Author Topic: Identify Your Avatar  (Read 256053 times)

Offline dissily Mordentroge

Re: Identify Your Avatar
« Reply #2800 on: November 23, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »
Me aged somewhere around 7 or 8.

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #2801 on: November 23, 2019, 09:41:49 PM »
Me aged somewhere around 7 or 8.

Cool, a great photo to have :).
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." - Marie Antoinette

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #2802 on: November 23, 2019, 09:58:52 PM »
my avatar is me questioning who i am and who i want to be

It’s a massive question, I sometimes wonder what I’d be like without the influences of other people and society, for instance living on a desert island.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." - Marie Antoinette

Offline jess

« Reply #2803 on: November 24, 2019, 02:53:49 AM »
It’s a massive question, I sometimes wonder what I’d be like without the influences of other people and society, for instance living on a desert island.

indeed! Honestly, I can't imagine what kind of person I would be if I were completely isolated from any aspect of society for the rest of my life. Most likely I would be very unhappy.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #2804 on: November 24, 2019, 07:25:11 AM »

I hope that you find a resolution. Welcome, by the way.  :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #2805 on: December 02, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
My avatar is a portrait of a younger Benjamin Britten. I can’t find the artist’s name at the moment.
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2806 on: December 02, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
My avatar is a portrait of a younger Benjamin Britten. I can’t find the artist’s name at the moment.

Kenneth Green I think John:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/439030663661847398/
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #2807 on: December 02, 2019, 02:30:18 PM »
Kenneth Green I think John:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/439030663661847398/

Kudos, Jeffrey. I never heard of this artist before.
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2808 on: December 02, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »
Kudos, Jeffrey. I never heard of this artist before.
Nor me John. I don't think that he's very well known. I'm quite interested in paintings/sculptures of composers. The National Portrait Gallery in London has a good collection of them.
For instance:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:48:54 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #2809 on: December 02, 2019, 11:02:51 PM »
Nor me John. I don't think that he's very well known. I'm quite interested in paintings/sculptures of composers. The National Portrait Gallery in London has a good collection of them.
For instance:

That’s a good painting of ol’ Ralph. I believe I have it saved on one of my flash drives.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #2810 on: December 10, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »
After 5 years I was due for a change. I’m going back to an operatic character.

This is Jean, the antihero of Massenet’s Le Jongleur de Notre-Dame. Pictured here in the role ca. 1925 is belgian tenor Marcel Claudel.

Offline Iota

« Reply #2811 on: December 10, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »
For instance:

What a striking sense of RVW's presence that painting offers! Thanks for posting, I must track it (and others) down when I'm next at the National Portrait Gallery.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #2812 on: December 10, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »

That authenticity makes your avatar more unique.

Offline Iota

« Reply #2813 on: December 11, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »
What a striking sense of RVW's presence that painting offers! Thanks for posting, I must track it (and others) down when I'm next at the National Portrait Gallery.

Coincidentally I wasn't far from the National Portrait Gallery today so popped in to see the original, but sadly struggled to see it clearly, hampered by what appeared to be slightly injudiciously directed lighting. The repercussions of a recent op on one of my eyes may also have contributed too, but anyway glad you posted it here, where for me its qualities seem much more in evidence.

Also noticed a Constance Lambert portrait which I associated with GMG, I think somebody here had it as their avatar.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #2814 on: December 11, 2019, 01:12:44 PM »
'Tis the season

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #2815 on: December 11, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
After 5 years I was due for a change. I’m going back to an operatic character.

This is Jean, the antihero of Massenet’s Le Jongleur de Notre-Dame. Pictured here in the role ca. 1925 is belgian tenor Marcel Claudel.

Great stuff, André. I’ve never been much of a fan of Massenet, and have never heard Le Jongleur de Notre-Dame. But, when I was very young, my uncle used to have an early edition (from the 1930s?) of The Víctor Book of Opera, and this work was discussed at length in it (I suppose in those years it was still being performed every now and then). Perhaps the picture you’ve chosen as an avatar even appeared in it. Thinking of it, I should get a recording of Le Jongleur... (for old times sake  :)).

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:41:45 PM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #2816 on: December 11, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
Thanks, Rafael, nice story!

I recently acquired a 2 disc set issued by Musique en Wallonie devoted to Marcel Claudel (the Jongleur of my avatar). He was big at La Monnaie and in Paris in the twenties and thirties. Much to my surprise, the list of arias in that set could be a copy and paste of what Alain Vanzo would sing some 30 years later.

There isn’t much to choose from for Le Jongleur. It’s not an opera, but a ‘miracle lyrique’ (Massenet’s title), and has been neglected by record companies. Fortunately there is a beautiful performance by Vanzo (EMI). He recorded it twice, the later version is also included in the Massenet box on Warner. I will explore the earlier version if I can get a copy at a decent price.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:51:32 PM by André »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #2817 on: December 11, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »
This is the earlier version, I assume.

There also seems to be a OOP recording with Alagna.
And this is right up your alley.

https://www.amazon.com/Massenet-Jongleur-Historical-Recordings-Excerpts/dp/B00004TZBM/

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #2818 on: December 11, 2019, 02:12:55 PM »
I think I’ll go for the Vanzo recording from Montecarlo on EMI, which is available cheap (used) and seems to have a libretto:

EDIT: Apparently no libretto, but “livret disponible sur www.emiclassics.com”. I suppose that webpage no longer exists, and anyway, in my experience, those links to online librettos usually lead to a dead end.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:46:40 PM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #2819 on: December 11, 2019, 02:45:14 PM »
'Tis the season

Indeed, Jeffrey. I changed mine to something festive as well. ;)