Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on July 05, 2014, 05:19:43 PM
It is!
My memory must be going, since I also remember seeing it in Naples, not on your wall!  ;D
Ha ha! Yes, a replica on my wall!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on July 05, 2014, 08:40:30 PM
Ha ha! Yes, a replica on my wall!
One of my very favourite pictures. We were in Rome and Pompeii a few years ago. Due to serendipitous timing we got to see most of the best walls from Pompeii on temporary display in Rome, set up as complete rooms (many are permanently on display in Naples.)

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on July 06, 2014, 08:05:29 AM
One of my very favourite pictures. We were in Rome and Pompeii a few years ago. Due to serendipitous timing we got to see most of the best walls from Pompeii on temporary display in Rome, set up as complete rooms (many are permanently on display in Naples.)

Wonderful! Seeing these pieces in real life is the ultimate as the replicas never can compare. I have never been to Naples (subconscious fear of Vesuvius?), but hope to visit Pompeii some day soon. I tend to end up in northern Italy every time I go. Usually in some back-restaurant in Florence with a great Chianti and divine pasta.  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on July 06, 2014, 11:12:08 AM
Wonderful! Seeing these pieces in real life is the ultimate as the replicas never can compare. I have never been to Naples (subconscious fear of Vesuvius?), but hope to visit Pompeii some day soon. I tend to end up in northern Italy every time I go. Usually in some back-restaurant in Florence with a great Chianti and divine pasta.  :)

Florence is magical. We rented an apartment in a 13th c building just opposite the Pitti palace for 10 days, quite cheaply (we planned the trip around my find of it). Saw a free concert with Simone Stella, and by 2days missed a free one with the Tallis Scholars singing Josquin in the duomo.  :'( :'(
I'd tell you about the wine festival we were fortuitously there for, but it might count as cruelty to fish.  :)

Pompeii has been stripped bare but after Rome was top of my to-see list. Well worth going, but apparently at Herculaneum (partly closed when we were there so we skipped it) you can see more stuff in situ.
I did love seeing the house of mysteries, and more of my favorite paintings.

TheGSMoeller

I'm looking for Buffy. Anyone? And not the movie Buffy, the TV show Buffy, she was much better, and I'm hungry.  >:D

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 07, 2014, 06:41:18 PM
I'm looking for Buffy. Anyone? And not the movie Buffy, the TV show Buffy, she was much better, and I'm hungry.  >:D

mn dave

Moonfish

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 11, 2014, 12:30:22 PM
Deformed happy face.  :(

I thought it was a piece of cheese....   ;)
Anna Lappé

EigenUser

ZauberdrachenNr.7, every time I see your crane avatar I am reminded of a homework problem from a class in statics* that I had four years ago.

(I was surprised to find the same picture as the textbook just by googling "statics crane free body diagram")

*N.B. I don't mean statistics, I mean statics -- the study of rigid bodies at rest and the forces acting upon them (as opposed to later engineering classes where things move, bend, break, heat up, cool down, and generally get more complicated). Most people are like "oh, you mean statistics!" and I'm like "No, I mean statics!"
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on July 22, 2014, 09:34:17 AM
ZauberdrachenNr.7, every time I see your crane avatar I am reminded of a homework problem from a class in statics* that I had four years ago.

(I was surprised to find the same picture as the textbook just by googling "statics crane free body diagram")

*N.B. I don't mean statistics, I mean statics -- the study of rigid bodies at rest and the forces acting upon them (as opposed to later engineering classes where things move, bend, break, heat up, cool down, and generally get more complicated). Most people are like "oh, you mean statistics!" and I'm like "No, I mean statics!"

Aargh! That is not a free body diagram Nate!
(Reminds me of when I was TA for engineering physics.) (I was in neither engineering nor physics  :))

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on July 22, 2014, 01:05:36 PM
Aargh! That is not a free body diagram Nate!
(Reminds me of when I was TA for engineering physics.) (I was in neither engineering nor physics  :))
I know it isn't (remove the objects, draw and label arrows to replace them, sum forces, yada-yada-yada). I still call it one in my mind, and drawing one is the first thing that it makes me want to do. My statics teacher (rightly) made a big fuss over this, but I can't help it.

I've TA'd several times, including statics. Dynamics was where I really had fun, though. I had a discussion section every Friday and I even got to give a few lectures when we got to topics I liked (instantaneous centers of zero velocity, rotating reference frames, MOMENTS OF INERTIA!). One day in the Spring was really nice, so wheeled a whiteboard and had class outside. Great fun. I even bought this shirt for the day I gave a lecture on moments of inertia, which I now wear regularly:
http://www.snorgtees.com/angular-momentum.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on July 22, 2014, 01:42:43 PM
I know it isn't (remove the objects, draw and label arrows to replace them, sum forces, yada-yada-yada). I still call it one in my mind, and drawing one is the first thing that it makes me want to do. My statics teacher (rightly) made a big fuss over this, but I can't help it.

I've TA'd several times, including statics. Dynamics was where I really had fun, though. I had a discussion section every Friday and I even got to give a few lectures when we got to topics I liked (instantaneous centers of zero velocity, rotating reference frames, MOMENTS OF INERTIA!). One day in the Spring was really nice, so wheeled a whiteboard and had class outside. Great fun. I even bought this shirt for the day I gave a lecture on moments of inertia, which I now wear regularly:
http://www.snorgtees.com/angular-momentum.
Watch out for those moments of inertia. Soon they turn into minutes of inertia, then quarter hours, then whole days.

Florestan

Quote from: EigenUser on July 22, 2014, 09:34:17 AM

What was the problem asking for?

One big difference between statistics and statics is that no government ever collapsed because of bad statistics.  ;D

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2014, 12:25:38 AM

One big difference between statistics and statics is that no government ever collapsed because of bad statistics.  ;D
And also this:  statistics may benumb or may stun but normally do not shock.

EigenUser

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2014, 12:25:38 AM

Here you go. Found it from my textbook:

From the classic Hibbeler:

First conducting, then coffee, now textbooks? He must be stopped!

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on July 23, 2014, 05:24:17 PM
Here you go. Found it from my textbook:

From the classic Hibbeler:

First conducting, then coffee, now textbooks? He must be stopped!

Engineering failure: when statics become dynamics.

At my alma mater, engineers in the math courses only needed 50%, 40% to get the prerequisite,  but the human beings pure math types were expected to learn the material.
>:D
To be fair, one of my friends in Applied Math was the best integrator known to man.

ibanezmonster

Mio from Nichijou is not amused.  :-X

springrite

A portion of my collection.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

EigenUser

Ken, I can imagine that your car that tried to kill you was thinking "You want Glass? I'll give you Glass!" *smash*

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on July 29, 2014, 04:31:59 PM
Ken, I can imagine that your car that tried to kill you was thinking "You want Glass? I'll give you Glass!" *smash*
:laugh:

That'll teach me to drive a Chevrolet Stockhausen.