Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mn Dave

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 19, 2011, 06:29:35 PM
The King of Cups (one of the four "Minor Arcana" suits of the standard Tarot) as drawn by an artist named Brian Williams, part of a deck published as "Renaissance Tarot".  I've had this deck for a number of years, and it's very well done, the artwork drawing on the imagery and style of 16th century Italy, and each Minor Arcana suit is assigned to an Italian city--Cups, being linked to the element of Water, naturally was assigned to Venice, so the King is wearing the Doge's cap and the building serving as his throne is the Doge's Palace.

I may change to another version of this card from another suit in a little while, but I'll let this one stand long enough for folks to see it. 

BTW, this is motivated by a renewed interest in collecting Tarot decks that was set off by a discussion in--where else?--The Diner.

I have a deck here in my desk drawer. I tried readings for a while but freaked out my wife too often.  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 19, 2011, 06:29:35 PM
The King of Cups (one of the four "Minor Arcana" suits of the standard Tarot) as drawn by an artist named Brian Williams, part of a deck published as "Renaissance Tarot".  I've had this deck for a number of years, and it's very well done, the artwork drawing on the imagery and style of 16th century Italy, and each Minor Arcana suit is assigned to an Italian city--Cups, being linked to the element of Water, naturally was assigned to Venice, so the King is wearing the Doge's cap and the building serving as his throne is the Doge's Palace.

I may change to another version of this card from another suit in a little while, but I'll let this one stand long enough for folks to see it.  I'm using the King of Cups because it is linked to the three decans (decan--10 degree section of the Zodiac) which include my birthday.  I might also use the Nine of Cups, which is linked to my birthday's specific decan.

BTW, this is motivated by a renewed interest in collecting Tarot decks that was set off by a discussion in--where else?--The Diner.

That was because of yours truly!   :D 8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 19, 2011, 04:31:35 PM
Click for full-size

It's around the 5th-6th when smile becomes a snarl, I think it's due to the eyes becoming too small to focus on. Also the shadows replace real shapes, and give the perception that the face is in a more angular expression.

I see what you mean... But I never knew my innocuous avatar could cause so much anguish and research! Neither did I ever notice anything menacing in the old man's face before. Perhaps a certificate is in order, to protect youthful visitors... !
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Renfield

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 19, 2011, 10:05:52 PM

I see what you mean... But I never knew my innocuous avatar could cause so much anguish and research! Neither did I ever notice anything menacing in the old man's face before. Perhaps a certificate is in order, to protect youthful visitors... !

Beware of Stern Old Brian From A Distance?

Warning and puzzle, 2-in-1.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Renfield on September 20, 2011, 01:34:27 PM
Beware of Stern Old Brian From A Distance?

Warning and puzzle, 2-in-1.

;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Muzition

I don't know what my avatar is.  It was one of the default avatars under the "art" section and I thought it looked pretty. 

I may change it at some point.

Drasko

Quote from: Muzition on September 20, 2011, 02:51:36 PM
I don't know what my avatar is. 

Kazimir Malevich - The Knife Grinder

Renfield

Quote from: Drasko on September 20, 2011, 02:55:55 PM
Kazimir Malevich - The Knife Grinder

You can always count on Milos. 8)

Brahmsian

One of my favorite classical music villains - Rothbart

Mirror Image

My avatars have been changing a bit, but right now it's the incredible Shostakovich.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 20, 2011, 04:47:56 PM
My avatars have been changing a bit, but right now it's the incredible Shostakovich.

Are you sure about that? ;D

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 20, 2011, 04:47:56 PM

You change it so frequently, that "identifying" it here becomes pointless. :D
Regards,
Navneeth

Mn Dave

Alfred Pennyworth, who I'm sure listens to classical.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 11, 2011, 02:08:11 PM
Alfred Pennyworth, who I'm sure listens to classical.

How can you be so sure? I can picture Alfred listening to some big band jazz from the 40s. This is as wild as he gets though. He's able to let his hair down, so to speak, with this music. :D

TheGSMoeller

<----------- still the Monkey.  ;D

Mirror Image

As for Greg's request...

<--------------------- It's still Charlie the K (for Karl). :D

Mn Dave

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2011, 04:38:29 PM
How can you be so sure? I can picture Alfred listening to some big band jazz from the 40s. This is as wild as he gets though. He's able to let his hair down, so to speak, with this music. :D

I'm sure there's some nerdy fella out there that knows the answer.

Lisztianwagner

The great Richard Wagner  :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Bogey

Director John Ford, on location.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Florestan

<----------------- According to the 1931 Soviet authorities, this man was "Especially dangerous on the musical front in the present class war".  8)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini