The French Music Exploration thread

Started by Papy Oli, September 14, 2020, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

;D
Quote from: Scion7 on September 20, 2020, 05:53:24 AM
try this:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSYiyHyeBqE

I have given Sauguet's Garden Concerto [arr. for oboe] a listen. Yes, an immensely more pleasing and tolerable sound altogether! Thank you again for posting it for me.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on September 22, 2020, 10:57:33 PM
While a couple of Lalo's concertante pieces are about the only things that get a regular airing, it seems he actually wrote more chamber music, or at least as much.
Currently listening to the 1st movement of Piano Trio no.3, and very happy with it thus far. EDIT: The opening of the 2nd movement scherzo is even better.

At this rate, i'll underline everything for Lalo in my reply #3 status. Listening to the Trios now, that's just beautiful stuff. Hell, I even enjoyed the Symphonie Espagnole last night (at least, once I had gone past the heavy shrieking violin 1st mvt, my main bugbear with this particular VC format in general  :-[ ).

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on September 22, 2020, 07:25:58 AM
Lalo is a very fine composer and there's much more to his music than the Symphonie espagnole. Try his piano trios, the other (two) violin concertos, the cello concerto, the cello sonata and the piano concerto. And don't forget the ballet Namouna, a magical work.

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 23, 2020, 04:35:35 AM
Listening to the Trios now, that's just beautiful stuff. .

I have never really moved beyond the Lalo Cello Concerto or his Symphonie Espagnole. So, I obviously need to move beyond those two works.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2020, 04:45:00 AM
I have never really moved beyond the Lalo Cello Concerto or his Symphonie Espagnole. So, I obviously need to move beyond those two works.

Worth the time Fergus, although it might not be Varèsesque enough for you  :laugh:
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 23, 2020, 04:56:31 AM
Worth the time Fergus, although it might not be Varèsesque enough for you  :laugh:

OK, but I will still risk it  ;D

Papy Oli

Spending quite the rewarding afternoon listening to Massenet, with large chunks of these. Another composer to save into the French playlist it is.  :)

Olivier

André

Lalo's opera Le roi d'Ys is a beautiful score. The overture has been recorded quite often. French opera is an acquired taste, once past the usual suspects (Carmen, Pelléas). Do check youtube clips of its best bits though:

The overture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y1rE1Nt6lc

Mylio's Aubade, 'Vainement, ma bien-aimée'. It's been recorded to death, but here's the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEUL3dVhfkg

And Margared's big aria, 'De tous côtés j'aperçois':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3NeJOEZM6c

There's more to Lalo than just charming tunes !

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2020, 12:31:00 AM
Things are moving quickly here. Great to see it.  8)

You are right. I'm having trouble keeping up! :o
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 23, 2020, 06:50:45 AM
Spending quite the rewarding afternoon listening to Massenet, with large chunks of these. Another composer to save into the French playlist it is.  :)

I have the last two and this:

Plus this:

plus the usual suspects when it comes to his operas.

A superb melodist who wrote refined, sensitive and sensual music. Camille Saint-Saens bhit the nail on the head when writing this about him:

Try as they may, they will not prevent Massenet from shining as one of
the brightest stars in our musical firmament. No composer has enjoyed
the public's favour to the extent he did, apart from Auber—a composer he
didn't like, any more than he did his school, but whom he resembles in a
strange way: they both had facility, huge productivity, wit, grace and suc-
cess, and both produced music that fitted their era; at the same time their
music was totally different from each other's. Both of  them have been ac-
cused  of   flattering  their  listeners;  but  isn't  it  rather  the  case  that  com-
posers and audience had the same tastes, and were in perfect agreement?

Amen!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Papy Oli

One French composer a day keeps... Fergus and Lol on their toes  8)

(joke aside, i'll try and slow down a little bit to keep some structure and focus as we go along...and listen to non-French stuff too  :laugh:)

One side point: has anybody got any objection if every now and then I also copy/paste some useful comments and suggestions from here into the relevant composers threads as well ? Thank you.
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 23, 2020, 08:22:42 AM

(joke aside, i'll try and slow down a little bit to keep some structure and focus as we go along...and listen to non-French stuff too  :laugh:)

One side point: has anybody got any objection if every now and then I also copy/paste some useful comments and suggestions from here into the relevant composers threads as well ? Thank you.

