Maximilian Steinberg-String Quartets recorded?

Started by Scion7, September 06, 2020, 12:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

This is actually more of a "name that performing group" - Steinberg (1883-1946) wrote two quartets,  Op.5 (1907) & Op. 16 (1925) - neither is available on this side of the former Warsaw Pact line - can any of our Russian friends tell me if they were ever recorded/released in Russia?

Apparently, he mostly resided in St. Petersburg for the vast majority of his life (whether or not he stuck it out during the Nazi-Germany invasion attempt, I don't know - I don't have detailed biographical info on him - not even a complete works list.)  The first quartet is published in the West, but not the 2nd, from what I've been able to see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Cato

Quote from: Scion7 on September 06, 2020, 12:01:55 AM
This is actually more of a "name that performing group" - Steinberg (1883-1946) wrote two quartets,  Op.5 (1907) & Op. 16 (1925) - neither is available on this side of the former Warsaw Pact line - can any of our Russian friends tell me if they were ever recorded/released in Russia?

Apparently, he mostly resided in St. Petersburg for the vast majority of his life (whether or not he stuck it out during the Nazi-Germany invasion attempt, I don't know - I don't have detailed biographical info on him - not even a complete works list.)  The first quartet is published in the West, but not the 2nd, from what I've been able to see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have searched for the string quartets and found this website offering 2 or 3 minutes of the String Quartet #1:

https://www.editionsilvertrust.com/steinberg-qt-1.htm

"Steve Jones" is the source for the performance snippets:  perhaps you can discover through the publisher where the recording came from.

Orchestral works are available on YouTube: e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/v/udS8gMzmJ0U
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Scion7

I believe he is part of a local group of musicians that make samples for the Editions Silvertrust from various scores; dusty words on a page are not enough to lure the buyers.  I heard those earlier - the fourth movement especially made me want to find some recording of both quartets.  :blank:
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Cato

Quote from: Scion7 on September 06, 2020, 08:03:43 AM
I believe he is part of a local group of musicians that make samples for the Editions Silvertrust from various scores; dusty words on a page are not enough to lure the buyers.  I heard those earlier - the fourth movement especially made me want to find some recording of both quartets.  :blank:

Perhaps if you bought the score and offered it to a  (young?)  string quartet, they would be interested in rare/neglected works.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Scion7

Perhaps if you loaned me your professional recording studio,
I might consider it.   ;D