Boris Lyatoshinsky

Started by Kontrapunctus, January 05, 2019, 09:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontrapunctus

Does anyone know where I can buy this CD? I've tried Amazon, Discogs, RussianDVD, Ebay, and Presto--all to no avail.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Roy Bland

Perhaps this is better than Kuchar/Naxos (i don't like 1994 edition,IMHO it was dull and inflated)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 12, 2019, 07:34:51 PM
Perhaps this is better than Kuchar/Naxos (i don't like 1994 edition,IMHO it was dull and inflated)

Interesting looking release. Are those the ones that were once on Russian Disc?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

No this is from Ukrmusic label a recent recording ,you could ask to UMKA But i obtained (apart Kolessa's symphonies) nothing from Ukraine.
another link
http://austriaukraine2019.com/en/

XB-70 Valkyrie

I have not been there in over a decade, but the Meloidya store in St. Petersburg may have it--if you are able to communicate with them, or know of someone who lives in the area. We have friends who live there--one of them did a postdoc in Davis while I was there working on my doctorate.

In fact, we may be passing through Davis next year--hope Symposium and Dos Coyotes are both still in business!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

vandermolen

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on December 12, 2019, 10:28:46 PM
I have not been there in over a decade, but the Meloidya store in St. Petersburg may have it--if you are able to communicate with them, or know of someone who lives in the area. We have friends who live there--one of them did a postdoc in Davis while I was there working on my doctorate.

In fact, we may be passing through Davis next year--hope Symposium and Dos Coyotes are both still in business!
Ah, 'Melodiya' in St Petersburg (or Leningrad as it was when I visited over New Year 1985). On Nevsky Prospekt if I recall. I went in there and asked for any music by Miaskovsky. The proprietor looked at me as if I were nuts. After scrabbling through the shelves I did find a couple of LPs (this was before the CD era) of his string quartets but no symphonies. However, to my delight, they had lots of LPs by Bax until I realised that 'Bax' was Russian for Bach. Duh.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

XB-70 Valkyrie

I went in to the Melodiya store on Nevsky Prospekt three different times and bought CDs with a U.S. credit card. Then on the fourth time, I whipped out the plastic again, the woman behind the counter expressed disapproval. I tried to explain that they had accepted it three times before, and she became quite agitated, screaming something in Russian and pointing at the phone (threatening to call the police??). (I actually spoke some Russian at the time, but did not understand her.) This behavior is not unusual, at least in that city, and I suppose a holdover from the Soviet regime. I found that this hostile, paranoid behavior was restricted to the older people, while many of the younger ones were  quite friendly. 
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

vandermolen

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on December 13, 2019, 12:29:27 PM
I went in to the Melodiya store on Nevsky Prospekt three different times and bought CDs with a U.S. credit card. Then on the fourth time, I whipped out the plastic again, the woman behind the counter expressed disapproval. I tried to explain that they had accepted it three times before, and she became quite agitated, screaming something in Russian and pointing at the phone (threatening to call the police??). (I actually spoke some Russian at the time, but did not understand her.) This behavior is not unusual, at least in that city, and I suppose a holdover from the Soviet regime. I found that only the older people reacted like this, and the younger ones were really often quite friendly.
For some reason I kept being denied entry to the Kremlin complex in 1985 - maybe I looked too scruffy.

Roy Bland

This is Melodiya store at Smolensk
http://melodiasmolensk.ru/
However i will ask in Ukraine now ,considering bad relationship between two countries
http://www.ukrmusic.org/

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 13, 2019, 12:33:06 PM
For some reason I kept being denied entry to the Kremlin complex in 1985 - maybe I looked too scruffy.
Perhaps the Soviets had a different idea about the meaning of wearing a red poppy, as British are used to doing.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 14, 2019, 11:17:11 PM
Perhaps the Soviets had a different idea about the meaning of wearing a red poppy, as British are used to doing.  :)
:P

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 13, 2019, 03:32:38 PM
This is Melodiya store at Smolensk
http://melodiasmolensk.ru/
However i will ask in Ukraine now ,considering bad relationship between two countries
http://www.ukrmusic.org/
Thanks for the link. It's an interesting looking release.

However, my knowledge of Russian and Ukrainian is limited (to zero). Also the page I downloaded seemed to be concerned with the sale of musical instruments. Still, I like the idea of buying a CD from a shop in Smolensk, somewhere I always associate with 'War and Peace'. However it looks like I may just have to put up with the two complete cycles on Russian Disc and Marco Polo/Naxos as well as the individual releases on Chandos and CPO and the Mravinsky recording also on Russian Disc.  :'(

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on December 15, 2019, 12:42:31 AM
Thanks for the link. It's an interesting looking release.

However, my knowledge of Russian and Ukrainian is limited (to zero). Also the page I downloaded seemed to be concerned with the sale of musical instruments. Still, I like the idea of buying a CD from a shop in Smolensk, somewhere I always associate with 'War and Peace'. However it looks like I may just have to put up with the two complete cycles on Russian Disc and Marco Polo/Naxos as well as the individual releases on Chandos and CPO and the Mravinsky recording also on Russian Disc.  :'(
I will suggest this:
https://www.cdandlp.com/en/vakhtang-jordania/ukraine-composers-series-vol.2-yarovinsky-gaydamaka-ponomarenko-2cd-new/cd-x-2/r119303980/

vandermolen

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on December 16, 2019, 12:21:36 AM
Looks interesting. Can you tell us more about the music?
We are going OT this is a topic on Lyatoshinsky .However IMHO is a good example of late soviet style heavily influenced from folklore the most interesting pieces are Yarovinsky' s Symphony and Gaidamaka 's Oboe Concerto played with conviction by Kharkov PO.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 16, 2019, 07:56:40 AM
We are going OT this is a topic on Lyatoshinsky .However IMHO is a good example of late soviet style heavily influenced from folklore the most interesting pieces are Yarovinsky' s Symphony and Gaidamaka 's Oboe Concerto played with conviction by Kharkov PO.
Ok thanks.

Roy Bland

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on January 01, 2021, 06:39:18 PM
On him

I've enjoyed everything that I've heard from Lyatoshinsky. I feel that his music deserves more attention.