The French Music Exploration thread

Started by Papy Oli, September 14, 2020, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 24, 2020, 03:44:55 AM
There is one French composer who is barely represented in the catalogue - his saxophone concerto turns up occasionally and I think there is a smattering of other things.  This is Pierre Max Dubois.  He is very much in the mould of Francaix/Ibert etc - neo-classical style with wit and wonderfully clear and precise orchestration - just really well-crafted music.  Wind and brass players are likely to be more familiar with his name as his works (I think) have been written/used as examination pieces.  I discovered his work when I bought the sheet music for his Concertino for Violin & Orchestra many years ago.  Its a delightful piece but one that I don't think has ever been commercially recorded.  His violin concerto is worth investigating too.

Thank you RS, I have found the Saxophone Cto and a couple of quartets for Trombones and Clarinets. In the queue it goes.

Qobuz did not return anything for the concertino btw.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Today's short French foray : Andre Campra. Another maiden composer to me.

Listening to his Messe de Requiem (Herreweghe). The type of work obviously tones down some of the usual Baroque "exuberance" that I usually struggle with. In this particular setting, that strikes quite a nice balance for me. That said, not sure yet if that would be a work I would return to.

Will try his motets tomorrow. 
Olivier

kyjo

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 23, 2020, 06:50:45 AM
Spending quite the rewarding afternoon listening to Massenet, with large chunks of these. Another composer to save into the French playlist it is.  :)

In addition to the ballet and orchestral suites, Massenet's Piano Concerto is a gem of a work with a touching, hymn-like slow movement, and a rousing, catchy finale. The Stephen Coombs recording on Hyperion's RPC series is excellent if you can access it, but the Ciccolini on EMI is perfectly fine too.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

I am giving this a first listen now as I post
Certainly belongs here, despite the Nielsen.
[asin]B07NBPLR67[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Papy Oli

Quote from: kyjo on September 24, 2020, 08:54:36 AM
In addition to the ballet and orchestral suites, Massenet's Piano Concerto is a gem of a work with a touching, hymn-like slow movement, and a rousing, catchy finale. The Stephen Coombs recording on Hyperion's RPC series is excellent if you can access it, but the Ciccolini on EMI is perfectly fine too.

Thank you Kyle, I have queued the Ciccolini and Idil Biret on Alpha.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: JBS on September 24, 2020, 09:21:00 AM
I am giving this a first listen now as I post
Certainly belongs here, despite the Nielsen.
[asin]B07NBPLR67[/asin]

Looks interesting Jeffrey. I had already saved their below CD, I will add yours as well.

Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 24, 2020, 06:50:12 AM
For the lesser known ones, please do post what is worth a listen to as and when you re-explore them.  That'd be great.

Will do.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Irons

Olivier why is Raymond Loucheur not on your list? Going by the stunning violin concerto he certainly deserves to be! The only aspect of both performance and the work itself not being 10 out of 10 is that Devy Erlih's violin is recorded a bit too close (a common criticism of violin concertos I find).

It is thanks to this thread that I have discovered Loucheur's concerto.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on September 25, 2020, 03:46:20 AM
Olivier why is Raymond Loucheur not on your list? Going by the stunning violin concerto he certainly deserves to be! The only aspect of both performance and the work itself not being 10 out of 10 is that Devy Erlih's violin is recorded a bit too close (a common criticism of violin concertos I find).

Not in the list yet, Lol, but saved in my Watch Later list on Youtube for now. I saved the recs from Peter/pjme there at the time. I'll add Loucheur to the list here when I get to it  ;) Good to know you found it of interest too !
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 25, 2020, 05:05:20 AM
Not in the list yet, Lol, but saved in my Watch Later list on Youtube for now. I saved the recs from Peter/pjme there at the time. I'll add Loucheur to the list here when I get to it  ;) Good to know you found it of interest too !

We are all keeping you busy, Olivier. 8)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on September 25, 2020, 07:37:58 AM
We are all keeping you busy, Olivier. 8)

And aren't I grateful   ???   :laugh:

Good job I have started that symphony cycle by that Myaskovsky guy to alternate with all that French stuff...Pretty decent, I admit 8)
(We'll blame Jeffrey...again...obviously  >:D)

On topic:
Listened to Massenet's Piano concerto and chunks of Campra's Grands Motets earlier on. The former was pleasant in place but too much banging about in the first movement (with my own limitations in that particular format to boot).

Same personal limitations with the Grands Motets. Much preferred the more subtle Messe de Requiem yesterday.
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 25, 2020, 07:50:07 AM
And aren't I grateful   ???   :laugh:

Good job I have started that symphony cycle by that Myaskovsky guy to alternate with all that French stuff...Pretty decent, I admit 8)
(We'll blame Jeffrey...again...obviously  >:D)

On topic:
Listened to Massenet's Piano concerto and chunks of Campra's Grands Motets earlier on. The former was pleasant in place but too much banging about in the first movement (with my own limitations in that particular format to boot).

Same personal limitations with the Grands Motets. Much preferred the more subtle Messe de Requiem yesterday.

Yes, I noted you are commencing on a Miaskovsky journey. Next up, the third, is outstanding.

The new erato

You should add Fernand de la Tom elle. The recent Bru Bavhe 3 CD set is rather good. And I recommend Jean Cras highly as well.

Papy Oli

Quote from: The new erato on September 26, 2020, 08:37:20 AM
You should add Fernand de la Tom elle. The recent Bru Bavhe 3 CD set is rather good. And I recommend Jean Cras highly as well.

Thank you Erato, I have found that Bru Zane of De La Tombelle on Qobuz. I'll save it for future listening.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Tried some Charles Tournemire earlier today but without much result.

Sampled the following, I just didn't respond at all. Could be having an off day... 0:)

Any other works to consider please if i get back to him in a few days ?

Olivier

André

Papy Oli

Olivier

pjme

...and the last movement of symphony nr. 6 - which is very impressive (wordless chorus, brass, organ, bells, tamtam, timpani & cymbals) in an almost Mahlerian way.
I like symphony nr 3 - for it is quite short and has interesting orchestration. The other symphonies meander...inspite of many elegant melodies, exquisite orchestration.

Papy Oli

Thank you Peter, another nod to the 3rd. I'll try it later in the week.
Olivier

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 28, 2020, 06:27:58 AM
Thank you Peter, another nod to the 3rd. I'll try it later in the week.

It's also vandermolen´s favourite  0:).