The French Music Exploration thread

Started by Papy Oli, September 14, 2020, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Escaich is one of my favourite contemporary composers. If you ever get the chance to hear this disc, don't miss it:

It's also available in the big Liège Phil box - the most fascinating and rewarding compilation from an orchestra ever issued  0:)

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on September 21, 2020, 06:00:19 AM
Escaich is one of my favourite contemporary composers. If you ever get the chance to hear this disc, don't miss it:

It's also available in the big Liège Phil box - the most fascinating and rewarding compilation from an orchestra ever issued  0:)

Thank you André, Qobuz has it, it is saved for later.
Olivier

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Papy Oli

I listened to the first two movements only earlier, that was very good. i enjoyed the organ mixed with the rest, I'll resume tomorrow.
Olivier

André

Keep it going, Papy!  ;)

If you ever have an epiphany you can try his beautiful choral work Le dernier Évangile.

vandermolen

Enjoying this:

Poetic and engaging music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Noël Gallon (1891- 1966) - https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/No%C3%ABl_Gallon

Concerto for woodwind trio and orchestra (1934) - fragment....
But sound and performance are excellent. and it is a light & fun neo-classical piece (think of d'Indy, Poulenc, Damase, Françaix...)
https://www.youtube.com/v/R52R7XP3nR8

https://www.youtube.com/v/UM0HRhm638s
Written when Hubeau was 18...

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2020, 10:37:27 PM
Enjoying this:

ok Jeffrey, added to the list.
If you want a translation of the french notes, send PM me and i'll translate them.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on September 21, 2020, 04:11:41 PM
Keep it going, Papy!  ;)

If you ever have an epiphany you can try his beautiful choral work Le dernier Évangile.

Re-listening now André. I have saved that Evangile one as well.
Olivier

Madiel

When I looked up Escaich on Primephonic they listed him as an artist (organist!) rather than as a composer. But they do have albums of his compositions.

Starting off with a clarinet concerto (on that Baroque Song album). And quite liking it so far.

EDIT: Now on Scènes de bal for string quartet, also finding this very enticing.

Papy Oli, you realise half the motivation in following this thread is that I'd notice our tastes are somewhat similar, so I'm more than happy to ride on your coattails.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2020, 10:37:27 PM
Enjoying this:

Roger-Ducasse's symphonic poem "Sarabande" (1911) is dedicated to Paul Cruppi, the 18-year old son of Louise Cruppi (née Crémieux). Paul Cruppi was Ducasse's (piano)pupil.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Cruppi

Apparently, Paul befriended Jean Cocteau and died of a drug overdose: "l'adolescent serait mort d'une dose excessive de drogue, en compagnie de son ami Jean Cocteau que la famille tiendra responsable.".
https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/etudfr/2019-v55-n1-etudfr04537/1059366ar/

Two versions on YT:
Toscanini (1946) : https://youtu.be/3g1PdZ7WaLg
André Girard (1966) : https://youtu.be/XuUDkroNZYo

The composer quotes from a charming and sad "vielle chronique" (16-17th century?) in old French spelling :
"L'endemain du dict jour, au matin menèrent
Le défunct Princelet en l' Abbaye d'Aisnay. Icel,
Devant que trespasser, souventes foys avoit amiablement
Et doulcement requis: "Sonnez-moy
Ceste sarabande", qui estoit une dance d'Hespaigne
Qu'un sonneur de luth qu'il aimoit sonnoit
Moult bellement. Et en agonir alloit requérant:
"Sonnez-moy ceste sarabande"; Adonc, à ce que
Plus souèvement departist de ça-bas, tout le
chemin qui mène en l'abbaye dessus dicte, et violes
et hautboys d'amour et flustes alloient sonnant la
dicte sarabande, emmi les psalmes des prebstres
et clercs, et plaincts fréquents de bonnes gens, qui
misérablement pleuroient et lamontoient. Et
oyoit-on en mëme temps toutes les cloches, bourdons
et campanelles, qui quarillonoient bien mélodieusement."

