Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 17, 2009, 01:03:16 PM
You're welcome, Bruce. Borges is one of my favorite writers, too. Probably you will enjoy this, if you don't know it yet:

Wow, how totally cool is that--the closest we'll ever get to seeing Borges as "stand-up comedian"!  I didn't quite "get" all of the sonnet in Spanish, but never mind.  That was a treat. 

PS, my first exposure to Borges was reading him in Spanish when I was 17 or so, studying the language in high school.  As you can imagine, my mind was completely blown, trying to make sense out of The Circular Ruins or The Garden of Forking Paths--difficult enough in one's native language, but quite a challenge in a "new" one!

Anyway, thanks again for that little diversion.

--Bruce

MN Dave

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 17, 2009, 01:03:16 PM
I'm not surprised at all, Dave. Just a stupid (and incomprehensible) joke: in Spanish walking stick = báculo, from the latin Bacŭlum, then I thought that a blind man needs a Bachulus... I know, I know, incomprehensible, too long, too complicated...  ;D

Thanks.  :)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 17, 2009, 11:32:25 AM
Opus106,

I love it!!!  ;D :D ;D  I can't believe I was able to coax you into changing your avatar?  You NEVER waver from your original avatar!

:)

Just a twenty-four hour trial. Crazy Thursday it was, listening to Bartok and changing my avatar. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus106 on September 18, 2009, 06:37:36 AM
Just a twenty-four hour trial. Crazy Thursday it was, listening to Bartok and changing my avatar. ;)

I think it should be your permanent avatar.  ;D ;)

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 18, 2009, 06:45:10 AM
I think it should be your permanent avatar.  ;D ;)

Yeah, and I should have Stockhausen on repeat mode. :P
Regards,
Navneeth

MN Dave

CD

MN Dave

The sun. Even more beautiful.

bhodges

Quote from: ' on September 24, 2009, 01:50:39 PM
We moved back to Amarillo (for the third time) when I was in the second grade, and I remember being excited at being able to look out my bedroom window and see the lights of the Holiday Inn and the Ramada Inn on Rt 66, and also the thrill of seeing license plates from all over N. America funneling through that stretch of highway.

Later I learned that one of them carried the Stravinskys and Craft, who once spent the night in my home town. Hard for me to feature that. '

Great little snapshot--not to mention learning of Stravinsky and Craft being steps away from you!  PS, I've been to Amarillo a number of times, since I used to live in Lubbock years ago. 

--Bruce

DavidW

Quote from: bhodges on September 25, 2009, 06:26:26 AM
Great little snapshot--not to mention learning of Stravinsky and Craft being steps away from you!  PS, I've been to Amarillo a number of times, since I used to live in Lubbock years ago. 

--Bruce

Then you should be pleased to know Bruce, as reported on the news a few days ago, Lubbock is no longer a dry city! ;D  It was the largest dry city in Texas. :D

bhodges

Quote from: DavidW on September 25, 2009, 06:33:41 AM
Then you should be pleased to know Bruce, as reported on the news a few days ago, Lubbock is no longer a dry city! ;D  It was the largest dry city in Texas. :D

Well, it's about time!  (Actually I was way too young to drink when we lived there.)  But I'm sure people are happy not to have to drive to another town to be able to buy a bottle of wine!

Thanks, hadn't heard that.  Will pass on to my family members to get their reaction!

--Bruce

Opus106

??? Now David (W) looks like BaxMan, who is now (back to being) HaydnGuy. And yesterday, the two rodents (David (W, again) and Ray), even though they weren't even the same species, had me confused.

:-\

And now Dave (MN, but in reality another W) is just ChamberNut -- a former self of, actually -- from a different angle!

There's only so much a little mind like mine can handle...AAARGH!  :'(

Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus106 on September 26, 2009, 07:52:41 AM
??? Now David (W) looks like BaxMan, who is now (back to being) HaydnGuy. And yesterday, the two rodents (David (W, again) and Ray), even though they weren't even the same species, had me confused.

:-\

And now Dave (MN, but in reality another W) is just ChamberNut -- a former self of, actually -- from a different angle!

There's only so much a little mind like mine can handle...AAARGH!  :'(

;D ;D ;D

I'll add that 'Secondwind' had me confused with David (W), with her rodent avatar, which looked like David's first rodent avatar from a few weeks ago!  :D

DavidW

Haha confusion is wonderful! :D

DFO

DFO Russian commemorative silver 2 roubles coin

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

MN Dave

Yes, officer. The avatar is mine.