Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: AndyD. on April 04, 2009, 06:40:50 AM

Dude. You rule.

And it was a horrible shame about Metal Church, such a mega-promising debut.

I believe the future will be more kind to Fates Warning.

:)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Jay F

Dr. Dread

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: donwyn on April 03, 2009, 09:08:59 PM

...ran the gamut of all the coolest bands, attended as many concerts as possible in whatever decrepit dump would bother to build a stage and let bands perform there before the fire marshal condemned the place, watched the skinheads turn a thriving scene into a war zone, talked to Bad Brains' lead singer in the men's restroom while he preached about Jah...

I never talked to H.R. but I danced with him once  8)  I was at the front of the stage at a Bad Brains concert (in Tübingen Germany, 1983), when I was somehow elevated onto the stage. I danced a bit and then dove off into the crowd.

Here's a pic of me shortly before my ascension  ;D  Click on thumbnail:

We (my punk friend and I) often encountered skinheads at punk concerts but we could usually handle them with little problem. The funniest instance was at a club that was featuring German punk bands. For some insane reason, a hippie, in flowing robes, decided to get out on the floor all by himself and do some kind of lame ballet. A skinhead took him out...which angered a girl I was talking to. She was a communist, a street performer, about five feet tall. She rushed out onto the floor, confronted this hulking 6 feet plus skinhead and shamed him into retreating.  ;D  One of the bravest, and coolest things I've ever seen.

Musicians I did manage to talk to in my punk days: Henry Rollins after a Black Flag gig at the Löwenbräü Keller in Munich. We invaded the dressing room and gave Henry a 13 ball (long story) we'd stolen from the company day room. We had a drink with Charlie Harper (singer of the UK Subs) after the Sub's show in Heidelberg.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 05, 2009, 06:45:44 AM
I never talked to H.R. but I danced with him once  8)  I was at the front of the stage at a Bad Brains concert (in Tübingen Germany, 1983), when I was somehow elevated onto the stage. I danced a bit and then dove off into the crowd.

Here's a pic of me shortly before my ascension  ;D  Click on thumbnail:

;D Nice! Looks like a great time for all. So were you actually a Sarge at that time?

I have to say the memory of that Bad Brains "sermon" in the men's room has stuck with me to this day. The most memorable line: "No worry. No fears. No World War III, man. There will be no WWIII. The missiles, when they are up in the air...Jah will pluck them from the sky" - all while motioning with his hands in a plucking motion. 8)

It might have been pure fantasy but it sure had the men's room crown hanging on every word! ;D

QuoteWe (my punk friend and I) often encountered skinheads at punk concerts but we could usually handle them with little problem. The funniest instance was at a club that was featuring German punk bands. For some insane reason, a hippie, in flowing robes, decided to get out on the floor all by himself and do some kind of lame ballet. A skinhead took him out...which angered a girl I was talking to. She was a communist, a street performer, about five feet tall. She rushed out onto the floor, confronted this hulking 6 feet plus skinhead and shamed him into retreating.  ;D  One of the bravest, and coolest things I've ever seen.

That is brave! Unfortunately something like that in my neck of the woods (Dallas) probably would've netted her a kick in the head. We had the misfortune of having a rigorous and very well organized skinhead movement. Started small but eventually grew so large that they would show up in Deep Ellum (the hardcore/punk hangout in downtown) in such numbers they seemed like locusts. They were everywhere. And they weren't looking to have a nice tea with the lads. They were out to bust heads.

It got so bad the police finally had to step in - in equally large numbers, of course. So now the scene had to withstand a double-whammy from two sides: the skinheads who wanted to destroy everything and the police who began to practically infiltrate our every move - for our protection, I suppose, or the protection of the city streets. The weight of it all eventually helped fragment the hardcore scene - almost to the point of collapse. There simply were no places (halls/dumps) left willing to cater to such an incendiary crowd. 

Luckily the Feds eventually broke up the skinheads and normalcy again returned to the alternative scene. But Deep Ellum was never the same. Though honestly we really have the next great organized movement to thank for that: the yuppies. Hey, they can see dollar signs in anything! ;D

QuoteMusicians I did manage to talk to in my punk days: Henry Rollins after a Black Flag gig at the Löwenbräü Keller in Munich. We invaded the dressing room and gave Henry a 13 ball (long story) we'd stolen from the company day room.

Ok, 13 ball? ;D

Ironically, one of THE coolest talks my friends and I ever had was with the band Agnostic Front (back when they were punk). Ironic because they were thoughtful, articulate, pacifist...and one of the leading skinhead bands around. They were themselves puzzled at all the violence in the scene but hadn't a clue how to stop it.

QuoteWe had a drink with Charlie Harper (singer of the UK Subs) after the Sub's show in Heidelberg.

Cool, Sarge!

One of my all-time favorite shows was the twin-bill of The Exploited and the UK Subs. I don't think I'd ever seen the Twilight Room (the scene's "premier" hall) so packed! Absolute wall-to-wall people. Despite this I managed to plant myself right up front and remained there the whole show.

Ah, those were the days...
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dr. Dread

knight66

Well Dave, that diet he has been on has had both positive and negative effects; but over all, a success I feel.

Arthur Brown

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: knight on April 11, 2009, 01:50:55 AM
Well Dave, that diet he has been on has had both positive and negative effects; but over all, a success I feel.

Arthur Brown

Mike

Hm. Might be a different guy, Mike.  ;D

ChamberNut

Sara!!  I do believe that is the first time I've seen you change your avatar.  :o

No more talky cat?  8)

Lethevich

Indeed! I've had about 4 avatars in as many years - they don't change very often 0:) The cat will be back after Newman has either been beaten or run off :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Lethe on May 28, 2009, 01:44:04 PM
Indeed! I've had about 4 avatars in as many years - they don't change very often 0:) The cat will be back after Newman has either been beaten or run off :D

Well, then we have a goal to achieve!!  The cat simply must come back!  :D

Lethevich

By the way, I commend you on the striking dissonance between your nickname and avatar! :D It gave me a bit of a shock when Brahms disappeared for Bruckner.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dr. Dread

ChamberNut

Quote from: Lethe on May 28, 2009, 01:57:40 PM
By the way, I commend you on the striking dissonance between your nickname and avatar! :D It gave me a bit of a shock when Brahms disappeared for Bruckner.

I know.....I actually thought about that the other day.  People will think I am a nut for calling myself ChamberNut and having an avatar of a predominantly orchestral composer!  8)

I change mine regularly, so I'm sure Brahms, et al will make a re-appearance.

Valentino

So Sarge's stage diving? Better wear a hat then.

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

ChamberNut

I like Dave's wolf avatar the best it this point in time.  I think we should all change our avatars to wolves.  Our gangs of wolves unite in support of our beloved Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart!

0:)

Dr. Dread

You're hungry...like the wolf.

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 29, 2009, 09:01:05 AM
I like Dave's wolf avatar the best it this point in time.  I think we should all change our avatars to wolves.  Our gangs of wolves unite in support of our beloved Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart!

0:)

"Werewolf Bar Mitzvah - boys becoming men, men becoming wolves"  ;D

ChamberNut

Quote from: George on May 29, 2009, 09:15:22 AM
"Werewolf Bar Mitzvah - boys becoming men, men becoming wolves"  ;D

Now there is a scary avatar.  ;D