Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Renfield on March 30, 2009, 02:43:49 AM
I actually think Greg was born in 1987. ;D
You got it!

Not to mention the artist who got me into music in the first place got famous for an album he released in 1987- i wouldn't be surprised if it was the first album I listened to all the way through, from beginning to end, by myself..... voluntarily.

ChamberNut

I will post have a different avatar starting today every day for the next week indicating some of my favorite CDs/tapes growing up:

Day 1 - Def Leppard's 'High n Dry' 
Day 2 - Van Halen's 'Fair Warning'
Day 3 - Supertramp's 'Breakfast in America'

George

I'd wager that ChamberNut had cookies for breakfast.  8)

ChamberNut

Quote from: George on March 31, 2009, 04:45:20 AM
I'd wager that ChamberNut had cookies for breakfast.  8)
Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got.......Not much of a girlfriend, I never seem to get a lot.....What she got?....Not a lot!

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 31, 2009, 04:55:29 AM
Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got.......Not much of a girlfriend, I never seem to get a lot.....What she got?....Not a lot!

...bah dah dah dah, dah dah dah da-da dah dah da-da...

ChamberNut

I will post have a different avatar starting today every day for the next week indicating some of my favorite CDs/tapes growing up:

Day 4 - The Police's 'Zenyetta Mondatta'

ChamberNut

Day 5 - Pink Floyd's 'Atom Heart Mother'

ChamberNut

Day 6 - Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds'

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: AndyD. on March 30, 2009, 07:24:49 AM
I love it too much. When I say "Metal", though, I include alot of Wagner, Beethoven's symphonies (1st movement of the Eroica...Metal baybeee!), Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Mozart's Requiem and Don Giovanni, etc.

Shouldn't it really be the other way around? Classical existed long before metal. So metal is actually classical!
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dr. Dread

Quote from: donwyn on April 03, 2009, 08:05:56 AM
Shouldn't it really be the other way around? Classical existed long before metal. So metal is actually classical!

;D

Haffner

Quote from: donwyn on April 03, 2009, 08:05:56 AM

This man is truly a genius. We metalheads need you!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: AndyD. on April 03, 2009, 01:05:11 PM
This man is truly a genius. We metalheads need you!

;) ;D

Well, I'm not sure how to say this but my friends and I spent many a year in the underground scene - first hardcore then metal (back in the day I mean, early/mid 80s)...

...ran the gamut of all the coolest bands, attended as many concerts as possible in whatever decrepit dump would bother to build a stage and let bands perform there before the fire marshal condemned the place, watched the skinheads turn a thriving scene into a war zone, talked to Bad Brains' lead singer in the men's restroom while he preached about Jah, roadied/ran lights for my friends who had the coolest hardcore then metal bands that never made it, smoked/swallowed/snorted just about everything I could get my hands on, together with my friends built the most awesome skateboard halfpipe with specs from Thrasher with wood/materials stolen from all corners of our immediate area (and later got a writeup in Thrasher!), watched the hardcore scene - and several of the bands in it (Agnostic Front, Corrosion Of Conformity) - morph into that hardcore/metal hybrid scene for awhile until metal eventually won out, cried as my favorite metal band - Fates Warning - never achieved the fame that was due them (on par with Metallica, I mean) all the while looking on in disgust as Metal Church totally sold out on their second album, hoping for the return of Poison Idea to the throne of hardcore while Social Unrest just couldn't keep it together for a repeat of "Rat In A Maze", and Trouble sped up to 45rpm (on LP) sounded almost as cool as regular 33rpm (those guys took slow to new...slows...but wow!!)...

...but...

...despite all this, despite all the energy, raw power, excitement, and adrenalin of that whirlwind time, NOTHING comes close to the sheer hypnosis/catharsis/draining power that is classical music.     

All I need now is to find a men's restroom and start preaching...

:)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dr. Dread

Quote from: donwyn on April 03, 2009, 09:08:59 PM
;) ;D

Well, I'm not sure how to say this but my friends and I spent many a year in the underground scene - first hardcore then metal (back in the day I mean, early/mid 80s)...

...ran the gamut of all the coolest bands, attended as many concerts as possible in whatever decrepit dump would bother to build a stage and let bands perform there before the fire marshal condemned the place, watched the skinheads turn a thriving scene into a war zone, talked to Bad Brains' lead singer in the men's restroom while he preached about Jah, roadied/ran lights for my friends who had the coolest hardcore then metal bands that never made it, smoked/swallowed/snorted just about everything I could get my hands on, together with my friends built the most awesome skateboard halfpipe with specs from Thrasher with wood/materials stolen from all corners of our immediate area (and later got a writeup in Thrasher!), watched the hardcore scene - and several of the bands in it (Agnostic Front, Corrosion Of Conformity) - morph into that hardcore/metal hybrid scene for awhile until metal eventually won out, cried as my favorite metal band - Fates Warning - never achieved the fame that was due them (on par with Metallica, I mean) all the while looking on in disgust as Metal Church totally sold out on their second album, hoping for the return of Poison Idea to the throne of hardcore while Social Unrest just couldn't keep it together for a repeat of "Rat In A Maze", and Trouble sped up to 45rpm (on LP) sounded almost as cool as regular 33rpm (those guys took slow to new...slows...but wow!!)...

...but...

...despite all this, despite all the energy, raw power, excitement, and adrenalin of that whirlwind time, NOTHING comes close to the sheer hypnosis/catharsis/draining power that is classical music.     

Wow. I had no idea. I wish you'd preach to some guys I know.

greg

;) ;D

...but...

That's the longest sentence I've ever read in my life.

Haffner

;) ;D

...but...

Dude. You rule.

And it was a horrible shame about Metal Church, such a mega-promising debut.

I believe the future will be more kind to Fates Warning.

Dr. Dread

A feller from the Old West.

Jay F

I just changed my avatar to a picture of an Italian Greyhound. I'm thinking of getting one soon, so I want to look at pictures of them.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: nicht schleppend on April 04, 2009, 08:43:10 AM
I just changed my avatar to a picture of an Italian Greyhound. I'm thinking of getting one soon, so I want to look at pictures of them.

Excellent choice.  0:)

ChamberNut

Day 6 - Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds'
Day 7 - Ozzy Osbourne 'Diary of A Madman'

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mn Dave on April 04, 2009, 05:56:49 AM
Wow. I had no idea.

Mild mannered reporter by day...

QuoteI wish you'd preach to some guys I know.

;)