Free translation
On the morning of the other day, they brought
the deceased  young Prince to the Abbey of Aisnay. (propably in Lyon).
Before passing away, this prince had often sweetly and gently asked
"Play for me this saraband", a Spanish dance often
very beautifully performed by a beloved lutenist. And while
dying he would ask again "Play this saraband for me".
So then, to let him depart sweetly from earth, one heard
on the way to the abbey, the aformentioned saraband
Sounded by viols, hautbois d'amour and flutes amidst the
psalms of the priests and clercs, the frequent plaints
of good people , lamenting and crying miserably. And
at the same time one heard all the bells, bourdons and carillons
chiming melodiously.

André

The old French text has a nice flow and is very poetic. Also, very appropriate to the composition.

Thanks for that, Peter.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on September 22, 2020, 03:48:53 AM
When I looked up Escaich on Primephonic they listed him as an artist (organist!) rather than as a composer. But they do have albums of his compositions.

Starting off with a clarinet concerto (on that Baroque Song album). And quite liking it so far.

EDIT: Now on Scènes de bal for string quartet, also finding this very enticing.

Papy Oli, you realise half the motivation in following this thread is that I'd notice our tastes are somewhat similar, so I'm more than happy to ride on your coattails.

There is indeed something to Escaich's music.

Overall, simply glad people follow this little adventure, chime in along the way, find some interest, and, like me, (re)discover some good music.

Enjoy the trip, Madiel. :)

Lalo, Edouard (1823-1892) is the order of the day for me today.

Very little in my collection:

Cello Cto (Du Pré)
Symphonie Espagnole (Oistrakh)

streaming for now:

edit: loving it !!!
Olivier

pjme

Quote from: André on September 22, 2020, 05:11:25 AM
The old French text has a nice flow and is very poetic. Also, very appropriate to the composition.

Thanks for that, Peter.

De rien.
I'm curious now about the correspondence between Louise Crémieux and Romain Rolland!

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 22, 2020, 05:14:27 AM
Lalo, Edouard (1823-1892) is the order of the day for me today.

Very little in my collection:

Cello Cto (Du Pré)
Symphonie Espagnole (Oistrakh)

streaming for now:

edit: loving it !!!

Lalo is a very fine composer and there's much more to his music than the Symphonie espagnole. Try his piano trios, the other (two) violin concertos, the cello concerto, the cello sonata and the piano concerto. And don't forget the ballet Namouna, a magical work.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on September 22, 2020, 07:25:58 AM
Lalo is a very fine composer and there's much more to his music than the Symphonie espagnole. Try his piano trios, the other (two) violin concertos, the cello concerto, the cello sonata and the piano concerto. And don't forget the ballet Namouna, a magical work.

Thank you Andrei. Had a first listen to Namouna* earlier, also revisited the Cello Cto, both very good.

I have queued up the Cello sonata, Piano trios and the Violin concerti for tomorrow.

*edit: they were only excepts, I have saved a full version.
Olivier

Madiel

While a couple of Lalo's concertante pieces are about the only things that get a regular airing, it seems he actually wrote more chamber music, or at least as much.

Currently listening to the 1st movement of Piano Trio no.3, and very happy with it thus far. EDIT: The opening of the 2nd movement scherzo is even better.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 22, 2020, 08:07:19 AM
Thank you Andrei. Had a first listen to Namouna earlier, also revisited the Cello Cto, both very good.

I have queued up the Cello sonata, Piano trios and the Violin concerti for tomorrow.

My all time favourite LP cover:

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 22, 2020, 02:32:50 AM
ok Jeffrey, added to the list.
If you want a translation of the french notes, send PM me and i'll translate them.

Don't worry Olivier but thanks for the kind offer.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Things are moving quickly here. Great to see it.  8)