Author Topic: The French Music Exploration thread  (Read 13355 times)

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
Re: The French Music Exploration thread
« Reply #460 on: February 16, 2021, 08:34:28 AM »
The SQs (esp. the Quatuor Parisii set) are definitely worth your time as are the chamber and solo piano works. The symphonies are a mixed bag, but I’m coming around to them. La Création du monde is definitely worth your time (if you can listen to the Munch performance on RCA). The Piano Concertos and Violin Concertos are also noteworthy. I have found much to enjoy in his mélodies as well. Milhaud composed so much music, but what remains particularly impressive to me is how consistent he was even with composing at such a high volume.

Thank you I'll look those up when I get back to him.
Olivier

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #461 on: February 16, 2021, 10:48:55 AM »
Thank you I'll look those up when I get back to him.

8)
“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #462 on: February 20, 2021, 09:19:13 PM »
Very erratic listening on the French side these last few days.

Tried some Chabrier & Chausson. Quite pleasant overall, worthy of a further more attentive listen at some point.

Also some Roger-Ducasse. Bit flat and underwhelming.

Tried some Milhaud last night. Bit of struggle, not sounding like my cup of tea so far.

Making a first foray into Ropartz via his symphonies right now. Very melodic, quite fun. Will pursue.

Finally, Bavouzet's Debussy continues to be an absolute cracker. Taking my time with this one. Enjoyed some real gems yesterday with Suite Bergamesque, Rêverie, Children's corner, Deux Arabesques

Well if you think that's erratic, I basically haven't listened to any classical for over 3 weeks...

I'll try to explore these composers as a way of getting back into it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #463 on: Today at 04:25:00 AM »
As I mentioned in the listening thread, I am now starting the chapters of Debussy, Ravel & Fauré. I'll conduct those in parallel and, more or less, by opus numbers as well to mix the works.

I did lots of sampling over the Christmas holiday and accumulated quite a few CD's that sounded really appealing for those composers.

And from my shelves:

And some bits here and there in boxsets by Argerich, Richter, Giulini, Bernstein, Beaux Arts Trios, Wand, du Pré, Herreweghe...

The rest will be filled by streaming on Idagio, including the Debussy Warner box and Ravel Decca box.

Not sure when or how I'll come out of the rabbit hole of Debussy/Fauré/Ravel...Not felt the need to really listen to anything else since my last post here...  0:)

Debussy Piano - full check on Bavouzet 5 CDs - big yes - need to listen to the other works in the Warner box.
Ravel Piano - full check - big yes - Queffelec convinced me, i now need to go back to Collard.
Fauré Piano - not approached yet (bar one nocturne  :-[ )

Debussy Chamber - absolutely loving it
Ravel Chamber - hits and misses on the violin sonatas. Trio & SQ are gorgeous (listening to the latter right now), rest to follow.
Fauré Chamber - love the piano quintets and quartets (Rogé/Ysaye or Domus), rest to follow.

Debussy orchestral - not approached yet
Ravel orchestral - as above, although I had several listens to La Valse and really loving this one
Fauré orchestral - ok but non-plussed (Plasson)

Debussy songs - sampled a few very nice ones, but needs to be in small doses
Fauré - same as above
Ravel - Tried the most famous ones but they didn't work for me

Not particularly seeking the operas or choral works for them. Did sample a bit of L'Enfant et les Sortilèges by Ravel but that wasn't for me.

I think there will be plenty to go by with the chamber, orchestral, piano music and the odd songs. That's already enjoyable way beyond what I would have thought (hoped?) when I started this thread.   
Olivier