Piano Concerto No.2 - 3rd movement Final edit

Started by MarkMcD, September 08, 2020, 07:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkMcD

Hi all,
This is the final edit of the 3rd Movt of my 2nd piano Concerto. I've extended the cadenza and ironed out the wrinkles along the way. For some reason I couldn't stop twiddling with it until I got it to this point, but now that I have, I'm happy to think of it as finished and leave it without further twiddles! I've now started working the material I have for the 1st and 2nd movements so hopefully I might have a completed work in another couple of years 😂. Anyway, I hope you like it and if you did hear the first version, I'd be interested to know what you think of the differences. This particular movement started life a few years ago as a piano improvisation and gradually got molded into what it is now, as did most of the material for the other movements, let's see where they end up!

Listen to Piano Concerto No.2 3rd Movt (Final edit) by Mark McDonald on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/rjHBs

Hi all,

I've not posted anything for over a year, been busy with other things, but I have also been working on my second piano concerto.  I have the bones of the 1st and 2nd movements, but there is still a lot of work to do on those.  I do however, have the 3rd movement finished (barring a few minor edits that might arise over the next few weeks), and so I thought I would like to share this with you all.  Thanks for listening.

It's a bit more modern than my first piano concerto, I wouldn´t say contemporary exactly, and like all of my work, it is a tonal, classical piece.

I hope you like it and as always, any and all comments are welcome and replied to.  If anyone would like to see the score, it's mess lol but available if you want.

Kind regards
Mark

https://soundcloud.com/user-729021187/piano-concerto-no2-3rd-movt

Rons_talking

I love piano concerti and this is a good movement. I'd like it a bit more modern (say, a touch of Prokofiev) in harmony and gesture, but it's up to you and this sounds very convincing.

MarkMcD

Hey Ron,
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.  I do feel there is some variety lacking in the piano developments and the cadenza could be longer, take in more of the developments.  Also I want to change the recapitulation a little, but I got it to a stage where I think the bones are good, and I never stop tinkering with these things, so by the time the 1st and 2nd movements are ready, it may well have changed a bit.  Thank you again for your encouragement, it means a lot.

Kind regards
Mark

Scion7

How did you create this? 
Is that you playing the piano?
Is this all MIDI?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

MarkMcD

Hi Scion,

I use Sibelius with Noteperformer.  I have a yamaha CVP 501 and I play passages into Sib from the piano, then edit later on my laptop.  Then when I need to, I go back to the piano and edit that way too.  Sadly it's not a live performance, but not quite all midi either.  I'm not a bad pianist, but not good enough to play the whole thing live.

Did you like it?

MarkMcD