Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 07, 2011, 02:17:07 PM
I support all forum endeavors: Andy, Cato...I'll buy Johan's book when an English translation is available.

Sarge

Aah... Who knows, a German translation might be there sooner and Mrs Rock will be able to read it!  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mn Dave

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 07, 2011, 02:20:40 PM
Aah... Who knows, a German translation might be there sooner and Mrs Rock will be able to read it!  ;D

Let's see this book! Link!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 07, 2011, 02:21:23 PM
Let's see this book! Link!

Not so quick. First a Dutch publisher must take the bait. Two of them - big houses - are reading a big chunk of my novel. I am waiting for their reaction. I am not in the infamous 'slush pile', because I have people 'inside' who believe in my work. They recommended me. I am now finishing part 1. Next year I'll finish Part 2. I hope Part 1 will be published then, too. And Part 2 a year later (2013). Ergo: a translation can come in 2014 at the earliest!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mn Dave

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 07, 2011, 02:27:38 PM
Not so quick. First a Dutch publisher must take the bait. Two of them - big houses - are reading a big chunk of my novel. I am waiting for their reaction. I am not in the infamous 'slush pile', because I have people 'inside' who believe in my work. They recommended me. I am now finishing part 1. Next year I'll finish Part 2. I hope Part 1 will be published then, too. And Part 2 a year later (2013). Ergo: a translation can come in 2014 at the earliest!

Oh, okay.  :)  I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 07, 2011, 02:20:40 PM

I could read it too, at a snail's pace, and with the help of LEO  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Sergeant Rock

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mn Dave on September 07, 2011, 02:29:27 PM
Oh, okay.  :)  I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

There are unlucky people waiting much longer. I began in 1996, age 35... It's a very ambitious book, my very own 'Gothic'.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 07, 2011, 02:34:47 PM
It's a very ambitious book, my very own 'Gothic'.

Let's hope you don't have to wait forty years for a first performance.

Sarge

Mn Dave

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 07, 2011, 02:34:47 PM
There are unlucky people waiting much longer. I began in 1996, age 35... It's a very ambitious book, my very own 'Gothic'.

Excellent.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 07, 2011, 02:39:29 PM
Let's hope you don't have to wait forty years for a first performance.

There are aspects about Brian I don't much care for...  ;D

Marc

Quote from: Marc on September 07, 2011, 12:27:49 PM
It's the Alkmaar organ in my avatar at the moment.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 07, 2011, 01:16:50 PM
I miss Audrey  :(

:'(

This remark made me cry. I like it when a man gets sensitive. I bet Audrey feels the same about that.

Mn Dave

A gunslinger dude from the iPhone shooter game Westbang.

North Star

It's an integral - and not even a proper one!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

My avatar is the underrated Florent Schmitt whose recording catalog is downright pitiful, but I'm glad that he has been given some performances on disc.

Lethevich

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 07, 2011, 12:30:50 PM
I like your avatar! Mine hasn't changed since I joined in July 2007. I think people would be in shock if I changed it.

I admit, when I first saw that avatar I thought that he was almost rictus in his grimmacing stare, but in larger versions the pic is far warmer. Strange.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Renfield

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 19, 2011, 12:31:09 PM
I admit, when I first saw that avatar I thought that he was almost rictus in his grimmacing stare, but in larger versions the pic is far warmer. Strange.

Perhaps the subconscious cues you pick up from the larger version are below the perception threshold in the small one. :D

I now find myself wondering if someone's done research to quantify that threshold for pictures of faces.

(It's pretty likely someone has!)

Lethevich

Click for full-size

It's around the 5th-6th when smile becomes a snarl, I think it's due to the eyes becoming too small to focus on. Also the shadows replace real shapes, and give the perception that the face is in a more angular expression.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

kishnevi

The King of Cups (one of the four "Minor Arcana" suits of the standard Tarot) as drawn by an artist named Brian Williams, part of a deck published as "Renaissance Tarot".  I've had this deck for a number of years, and it's very well done, the artwork drawing on the imagery and style of 16th century Italy, and each Minor Arcana suit is assigned to an Italian city--Cups, being linked to the element of Water, naturally was assigned to Venice, so the King is wearing the Doge's cap and the building serving as his throne is the Doge's Palace.

I may change to another version of this card from another suit in a little while, but I'll let this one stand long enough for folks to see it.  I'm using the King of Cups because it is linked to the three decans (decan--10 degree section of the Zodiac) which include my birthday.  I might also use the Nine of Cups, which is linked to my birthday's specific decan.

BTW, this is motivated by a renewed interest in collecting Tarot decks that was set off by a discussion in--where else?--The Diner.