Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

My avatar and my signature line --- my top 3 composers.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

After deciding on Shostakovich again as my avatar, I decided upon this photo of his younger, more eager self (and quite happier I'm sure):

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2020, 08:45:07 AM
After deciding on Shostakovich again as my avatar, I decided upon this photo of his younger, more eager self (and quite happier I'm sure):

A dashing young man.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 07, 2020, 08:51:14 AM
A dashing young man.  :)

Little did he know that many of his close friends were heading to the Gulag. If we were able to completely undo history, there's no telling where Shostakovich would've gone stylistically.

Mirror Image

I decided to go with a younger photograph of Shostakovich as perhaps it represents a time in his life that he wished he could have relived, especially knowing what he knew in the 30s and 40s.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2020, 07:31:04 PM
I decided to go with a younger photograph of Shostakovich as perhaps it represents a time in his life that he wished he could have relived, especially knowing what he knew in the 30s and 40s.

Lovely photo.

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Nikolai (Miaskovsky/Myaskovsky) has had a makeover thanks to John (MI) who discovered a nice new photo of him
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2020, 01:56:15 PM
Nikolai (Miaskovsky/Myaskovsky) has had a makeover thanks to John (MI) who discovered a nice new photo of him

Yes! Nice to see a change in your avatar, Jeffrey. Glad you liked the photo. :) What's even cooler is both of us have two of the greatest Soviet Russian composers as our avatar. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 08, 2020, 01:59:23 PM
Yes! Nice to see a change in your avatar, Jeffrey. Glad you liked the photo. :) What's even cooler is both of us have two of the greatest Soviet Russian composers as our avatar. 8)
Very much agree John!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Shall we have a troika?
Though  my guy qualifies only as a Soviet composer, not a Russian one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on June 08, 2020, 06:02:02 PM
Shall we have a troika?
Though  my guy qualifies only as a Soviet composer, not a Russian one.

Khachaturian! 8)

JBS

Florestan

I reverted to Rachmaninoff and I also quote him in my signature line --- both items summing up my own musical, aesthetic and political stance, and proclaiming urbi et orbi that I am a brazen, unabashed and unrepentant romantic.  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 13, 2020, 10:36:08 AM
I reverted to Rachmaninoff and I also quote him in my signature line --- both items summing up my own musical, aesthetic and political stance, and proclaiming urbi et orbi that I am a brazen, unabashed and unrepentant romantic.  :D

Yeah and I went back to Shostakovich. :P

JBS

And I'm back to Raoul Duty.

Florestan

I decided to switch to a neutral avatar.

Anemones by Ștefan Luchian (1910)

George

Quote from: Florestan on June 24, 2020, 12:07:31 AM
I decided to switch to a neutral avatar.

Anemones by Ștefan Luchian (1910)

My girlfriend approves. (Her favorite flowers.)

And I approve, as any flower wins over Rachmaninov's mug. (Though I do adore his music.)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure