Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on June 11, 2008, 06:43:34 AM
My architecture addiction is taking over... Liverpool anglican cathedral underneath the bell tower, a f'ugly building (in many ways) but also very impressive. From this angle it looks like something from Judge Dredd

Do you know the Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral in Liverpool? It's a wonderfully Tolkienian looking building. I have been there (1987)...

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

Though like a lot of Liverpool, it looks better in the dark, as above  >:D  >:D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 11, 2008, 07:45:35 AM
Though like a lot of Liverpool, it looks better in the dark, as above  >:D  >:D

I like the muggers best in broad daylight.  >:D >:D

('Sorry!' said Boris)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

Quote from: Jezetha on June 11, 2008, 07:42:24 AM
Do you know the Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral in Liverpool? It's a wonderfully Tolkienian looking building. I have been there (1987)...

It's probably the jointly most successful "modern"* cathedral in England, IMO, along with Coventry. It has a more effective unified effect than C, but its simplicity also means that it lacks the impressive ambition of the other. Guildford is notable, but falls short due to the exterior looking like a glorified 70s fire station. I hadn't seen Liverpool at night before, the lighting compliments it a lot better than most gothic ones...

*Discounting deliberately backwards looking ones like Truro and Westminster, which are just ugly IMO.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

Quote from: Drasko on June 11, 2008, 10:14:35 AM
Where is that from?

A Sinister Dexter strip from 2000ad, I think the artist was Greg Staples - he did quite a lot of Judge Dredd for that magazine as well. Those signature "splatter" effects are quite distinctive.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on June 10, 2008, 06:23:46 PM
The great Stevie Wonder.

I just may have found a permanent avatar. 

Think of Ebony and Ivory, try not to hurl...and then get rid of that avatar  ;D  Get back to George.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 11, 2008, 01:41:02 PM
Think of Ebony and Ivory, try not to hurl...and then get rid of that avatar  ;D  Get back to George.

Sarge

Is that an order?  :P

Drasko

Quote from: Lethe on June 11, 2008, 11:49:11 AM
A Sinister Dexter strip from 2000ad, I think the artist was Greg Staples - he did quite a lot of Judge Dredd for that magazine as well. Those signature "splatter" effects are quite distinctive.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with any of them (strip, magazine or author). Yes, 'splatter' effect in nicely done but it's still just an effect. What I liked was toned down, just blue-orange, color scheme and composition of vast masses of buildings in first picture. 

Brian

The Harvey Korman mourning period is over.  :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brian on June 11, 2008, 03:20:25 PM

I noticed. You're back to good ol' Dvorak. I think I'll stick with Brian a bit longer. People are used to him/it, I think.

George

Quote from: Brian on June 11, 2008, 03:20:25 PM

I'll miss seeing Headley every day.  :-\

Lethevich

Quote from: Drasko on June 11, 2008, 03:18:00 PM
Thanks. I'm not familiar with any of them (strip, magazine or author). Yes, 'splatter' effect in nicely done but it's still just an effect. What I liked was toned down, just blue-orange, color scheme and composition of vast masses of buildings in first picture. 

2000ad was very extensively torrented on Demonoid a few years ago - there was a project to get all 1500+ scanned (with an incomplete collection of them weighing in at about 30gb), so I presume a lot are still in digital form if you want to look for them. It's a brilliant magazine IMO, while I stopped following it, I get major nostalgia :) It has great universes/characters, and somehow Judge Dredd remained kind of fresh after 30 years - and proved pretty original and creative with a lot in its universe. At a time when other dystopian sci-fi was focusing on the breakdown of society due to a lack of resources/a catastrophe, I just find it funny that a lot of JD's criminals were doing it out of boredom, as many jobs had become mechanised, and they were given a "pension" style income to live on - little things like that make the comic more creative than its copycats.

Drasko

Quote from: Lethe on June 11, 2008, 04:03:16 PM
2000ad was very extensively torrented on Demonoid a few years ago - there was a project to get all 1500+ scanned (with an incomplete collection of them weighing in at about 30gb), so I presume a lot are still in digital form if you want to look for them. It's a brilliant magazine IMO, while I stopped following it, I get major nostalgia :) It has great universes/characters, and somehow Judge Dredd remained kind of fresh after 30 years - and proved pretty original and creative with a lot in its universe. At a time when other dystopian sci-fi was focusing on the breakdown of society due to a lack of resources/a catastrophe, I just find it funny that a lot of JD's criminals were doing it out of boredom, as many jobs had become mechanised, and they were given a "pension" style income to live on - little things like that make the comic more creative than its copycats.

I stopped folowing magazines something like 15 years ago but do get occasional bouts of nostalgia myself. And yes, I certainly agree that ennui makes far more elegant reason for corruption than plain need and dire circumstances.

Brian

The cover of The Economist this week was a striking photograph of an Iraqi in a dreadful-looking stall of some sort, the building almost falling almost falling apart, the man sitting at his work-bench building an oud. He is an extraordinary craftsman, too, judging from the work which he's putting into it, the glorious beauty of the soon-to-be-finished product, and the meager tools at his disposal. The photo really touched me and I'm sad that I can only use this tiny detail as an avatar.

Here's the photo:

Incidentally, my great-grandmother was one of the finest oud teachers in Turkey; we still have several CDs which were released on major Turkish and "world music" labels by her most prominent students. My love of the instrument and the incredible beauty of this man making something so timeless in a scene which time has left behind combine to make this picture especially meaningful for me.

Quote from: Jezetha on June 11, 2008, 03:22:31 PM
I noticed. You're back to good ol' Dvorak. I think I'll stick with Brian a bit longer. People are used to him/it, I think.
Perhaps I should switch to Brian.  :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brian on June 14, 2008, 09:42:06 AM
Incidentally, my great-grandmother was one of the finest oud teachers in Turkey; we still have several CDs which were released on major Turkish and "world music" labels by her most prominent students. My love of the instrument and the incredible beauty of this man making something so timeless in a scene which time has left behind combine to make this picture especially meaningful for me.

Perhaps I should switch to Brian.  :D

A beautiful and fascinating aside about your great-grandmother, Brian.

Re the other Brian: you are, perhaps more than I am, entitled to using his avatar (in a sort of visual pun)! But I trust you'll allow me its continued use.

George

Brian

Quote from: Jezetha on June 14, 2008, 10:57:54 AM
Re the other Brian: you are, perhaps more than I am, entitled to using his avatar (in a sort of visual pun)! But I trust you'll allow me its continued use.
Thank you. And permission granted, sir.  ;)

mn dave

no. it  is not a picture of me.  ;D

pjme

Revueltas - because in oktober conductor Dirk Brossé will lead the Brussels PhO in Noche de los Mayas, Villa Lobos ' Amazonas and a Leo Brouwer guitar Concierto ! Students from the GHent conservatory will play the extra percussion. I hope it will all be broadcast & taped.