R.I.P. Dame Diana Rigg

Started by Karl Henning, September 10, 2020, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Together with Carolyn Jones (Morticia) and Barbara Feldon (99) Mrs Peel was one of three iconic actresses upon whom I suffered a crush as a boy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

I never cared for Morticia or 99, but really fell for Mrs. Rigg (as Emma Peel) when I was a small boy. I actually first encountered her dubbed into German (as my family lived in Vienna at the time), and The Avengers was Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone to me.  ::)  ;)

R.I.P. Diana Rigg.   :'(

Gurn Blanston

Oh dear, that's sad. Loved her, in her foxy striped jumpsuit, kicking the shit out of the bad guys in '60's London along with the always elegant Mr. Steed. *sigh*... :'(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 10, 2020, 10:30:50 AM
Oh dear, that's sad. Loved her, in her foxy striped jumpsuit, kicking the shit out of the bad guys in '60's London along with the always elegant Mr. Steed. *sigh*... :'(

8)

+1 a very sad loss. I liked her in a TV adaptation of 'Bleak House' but, for me, she will always be Mrs Peel and that marvellous partnership with Steed. I recently watched her last episode in the Avengers, where 'Mr Peel' (who, from the back, looks just like Steed), mysteriously reappears, having been lost in the jungle, following a plane crash, for many years. The acting by Steed and Mrs Peel is genuinely touching during their farewell to each other.

Here it is - Mrs Peel's farewell to Steed. Sad to think that they are both gone now  :(:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wamD6FwyNQ

Also this seemed appropriate this evening:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCcTmJTAng
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on September 10, 2020, 01:34:25 PM
+1 a very sad loss. I liked her in a TV adaptation of 'Bleak House' but, for me, she will always be Mrs Peel and that marvellous partnership with Steed. I recently watched her last episode in the Avengers, where 'Mr Peel' (who, from the back, looks just like Steed), mysteriously reappears, having been lost in the jungle, following a plane crash, for many years. The acting by Steed and Mrs Peel is genuinely touching during their farewell to each other.

Here it is - Mrs Peel's farewell to Steed. Sad to think that they are both gone now  :(:

Oh, I never saw that; thanks for the link! It will go well this evening. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on September 10, 2020, 01:34:25 PM

The Forget-Me-Knot
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 10, 2020, 02:13:34 PM
Oh, I never saw that; thanks for the link! It will go well this evening. :)

8)

My pleasure!
:)

Papy Oli

I remember The Avengers being broadcast in the 80's in France in dubbed version under the title "Chapeau Melon et Bottes de Cuir". For some reason this French teenager was always somewhat keener on the Bottes de cuir  ;D

In the 90's it went one better : Throughout summer holidays, the French channel FR3 did a daily foreign language TV programme called "Continentales". It was a mix of daily European news in various languages and a British/US subtitled TV episode. Throughout the 90's, they broadcast all the Avengers, Monty Python's, Fawlty Towers, One foot in the grave, Golden Girls... I absolutely loved that programme, the language element and the series shown and it was pivotal in me eventually moving to the UK in the late 90's. So, thank you Diana Rigg. RIP.

Olivier

steve ridgway

Pohjolas Daughter

A wonderful actress.  Loved The Avengers!  Last saw her doing a wonderful job (as always) as Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones.  So sorry to hear of her passing.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 10, 2020, 11:37:31 PM
I remember The Avengers being broadcast in the 80's in France in dubbed version under the title "Chapeau Melon et Bottes de Cuir". For some reason this French teenager was always somewhat keener on the Bottes de cuir  ;D

In the 90's it went one better : Throughout summer holidays, the French channel FR3 did a daily foreign language TV programme called "Continentales". It was a mix of daily European news in various languages and a British/US subtitled TV episode. Throughout the 90's, they broadcast all the Avengers, Monty Python's, Fawlty Towers, One foot in the grave, Golden Girls... I absolutely loved that programme, the language element and the series shown and it was pivotal in me eventually moving to the UK in the late 90's. So, thank you Diana Rigg. RIP.

Same here  ;D.

She sure knew how to kick these leather boots. Coincidentally I wrote recently about a tv series where her daughter Rachael Stirling starred. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

SimonNZ

It occurs to me that I haven't seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service since my teens and should now give it another view.

There's also the Olivier King Lear in which she plays Regan and an older BBC version of Bleak House in which she plays Lady Deadlock. And I see now she also played Helena in a film of A Midsummer Night's Dream I've not encountered before.

edit: and checking what the local video rental store has of hers I see they've got a box set of Ibsen adaptations that includes her Hedda Gabler

Scion7

She and Vincent Price were perfect partners in the campy Theatre of Blood.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 11, 2020, 03:18:38 PM
It occurs to me that I haven't seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service since my teens and should now give it another view.

There's also the Olivier King Lear in which she plays Regan and an older BBC version of Bleak House in which she plays Lady Deadlock. And I see now she also played Helena in a film of A Midsummer Night's Dream I've not encountered before.

edit: and checking what the local video rental store has of hers I see they've got a box set of Ibsen adaptations that includes her Hedda Gabler
I watched that years ago (in school); I should see if I can find a copy of it to view it again; stellar cast!

Don't recall seeing that Bond one.  Another movie to check out!  ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter