Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Barak on January 16, 2010, 08:01:34 AM
A painting by Cornelius Krieghoff, Canada's best-known painter. He specialized in winter scenes.

No shit.

Thread duty: The old WETA Logo in reduced form. Specifically chosen (apart from plugging WETA, that is) to be flat and not take up a lot of space in case my posts contain just a few lines.

knight66

She nevertheless still looks only about 15.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

jlaurson

Quote from: knight on April 25, 2010, 02:33:51 AM
She nevertheless still looks only about 15.

True. If a grown man made that his avatar, the only message I'd get from that is: Never the f*#$ agree to meet that sick weirdo and make your children are locked away and safe if and when he's on the prowl. But then I don't understand the worn-underwear dispensing machines, either.

Brian

Joao Silva for the New York Times. Published May 1, 2008; later became a cover photo for The Economist. Possibly my favorite photograph of all time, especially for the symbolism: this is a craftsman building an oud at his workshop in Baghdad. Out of something ugly, or ordinary, or humble, something so beautiful can be born.

canninator

A detail from an engraving contained within Tres libros de musica en cifras para vihuela by Alonso Mudarra (1546).

Il Furioso was the pseudonym of the great 17th century guitarist-composer Giovanni Foscarini.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on April 28, 2010, 09:22:08 PM

Joao Silva for the New York Times. Published May 1, 2008; later became a cover photo for The Economist. Possibly my favorite photograph of all time, especially for the symbolism: this is a craftsman building an oud at his workshop in Baghdad. Out of something ugly, or ordinary, or humble, something so beautiful can be born.

Truly a gorgeous picture. Of course, even knowing it isn't you, I imagine it is. (Just like I though Sarge, a trim ex-military man, would wear a helmet. [He didn't.])

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on April 28, 2010, 09:22:08 PM

When I first came back to this forum Brian, I thought that was a picture of you! :D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on April 29, 2010, 07:46:46 AM
When I first came back to this forum Brian, I thought that was a picture of you! :D

The same. What added to this is that your posts are well beyond the sophistication that I would have been able to create at age 20.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Renfield

On the general topic of avatars, I thought it worth reviving this thread to address something that bothers me a little.

There was a discussion in the 'Listening' thread where I was thinking out loud that I'm probably the only one along with Sarge who has never changed their avatars, and was found to be patently incorrect, and then was wondering out loud how how many have actually never changed it.

But I'd like to make something, that all this thinking out loud might have distorted, explicit:

I never intended to suggest someone who doesn't change their avatar is somehow superior, more 'settled', or whatever else, compared to one who does. To name just one example, I utterly love Bruce's gallery of avatars, and the fact that they change.

Probably the one thing that does bother me is avatars that change too quickly to keep up with - like Greg's, or MN Dave's at some point.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Renfield on June 08, 2010, 07:06:49 AM
Probably the one thing that does bother me is avatars that change too quickly to keep up with - like Greg's, or MN Dave's at some point.

Surely Eugene, this means you were never a fan of 'Rodent Avatar Fridays'  ;D

Renfield

Quote from: Brahmsian on June 08, 2010, 08:16:46 AM
Surely Eugene, this means you were never a fan of 'Rodent Avatar Fridays'  ;D

Surely you mean Furry-days? ;D

greg

*goes off and considers starting to change it every day

Renfield

Quote from: Greg on June 08, 2010, 09:05:59 AM
*goes off and considers starting to change it every day

How about you pick a theme, and use variations on it?

Scarpia

Mine's currently a painting by Edward Hopper.  I might change it to other paintings by Edward Hopper.

greg

Quote from: Renfield on June 08, 2010, 09:15:33 AM
How about you pick a theme, and use variations on it?
Haha, maybe I already have, unintentionally? Anime!  :D

Bogey

Quote from: Scarpia on June 08, 2010, 03:19:14 PM
Mine's currently a painting by Edward Hopper.  I might change it to other paintings by Edward Hopper.

That would be cool.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Me on 9/9/09, the day the Beatles remasters were released. They had a bunch of costumes to put on at the Best Buy I went to and they took your photo once you chose your getup. Not being one to participate in things like this, I can't recall why I did it. I don't think I have ever done a realistic avatar before, so I wanted to try one out.

kishnevi

Quote from: George on June 10, 2010, 01:17:39 PM
Me on 9/9/09, the day the Beatles remasters were released. They had a bunch of costumes to put on at the Best Buy I went to and they took your photo once you chose your getup. Not being one to participate in things like this, I can't recall why I did it. I don't think I have ever done a realistic avatar before, so I wanted to try one out.

Are you sure a picture featuring a flourescent blue outfit can be termed "realistic"? :)

It's certainly a change of pace from from the disembodied hands.

Thread duty, since I've just changed mine:
The Seal of Rassilon, from the "old school" Doctor Who.

Brian

Quote from: Renfield on June 08, 2010, 07:06:49 AM
There was a discussion in the 'Listening' thread where I was thinking out loud that I'm probably the only one along with Sarge who has never changed their avatars, and was found to be patently incorrect, and then was wondering out loud how how many have actually never changed it.

When I first joined the forums my avatar was a picture of Dvorak; I believe I made the change over to the gentleman with the oud in 2008. Since then, it has only been altered on rare and brief occasions - for instance, after the Giants-Patriots Super Bowl and on an 'Arrested Development Avatar Friday.' I really don't foresee making any long-term avatar changes, or not until I see a photograph which might be more interesting or more beautiful to me than this one.

George

Josef Hoffman's hands from Life Magazine.