development. One is : Theft is good.

'All's fair in love and war and commercial photography and software development'.

George

Quote from: NikF4 on March 03, 2019, 11:25:54 PM

Great stuff!

Can I suggest that you use a cropped version for your avatar? Something like this:

As it is now, the forum software just cuts off much of the left and right parts of the image.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

NikF4

Quote from: George on March 05, 2019, 12:16:37 PM
Great stuff!

Can I suggest that you use a cropped version for your avatar? Something like this:

As it is now, the forum software just cuts off much of the left and right parts of the image.

Thanks, oor George. :) I've uploaded it as my avatar. Yeah, I had already cropped it a little but had no time to mess with it in an attempt to try and get it right.

Anyway, she's kind of broad in the beam for my taste, but as the concluding frame shows she seems absolutely delighted with herself and as ever, that's all that matters 8) -

'Qui trop s'admire... Se meconnait'

NikF4

Miss Gabrielle Ray. This and another couple of cards were in a job lot of postcards by A. Penot that I bought. At least, as far as I remember. Anyway, the Internet says this about her -
'Gabrielle Ray (28 April 1883 - 21 May 1973), was an English stage actress, dancer and singer, best known for her roles in Edwardian musical comedies and said to be original inspiration for the term "hookers and blow"'.

On the back of the card the date is give as 1911, which I believe is about the time of Gaspard de la nuit by Ravel and Debussy's Images. Isn't that a nice thought?

An aside: I have donated the other cards of her to a charity shop, but kept this this one for a simple reason. You see the way the clothing is knotted on her shoulder? - that's cool. That knot can do a job in place of employing acute lighting ratios, indulging in perspective distortion, sophisticated make up, intricate jewellery, artfully arranged hair, patterned or multi coloured clothing, layers and pleats, contrasting textures or weaves etc. But if you don't understand what I mean by that, do feel free to hit me up and ask about 'the afternoon the fashion model attended the ballet matinee'.  8)

e: the original card -

Jaakko Keskinen

My favorite Muppet character, Miss Piggy.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Alberich on March 09, 2019, 07:06:57 AM
My favorite Muppet character, Miss Piggy.

Love it!
Two weeks ago I told my 9-year old son that Miss Piggy was voiced by Frank Oz, who also is the voice of Yoda. Based upon the look on his face it was the biggest realization, and shock, of his young life. I felt proud.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 09, 2019, 08:12:02 AM

Love it!
Two weeks ago I told my 9-year old son that Miss Piggy was voiced by Frank Oz, who also is the voice of Yoda. Based upon the look on his face it was the biggest realization, and shock, of his young life. I felt proud.

Thanks! It was kind of a shock to me as well, when I learned it years ago.  :D
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

NikF4

If I were the artist (Maurice Pepin) I might have tried to have a little more fun where the bubbles are concerned.

NikF4

Tanika - represented the Soviet Union at gymnastics and for a number if years kept me fed, watered and fulfilled.

An aside?: that photo taken with what was new tech at the time, this phone -

Further, the last time I posted similar I was asked about the image on the tablet behind the phone -

At a soiree for dancers/actors, la *chica in the centre asked me to take a photo with her crappy cellphone. In this instance, black and white is a result of nothing more than lacking a RAW file in the face of about three different colour temperatures. The photographers on this forum know what I mean.
(an aside within an aside: see the object in the top right corner? That could be a speaker or a light or anything, but as a photographer it serves simp!y as a device to point at my subject)

*last I heard she was enjoying a career in cabaret emp!oyed as a dancer on a cruise ship. God bless everyone who sails in her.

Enough of the meta.  8) ;D

ritter

My new avatar is Fernand Léger's 1948 lithograph Nature morte aux fruits, his first print published by the Galérie Louise Leiris, and printed by Mourlot. It's an edition of 75 signed and numbered copies.

North Star

Quote from: ritter on March 23, 2019, 03:47:08 PM
My new avatar is Fernand Léger's 1948 lithograph Nature morte aux fruits, his first print published by the Galérie Louis Leiris, and printed by Mourlot. It's an edition of 75 signed and numbered copies.

Very cool, Rafael! Shame about the site viewing a crop of the image, though. Feel free to use one of the smaller images I made of it. I think the original looks better, but with the crop, the image is a bit less tiny - you pick. :P
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Many thanks, Karlo! I've chsnged it to the larger of the two images you provided, as it seems that way it appears less distorted when in the forum page.

Have a great Sunday.

Cheers,

Rafael

TheGSMoeller

A happy Koala bear that my son painted. Which means I will no longer be known as Monkey Greg, now it is Koala Greg.