Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reckoner

ludwigii

A photo that I had never seen of Alfred Schnittke composing at the piano

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on October 12, 2016, 07:41:45 AM
Found in the middle of a roll of Tri-X

Nice. I didn't think I'd see Toots again.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 12, 2016, 02:13:31 PM
Nice. I didn't think I'd see Toots again.

Sarge

Thanks Sarge. It was in the middle of a roll of other things and so I didn't expect to see her either. It's just a grab shot that worked. There's almost a whole case of 120 taken of her over about four years. Developing that is a different proposition entirely.
Anyway, I spy on your shelf what appears to be a shot of Mrs. Rock. Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: ludwigii on October 12, 2016, 09:51:41 AM
A photo that I had never seen of Alfred Schnittke composing at the piano

Great! I've never seen that photo either. Keep them coming!

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2016, 08:15:55 PM
Great! I've never seen that photo either.

I'm sure you haven't.  It was your avatar last fall.

ludwigii

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2016, 08:15:55 PM
Great! I've never seen that photo either. Keep them coming!

Hello ? Is John there ? Don't speak too badly of my violin concertos, thanks !

;D

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2016, 09:45:42 PM
I'm sure you haven't.  It was your avatar last fall.

Hah! ;D

Quote from: ludwigii on October 12, 2016, 10:25:04 PM
Hello ? Is John there ? Don't speak too badly of my violin concertos, thanks !

;D

Hah! :D Another cool photo of one of my musical heroes.

anothername

Exceptional music,  beautiful cover.

NikF

On the wall above my desk my current avatar image used to reside between photos of Rocky Marciano and Louis Armstrong.

e: after this it's back to my crumpled old face. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on October 12, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
I spy on your shelf what appears to be a shot of Mrs. Rock. Good stuff.

Thanks. I like it even though it was the wrong film for the light source (I didn't have a filter to correct it). It works better as a monochrome image. I posted a b&w version a couple of years ago in the photography thread:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23022.msg846357.html#msg846357   

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 12:26:51 AM
On the wall above my desk my current avatar image used to reside between photos of Rocky Marciano and Louis Armstrong.

Love it.

e: after this it's back to my crumpled old face. :)

No! No! Give us more Toots!   ;)

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2016, 03:14:49 AM
Thanks. I like it even though it was the wrong film for the light source (I didn't have a filter to correct it). It works better as a monochrome image. I posted a b&w version a couple of years ago in the photography thread:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23022.msg846357.html#msg846357   

Sarge

Yeah, it works as black and white. The first thing I look at in a photo of woman is how she has posed her hands. It can be a visual telltale as far as comfort is concerned and I find if the hands aren't right then the pose (and everything else) usually misses. But here her hands are working and she looks good. She looks all good. :)

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2016, 03:19:37 AM

Love it.

Sarge

Thanks Sarge. And if I ever develop or scan or take stuff from the TIFF files of her you'll be the first to know. ;D

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2016, 03:19:37 AM

Love it.

Sarge
Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 03:35:40 AM
Yeah, it works as black and white. The first thing I look at in a photo of woman is how she has posed her hands. It can be a visual telltale as far as comfort is concerned and I find if the hands aren't right then the pose (and everything else) usually misses. But here her hands are working and she looks good. She looks all good. :)
Apart from suggesting that the point about the importance of hands in portraiture is equally important when photographing men, I can only say I agree with all said here.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

The reason I singled out woman and not men for attention as far as the hands are concerned, is because I find that often men (or the photographer! ;D ) can get away with it. While not every man has naturally boulderlike fists, they can more readily lend themselves to appearing as clumsy lumps or wide, expansive paddles - and that could seem more manly.

And not every woman has such long, elegant fingers as Mrs.Rock has in that shot, but if she had them flatter or was making a fist and gripping, it could be less forgiving. Kind of the same as why it's generally more usual to have harder lighting on a man's face as opposed to a woman. Or if you really want to push the boat out, why it's more acceptable to have a woman's chin over her (near) shoulder but a man's pulled away from his shoulder (unless youre shooting some kind of non-threatening boy band stuff. Seriously, that's where it's at. ;D )

Feel free to disagree. Obviously all any of us can do is speak from our own experience.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on October 14, 2016, 04:20:55 AM
The reason I singled out woman and not men for attention as far as the hands are concerned, is because I find that often men (or the photographer! ;D ) can get away with it. While not every man has naturally boulderlike fists, they can more readily lend themselves to appearing as clumsy lumps or wide, expansive paddles - and that could seem more manly.

And not every woman has such long, elegant fingers as Mrs.Rock has in that shot, but if she had them flatter or was making a fist and gripping, it could be less forgiving. Kind of the same as why it's generally more usual to have harder lighting on a man's face as opposed to a woman. Or if you really want to push the boat out, why it's more acceptable to have a woman's chin over her (near) shoulder but a man's pulled away from his shoulder (unless youre shooting some kind of non-threatening boy band stuff. Seriously, that's where it's at. ;D )

Feel free to disagree. Obviously all any of us can do is speak from our own experience.
All good points.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

My current avatar was taken late at night as part of a demo for a lens I was selling to some dude. He wanted to compare it with another of similar focal length. In the end he bought the more expensive of the two.
The photo itself is only notable because I was sitting in the middle of the road at about 02:00 and someone came out of their house to ask if I was okay. ;D

(I was just talking to ol' North Star there about a 'loose frame'...   ??? )

Bogey

Stinking cool photo.  Gives me that wonderful noir feeling.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on October 14, 2016, 09:26:47 AM
Stinking cool photo.  Gives me that wonderful noir feeling.

That's kind of you to say so. Thanks.
Bonus: and it's the first time I've ever had something I've done described as "Stinking cool".  8)