Listening Queue for (American) Thanksgiving?

Started by Scion7, November 22, 2023, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Tomorrow (well, dawn anyway) is the American holiday of Thanksgiving - for which we ex-pats are grateful for a turkey instead of a goose.  I am spinning up Schubert and Paganini works for this day - as a random sort of thing.  What about you?
Providing you don't have a house full of unruly DNA-mates?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

ando

Albert Roussel all day today.

pjme

Gentle reflections for Thanksgiving....

DavidW

I was thinking Schumann's piano trios to start.

Maestro267

No American works on this American holiday?

Oh well, I did Ives Symphony No. 3 earlier.

ritter

Happy Thanksgiving to all our friends in the United States! :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 23, 2023, 09:08:00 AMNo American works on this American holiday?

Oh well, I did Ives Symphony No. 3 earlier.
And of course there's the Thanksgiving movement of the Holidays Symphony. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mapman

Quote from: Karl Henning on November 23, 2023, 09:50:22 AMAnd of course there's the Thanksgiving movement of the Holidays Symphony.

Which I happened to be listening to as you wrote that message! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Brian

I'm with family and we're unlikely to put any music on, but if anyone is curious to explore, may I recommend seeking out current Native American composer Jerod Tate?

Scion7

Well, this was done by English people in 1621.  ;D

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

ando

Before the day is officially over (for us here) an American coda (in a very French vein) -

Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue
Boban Bjélic, accordion
François-René Duchable, piano