Do as you please, Olivier! This is a very interesting and stimulating thread.. I browsed my collection of French music jus yesterday evening, found some very interesting things there that I've never listened to, or onyl superficially, and I hope I'll be able to contribute my thoughts and comments asap. Meanwhile, I changed my avatar and signature line to some French beauties. Vive la doulce France!

aligreto

There was no criticism meant in any way, Olivier. I was just amazed at the pace of the progress of the thread. Continue to do what you do at your own pace. The thread will always be here so sluggards, such as I, can always catch up. Forward momentum, as in music, is important in these things. It is great to see such interest and so many responses. The thread has turned out to be very successful. Well done all  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

It's going to take me a while to catch up--particularly as I have a bunch of other CDs that I'm trying to work my way through too!  ::)

Happy trails though to you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Don't worry about slowing down, Olivier. Tortoise - like I do keep up.

I like the way the thread is centred around the less obvious suspects. Your last point is an excellent idea. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on September 23, 2020, 08:28:01 AM
Do as you please, Olivier! This is a very interesting and stimulating thread.. I browsed my collection of French music jus yesterday evening, found some very interesting things there that I've never listened to, or onyl superficially, and I hope I'll be able to contribute my thoughts and comments asap. Meanwhile, I changed my avatar and signature line to some French beauties. Vive la doulce France!

Thank you Andrei. What are those interesting things/composers you have found please ?
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2020, 09:18:06 AM
There was no criticism meant in any way, Olivier. I was just amazed at the pace of the progress of the thread. Continue to do what you do at your own pace. The thread will always be here so sluggards, such as I, can always catch up. Forward momentum, as in music, is important in these things. It is great to see such interest and so many responses. The thread has turned out to be very successful. Well done all  8)

it was not taken as such, no worries  :) and thank you again.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 23, 2020, 11:58:45 AM
It's going to take me a while to catch up--particularly as I have a bunch of other CDs that I'm trying to work my way through too!  ::)
Happy trails though to you!
PD

thank you PD, happy listening.

Quote from: Irons on September 23, 2020, 11:49:54 PM
Don't worry about slowing down, Olivier. Tortoise - like I do keep up.
I like the way the thread is centred around the less obvious suspects. Your last point is an excellent idea. 

ok, thank you Lol.
Thought I'd whet my appetite with the less obvious ones first and keep the "big guns" (my main struggles) towards the end. Working out very nicely so far if Lalo, Massenet and Ibert are anything to go by.
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 24, 2020, 12:11:00 AM
Thank you Andrei. What are those interesting things/composers you have found please ?

For instance, Pierne, Florent Schmitt, Magnard, Roussel and a bunch of lesser-knowm names: Biarent, de Castillon, d'Ollone, Emile Goue, Paul Le Flem.

Roasted Swan

There is one French composer who is barely represented in the catalogue - his saxophone concerto turns up occasionally and I think there is a smattering of other things.  This is Pierre Max Dubois.  He is very much in the mould of Francaix/Ibert etc - neo-classical style with wit and wonderfully clear and precise orchestration - just really well-crafted music.  Wind and brass players are likely to be more familiar with his name as his works (I think) have been written/used as examination pieces.  I discovered his work when I bought the sheet music for his Concertino for Violin & Orchestra many years ago.  Its a delightful piece but one that I don't think has ever been commercially recorded.  His violin concerto is worth investigating too.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2020, 01:42:28 AM
For instance, Pierne, Florent Schmitt, Magnard, Roussel and a bunch of lesser-knowm names: Biarent, de Castillon, d'Ollone, Emile Goue, Paul Le Flem.

I'll cover at least the first four at some point. I tried one Pierne CD some weeks ago (a ballet one i think) but that didn't stick. I have saved other works of his to listen to. Schmitt will be a completely new one to me. For Magnard, I did a maiden run through the symphonies (naxos) not long ago and liked it it a lot. I am planning a go at the BIS cycle and his others works for sure. Roussel's cycle is sitting on the shelves but I have no particular recollection of those. To be addressed too.

For the lesser known ones, please do post what is worth a listen to as and when you re-explore them.  That'd be great.

Olivier