Six favourite works by Sir Arthur Bliss

Started by vandermolen, August 25, 2020, 02:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I'm not expecting many takers for this. I do, however, listen to music by Bliss quite often, currently to 'The Beatitudes' on the Lyrita label which I am enjoying getting to know.
So, here goes:

'Morning Heroes' (the Charles Groves/John Westbrook recording is my favourite)
Meditations on a Theme by John Blow (Hugo Rignold/CBSO on Lyrita is my favourite)
Adam Zero (Handley)
'Things to Come' (Bliss's own recording, recently issued for the first time on CD by Decca)
Hymn to Apollo
A Colour Symphony (Charles Groves)

Bonus choice ( ::)) Oboe Quintet (Melos Ensemble)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Meditations on a Theme by John Blow
Adam Zero
Checkmate
Piano Concerto
Viola Sonata
String Quartet no. 1

Confession: I still haven't listened to Morning Heroes! :o Must get around to it soon...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2020, 02:22:55 AM
I'm not expecting many takers for this. I do, however, listen to music by Bliss quite often, currently to 'The Beatitudes' on the Lyrita label which I am enjoying getting to know.
So, here goes:

'Morning Heroes' (the Charles Groves/John Westbrook recording is my favourite)
Meditations on a Theme by John Blow (Hugo Rignold/CBSO on Lyrita is my favourite)
Adam Zero (Handley)
'Things to Come' (Bliss's own recording, recently issued for the first time on CD by Decca)
Hymn to Apollo

Bonus choice ( ::)) Oboe Quintet (Melos Ensemble)

I won't have six, but the three works i have marked in bold are the ones that have definitely impressed me the most.

Maybe Checkmate too. I'd need to listen to the Colour Symphony again.

Beatitudes, the String quartet No.2 and the Clarinet Cto didn't work for me.
Like Kyle, I have yet to listen to Morning Heroes.
Olivier

Daverz

Checkmate
A Color Symphony
Cello Concerto
Meditations
Adam Zero
Miracle in the Gorbals

Christo

A Colour Symphony
Morning Heroes
Miracle in the Gorbals
Checkmate
Things to Come (Suite)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

springrite

Morning Heroes
Viola Sonata
Hymn to Apollo
String Quartet #1
Cello Concerto
Adam Zero
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Can't believe there were so many replies already!
Thanks guys  :)

Oh yes, I'm also a big fan of Miracle in the Gorbals and both of the piano concertos. This is more difficult than I thought.
Checkmate was an early Bliss favourite on LP, conducted by Bliss himself. I like the complete ballet rather than just the Suite. On Naxos it's coupled with Mêlée Fantasque which I also like.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on August 25, 2020, 06:44:51 AM
Morning Heroes
Viola Sonata
Hymn to Apollo
String Quartet #1
Cello Concerto
Adam Zero
Nice to see another vote for 'Hymn to Apollo' - I tend to agree with the suggestion that it's a work that appeals to Apollo the God of Healing after Bliss's trauma of losing his brother in the First World War. Yesterday I enjoyed listening to the Cello Concerto (Chandos).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 25, 2020, 05:22:44 AM
Adam Zero
Checkmate
Piano Concerto
Viola Sonata
String Quartet no. 1

Confession: I still haven't listened to Morning Heroes! :o Must get around to it soon...

Yes indeed Kyle re: MH.
This is my favourite version:
[/img]

Symphonic Addict

Bliss is yet unknown to me in a large margin, so I would say these:

A Colour Symphony
Meditations on a theme by John Blow
Piano Concerto
Adam Zero (don't remember well now)

and that's it. What I've heard from his pen has seduced the ears of mine.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 29, 2020, 06:23:48 PM
Bliss is yet unknown to me in a large margin, so I would say these:

A Colour Symphony
Meditations on a theme by John Blow
Piano Concerto
Adam Zero (don't remember well now)

and that's it. What I've heard from his pen has seduced the ears of mine.
Those are all works that I rate very highly in Bliss's output Cesar.
I'd also recommend 'Morning Heroes,, 'Checkmate', 'Hymn to Apollo' and the lovely Oboe Quintet plus the great film score for 'Things to Come' which I gather was the first film score to achieve success as an independent score.

Symphonic Addict

Good to read, Jeffrey. I've listened to other works by Bliss but I don't have strong memories of them. Overall I've liked what I've heard.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 31, 2020, 03:23:50 PM
Good to read, Jeffrey. I've listened to other works by Bliss but I don't have strong memories of them. Overall I've liked what I've heard.
Thanks Cesar the 'Pastoral' is a rather lovely work which you might like.

Maestro267

Checkmate
John Blow Meditations
Piano Concerto
A Colour Symphony
Morning Heroes
Metamorphic Variations

Roasted Swan

'Morning Heroes' (Charles Groves/John Westbrook)
Meditations on a Theme by John Blow (Handley)
Checkmate (complete score - so Lloyd-Jones)
'Things to Come' (Groves-RPO)
Miracle in the Gorbals (Berglund)

In almost total agreement with Vandermolen - just tweaked the preferred performances once or twice - and swapped in Bergulnd's Miracle in the Gorbals for Hymn to Apollo and Checkmate for Adam Zero!

Christo

Quote from: Christo on August 25, 2020, 06:16:46 AM
A Colour Symphony
Morning Heroes
Miracle in the Gorbals
Checkmate
Things to Come (Suite)
Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 12, 2020, 04:42:22 AM
'Morning Heroes' (Charles Groves/John Westbrook)
Meditations on a Theme by John Blow (Handley)
Checkmate (complete score - so Lloyd-Jones)
'Things to Come' (Groves-RPO)
Miracle in the Gorbals (Berglund)

In almost total agreement with Vandermolen - just tweaked the preferred performances once or twice - and swapped in Bergulnd's Miracle in the Gorbals for Hymn to Apollo and Checkmate for Adam Zero!
Errr ...  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Benji

I wonder how many people know a bit of Bliss but don't realise. Until a few years back the opening fanfare to the televised BBC proms was from Bliss' Colour Symphony, a fact that was unknown to me until I first heard that work in full!

Other than that work, still my favourite Bliss piece, I love Adam Zero - very exciting and tuneful - and the cello concerto. That chandos disc with the music from Things to Come is also great fun.

Mirror Image

I don't even have one favorite work from Bliss. :-\

vandermolen

Quote from: Benji on February 03, 2021, 03:17:46 PM
I wonder how many people know a bit of Bliss but don't realise. Until a few years back the opening fanfare to the televised BBC proms was from Bliss' Colour Symphony, a fact that was unknown to me until I first heard that work in full!

Other than that work, still my favourite Bliss piece, I love Adam Zero - very exciting and tuneful - and the cello concerto. That chandos disc with the music from Things to Come is also great fun.
+1 for Adam Zero, I'm surprised that's it's not better known. I like the EMI Bliss boxed set although, oddly, you get two different performances of Music for Strings and none at all of Meditations on a Theme by John Blow or Morning Heroes, arguably two of his greatest works!  ::)
I'm also greatly enjoying the new 'Decca Originals' release: