The French Music Exploration thread

Started by Papy Oli, September 14, 2020, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I've listened to most of the Duruflé I could readily get my hands on. And quite enjoyed most of it apart from the couple of solo organ pieces I tried (a reflection of the genre rather than the composer - just rarely have interest in solo organ).

The Requiem's appeal is readily apparent - I heard the 1961 orchestral version. I liked the particular performance of the 4 motets, op.10 even more, and the short Notre-Père. The Messe Cum Jubilo was also okay, not quite at the same level for me.

The op.3 work for flute was also good. The 3 dances for orchestra op.6 were very good, particularly the third dance. I thought I'd really like the 2-piano version of that one, but the performance I found didn't have the dynamism of the orchestral performance.

I'm disappointed I couldn't find the op.8 Andante and scherzo except for Youtube versions. The second one I found didn't seem any better in sound quality than the one pjme has posted.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Excellent ! The Requiem you posted yesterday in the WAYLT thread is the one I own. Not in the mood for it yet today, I'll pick it up again later.

Little exploration for the morning :

Dubois, Pierre-Max (1930-1995):

Quatuor pour clarinets

Saxophone Concerto No. 2

Quatuor pour trombones

Olivier

Papy Oli

Whoever wrote the accompanying blurb on Qobuz is not that keen  :laugh:

If the music of Pierre Max Dubois resists description, the difficulty may stem from his opaque intentions, his emphasis on style over substance, and his apparent rejection of personal expression. His music may be loosely classified as modernist, but it is seldom more experimental or adventurous than that of his teacher and chief influence, Darius Milhaud. Dubois' works for clarinet and piano are marked by flirtations with polytonality, ambiguous modal harmonies, and, in later pieces, the use of twelve-tone rows; but these are treated superficially and without consistency, as if Dubois adopted them only as devices to spice up his otherwise tame and traditional work. Such bland pieces as the Rapsodie, the Romance, and the Sonatina leave little impression, except that they are merely competent recital pieces. The banal Épitaphe and the meandering Sonata Breve for solo clarinet are uninteresting exercises, and the neo-Classical Quator is just an imitative diversion without a point. Only in the Sonata di Mady and Coïncidence are there signs of growth and exploration, but these are held back by Dubois' reliance on conventional patterns and clichés. Clarinetist Csaba Klenyán and pianist Ildikó Cs. Nagy give these works solid performances, and the uncredited clarinetists on Quator -- if not a multi-tracked Klenyán? -- are able and engaging.

© TiVo
Olivier

Papy Oli

Maybe that review wasn't far off. The quartet for clarinets and the quartet for saxophone are worth one visit. Maybe the trombones one as well. The rest not so much. 
Olivier

Papy Oli

Ready to address a chunkier composer tomorrow. Biffo gave the nudge, so Koechlin it will be. Completely maiden composer to me this one.

Planning to try those :

Olivier

Madiel

What, you're done with Dubois already? Yikes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

There wasn't much on Qobuz bar the ones I have posted.

All the rest of the Dubois entries seemed to be smaller saxophone works/etudes scattered on lots of saxophone compilations. I'd rather move on to something meatier.

What i heard was pleasant but not overly exciting either  :(
Olivier

pjme

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 11, 2020, 03:33:36 AM
What i heard was pleasant but not overly exciting either  :(

I agree. Pleasant but too much "ohlala" - even if I do like an occasional dip into frivolous lightweight music.
I have only one work:

I bought the cd for the (imo substantial) Harris concerto - a work i definitely like.
Arthur Benjamins Suite has -compared to Dubois'Concerto Italien - much more fun and poetry.

Koechlin, mon Dieu! Where to start?
This may help:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jul/Koechlin_orchestral_SWR19046.htm
I wish you good luck, patience and perseverance.

André

Papy Oli

Quote from: pjme on October 11, 2020, 05:01:32 AM
Koechlin, mon Dieu! Where to start?
This may help:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jul/Koechlin_orchestral_SWR19046.htm
I wish you good luck, patience and perseverance.

Quote from: André on October 11, 2020, 06:17:06 AM
Have fun with Kochlin, Papy! :)

Thank you both, I will try  ;D

Btw, feel all free to post about Fauré or Dubois as I carry along, I certainly won't mind the overlap and impressions.

I still need to go back to my chamber orchestra and organ version of the Fauré requiem myself to close that particular loop.
Olivier

Madiel

I listened to some P.M. Dubois.  Not all that interesting so far, just kind of "there". It so happened that on an album with a saxophone concerto, it was followed by an Ibert piece. So I listened to both, and preferred the Ibert. Not by a huge amount, as maybe saxophone concertos are not my chief interest, but I did find the Ibert a bit more engaging.

Dubois reminds me of Poulenc a bit.

Symphonic Addict

The other Dubois, Théodore Dubois, is much more interesting IMO. If you like Saint-Saëns, you could like Dubois.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 11, 2020, 06:57:21 PM
The other Dubois, Théodore Dubois, is much more interesting IMO. If you like Saint-Saëns, you could like Dubois.

I can't recommend his lovely Piano Quintet (for oboe, violin, viola, cello, and piano!) highly enough. Simply gorgeous music:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Madiel

I didn't realise Theo isn't on the list. Not that I know either Dubois particularly, but Primephonic defaulted to Theo as "Dubois" and had to spell out the other one.

springrite

Quote from: Madiel on October 11, 2020, 09:09:38 PM
I didn't realise Theo isn't on the list. Not that I know either Dubois particularly, but Primephonic defaulted to Theo as "Dubois" and had to spell out the other one.
Now, they certainly defaulted the wrong Dubois!!!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Madiel

Quote from: springrite on October 11, 2020, 09:19:24 PM
Now, they certainly defaulted the wrong Dubois!!!

On the contrary, it sounds like they're assuming you probably want the better one.

Papy Oli

Theodore has been added to the list now  :)
Olivier

Madiel

Two and a bit pieces has been sufficient for me to emphatically put Koechlin on my list of composers for further exploration.

He seems to have been pretty prolific over his long career (at least 225 opuses), but my initial impression is that the recording selection is rather meagre. There aren't many discs at all dedicated to his music from what I can see. A pity if my first exposure is any guide.

EDIT: In terms of Koechlin-focused discs (rather than ones where he's just one composer thrown in among many), it looks as if SWR/Hanssler are pretty dominant with the 2 boxes of orchestral and chamber/piano music (7 CDs in each box).

Papy Oli

I am responding much more to his chamber music than his orchestral works so far.

Listened to some of Jungle Book movements: La Course de Printemps Op.95, La Méditation de Purun Baghat, Op. 159 & Les Bandar-log, Op. 176, "Scherzo des singes ", that really did nothing much for me. Very atmospheric, quite, too much for me.

String quartets No.1 & 3 were quite engaging. Shame the sound was putting me off on the Ardeo. Closely recorded, loud breath intakes along the way.

His Piano music for 4 hands was a nice discovery last night, courtesy of Rafael who posted it and I followed suit. Really liked that one, bar one of the sonatinas.

Not a great response to his songs overall. lack of clear diction is a bug bear of mine in songs, I should really understand what's being sung in my own language but i only got one word in four, if that...just a personal annoyance  >:D

That being said, a particular one, "No.2 L'Hiver" (off 7 Rondets, Op.8) did stop me in my tracks. This one is worth a listen.

Did have a short attempt on his Organ works. Usual personal shortcoming on this one. No reflection on the works which might appeal to some.

Playing the Oboe Sonata Op.58 & Bassoon Sonata, Op. 71. Now this is just gorgeous. I think I will focus on that set for a day or two.

Also found this below set on Qobuz which looked interesting in the frame of this project, it has one of his symphonies (The Seven Stars' Symphony, Op. 132). Will have a go at that later on too.

Olivier

Madiel

I suspect, as I try a few more things, that might be a fair few works that would suit adjectives like "quiet" and "dreamy".

Which might not always be suitable, but happen to suit me very nicely tonight in my current mood/circumstances.

I listened to one orchestrated song, "Le sommeil de Canope", which was nearly 15 minutes long and I found completely entrancing.