Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

This one is close, but not quite....or is it

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bogey on March 23, 2009, 07:25:52 PM
This one is close, but not quite....or is it

Damn, you're good. That's an image from the movie Zombie. A must see if you'd like to see a zombie battling a shark on the ocean floor.

Benji

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 23, 2009, 07:27:57 PM
Damn, you're good. That's an image from the movie Zombie. A must see if you'd like to see a zombie battling a shark on the ocean floor.

After reading that comment there was nothing in the world, nothing I wanted to do more than see a zombie fight a shark. So I did.

How on Earth did we manage before Youtube?  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0

Haffner

Quote from: Benji on March 24, 2009, 11:18:41 AM
After reading that comment there was nothing in the world, nothing I wanted to do more than see a zombie fight a shark. So I did.

How on Earth did we manage before Youtube?  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0

Watch the whole movie. The scenes on the island (early in the movie) are some of the most dread inducing ever in film. The last half of the movie lives up to the build up. In spades.

ChamberNut

George, George, George!

An extremely nostalgic moment.....seeing that album cover for Def Leppard's Pyromania!  :)

My sister had that LP, when I was 9 years old, and we'd listen to it every morning while we were waiting for the school bus to arrive and pick us up for school.

And of course, I had that "backpatch" later on when I was a teenager.  ;) ;D  Def Lep was my true first "favorite band", and stayed that way for many years!

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2009, 07:13:51 AM
George, George, George!

An extremely nostalgic moment.....seeing that album cover for Def Leppard's Pyromania!  :)

My sister had that LP, when I was 9 years old, and we'd listen to it every morning while we were waiting for the school bus to arrive and pick us up for school.

And of course, I had that "backpatch" later on when I was a teenager.  ;) ;D  Def Lep was my true first "favorite band", and stayed that way for many years!

You sound Hysterical! (pun intended)  ;) 

BTW, as much as I loved Pyromania, I thought that Hysteria was pretty bad. Could have been my age, I suppose.

Gunter glieben glauchen globen  8)

orbital

>:D

George

Haffner

Quote from: George on March 29, 2009, 08:02:34 AM
You sound Hysterical! (pun intended)  ;) 

BTW, as much as I loved Pyromania, I thought that Hysteria was pretty bad. Could have been my age, I suppose.

Gunter glieben glauchen globen  8)

High and Dry and Pyromania were fun! Hysteria sounded ultra-programmed, really bad in my humble opinion.

George

Quote from: AndyD. on March 29, 2009, 01:28:43 PM

High and Dry and Pyromania were fun! Hysteria sounded ultra-programmed, really bad in my humble opinion.

Exactly.

Haffner

Quote from: George on March 29, 2009, 01:37:37 PM
Exactly.

The term "Overly Processed Product" comes to mind.

ChamberNut

I will post have a different avatar starting today every day for the next week indicating some of my favorite CDs/tapes growing up:

Day 1 - Def Leppard's 'High n Dry'  :)

George

Quote from: AndyD. on March 29, 2009, 01:54:44 PM

The term "Overly Processed Product" comes to mind.

The drummer lost his arm and the band lost their credibility.  :-\

ChamberNut

Quote from: George on March 29, 2009, 03:20:41 PM
The drummer lost his arm and the band lost their credibility.  :-\
To be fair, they had to make some adjustments with Rick Allen losing his arm (if they wanted him to still be in the band).  Going with the electronic drums definitely changed their signature sound a bit.  And being a long time between Pyromania and Hysteria, they felt I guess that a new direction was needed, because maybe people had forgotten about them, so they needed a commercial hit?  :-\  Just a thought.  I still think there are some excellent tunes on Hysteria, including the title track.

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2009, 03:25:04 PM
And being a long time between Pyromania and Hysteria, they felt I guess that a new direction was needed, because maybe people had forgotten about them, so they needed a commercial hit? 

Well, they had plenty of commercial hits with Pyromania - Photograph, Rock of Ages, Foolin - so I don't think a change was needed to score a hit on Hysteria.  :-\

ChamberNut

Quote from: George on March 29, 2009, 03:28:01 PM
Well, they had plenty of commercial hits with Pyromania - Photograph, Rock of Ages, Foolin - so I don't think a change was needed to score a hit on Hysteria.  :-\

True, I agree there.  I think they originally planned on going status quo (ie. the hard driving HnD and Pryo sound), but along the way they decided to go way more commercial 'pop rock'.  Most definitely, High N Dry and Pyromania best capture the true energy and feel of what Def Leppard was, for me.  Those two still would sound great today (but I won't be).  :)  I've moved on.

Haffner

Quote from: George on March 29, 2009, 03:28:01 PM

To be fair, 1987 was pretty abysmal. It was the real beginning of the Hair Metal saturation era (you know, the one that killed heavy metal for a time). Motley Crue, Poison...one of the only good albums that came out of it was former Deep Purple vocalist David Coverdale's Whitesnake (self titled album). And even that was a bit of a sell out, salvaged mostly by the phenomenal guitar playing of ex-Thin Lizzy guitarist John Sykes.

George

Quote from: AndyD. on March 29, 2009, 04:18:49 PM
...one of the only good albums that came out of it was former Deep Purple vocalist David Coverdale's Whitesnake (self titled album).

Yeah, I need to re-buy that one. GREAT album, if very 80's sounding.  :)

Bogey

My first album of there's was:

I believe I bought it in the summer of '83.  It was an import disc and came in really loose cellophane and cost a few dollars more.  Good stuff.  As for their later works, I enjoyed them but not nearly as much as my mom....yup, you heard me right folks.  :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz