Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haffner

Cato

Cato the Younger was a conservative Roman republican who opposed Julius Caesar's dictatorship.  After being defeated in the civil war, he committed suicide rather than live under dictatorship.

The suicide was reported (by Plutarch) as taking place in two stages: he plunged his sword into his abdomen, but his hands were injured in the battle against Caesar, preventing him from cutting himself for a quick death.  After he fainted, his horrified servants called for a doctor, who put his intestines back into place, sewed him up, and revived him.  Cato was horrified that his suicide had been sullied, and ripped out the stitches and pulled out his intestines with his bare hands.   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Cato on March 18, 2009, 03:59:23 PM
Cato the Younger was a conservative Roman republican who opposed Julius Caesar's dictatorship.  After being defeated in the civil war, he committed suicide rather than live under dictatorship.

The suicide was reported (by Plutarch) as taking place in two stages: he plunged his sword into his abdomen, but his hands were injured in the battle against Caesar, preventing him from cutting himself for a quick death.  After he fainted, his horrified servants called for a doctor, who put his intestines back into place, sewed him up, and revived him.  Cato was horrified that his suicide had been sullied, and ripped out the stitches and pulled out his intestines with his bare hands.   :o

Yeh, yeh.....but what did he think of Alexander Glazunov? ;D

Cato

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 18, 2009, 04:17:04 PM
Yeh, yeh.....but what did he think of Alexander Glazunov? ;D

Good question!  I suspect Cato would have been highly skeptical at least of Glazunov's "undisciplined nature." 

Cato was a Stoic, and they took no prisoners on such things!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Cato on March 18, 2009, 04:20:37 PM
Good question!  I suspect Cato would have been highly skeptical at least of Glazunov's "undisciplined nature." 

Cato was a Stoic, and they took no prisoners on such things!   0:)

I like all those Stoic writings. Must be one. :)

маразм1

well my picture here was taken on Long Island.  I waited for like 8 months to develop the film and then this retard exposed some of the film partially.  that's why the picture has an orange tint, but overall it looks pretty badass.  no photoshopping was involved!

George

Quote from: маразм1 on March 19, 2009, 07:52:54 AM
well my picture here was taken on Long Island.  I waited for like 8 months to develop the film and then this retard exposed some of the film partially.  that's why the picture has an orange tint, but overall it looks pretty badass.  no photoshopping was involved!

Looks more like Fire Island.   >:D

greg

I'm thinking of changing my avatar once my friend's pic is uploaded. She did a lying on the floor pose to pretend being asleep for me, since it's almost impossible to catch her sleeping to take a picture. I'm thinking of having that as my picture, with my name as "Sergeant Sword Raper."

Dr. Dread

Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica.

Haffner

Some picture I found.

I like the purple  ;).

aquablob

Quote from: AndyD. on March 21, 2009, 03:01:34 AM
I like the purple  ;).

Yes, it's a rather deep hue, methinks.

Dr. Dread

I don't know why I even post in here.  ;D

aquablob

Dr. Dread

Quote from: aquariuswb on March 21, 2009, 06:30:56 AM
I know, I'm lame. Sorry!

No, no. I meant my avatar changes so often, what's the point?

aquablob

Ah, I thought you were poking fun at Andy, me, and our lameness (not that Andy is lame).

Haffner

Quote from: aquariuswb on March 21, 2009, 07:05:02 AM
Ah, I thought you were poking fun at Andy, me, and our lameness (not that Andy is lame).

Wait, I'm lame and happy  :D ;)! And yes, methinks the purplish hue quite deep as well, kind freund!

George

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 21, 2009, 06:44:26 AM
No, no. I meant my avatar changes so often, what's the point?

I used to change mine because it was fun. Now I'd really love to find one to stick with.  :-\

knight66

Quote from: Gay Cuban Communist on March 19, 2009, 02:45:53 PM
I'm thinking of having that as my picture, with my name as "Sergeant Sword Raper."

Do you know: were you ever dropped on your head when you were young?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Renfield

Quote from: knight on March 21, 2009, 07:31:31 AM
Do you know: were you ever dropped on your head when you were young?

Mike

Tsk, Mike, ever so tactful. ;D

George

Quote from: Renfield on March 21, 2009, 07:37:57 AM
Tsk, Mike, ever so tactful. ;D

I was going to piggy back that with "Dented Skull Terrorist," but then I thought better of it.  ;D