Six favourite works by Sir Arthur Bliss

Started by vandermolen, August 25, 2020, 02:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 05, 2021, 11:20:42 PM
+1 for Adam Zero, I'm surprised that's it's not better known. I like the EMI Bliss boxed set although, oddly, you get two different performances of Music for Strings and none at all of Meditations on a Theme by John Blow or Morning Heroes, arguably two of his greatest works!  ::)
I'm also greatly enjoying the new 'Decca Originals' release:

Campoli was a great player - relegated these days to the occasional release such as this because he was not one of the very big names of yesteryear.  But he was the driving force behind the Bliss concerto with the composer asking him for advice on the technical aspects of the writing.  I like Campoli's Elgar recording with Boult very much - again a performance almost never mentioned when comparing versions

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 05, 2021, 11:49:43 PM
Campoli was a great player - relegated these days to the occasional release such as this because he was not one of the very big names of yesteryear.  But he was the driving force behind the Bliss concerto with the composer asking him for advice on the technical aspects of the writing.  I like Campoli's Elgar recording with Boult very much - again a performance almost never mentioned when comparing versions

Interesting. I wonder, if in that sense, Campoli's position was similar to that of Solomon in relation to the Piano Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).