The French Music Exploration thread

Started by Papy Oli, September 14, 2020, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Thanks. I'm sure I'll go back to consult page 1 at some point but I'm just trying to follow along the thread as you go (so I can share my own views on the same composers). I was doing well until I stopped listening to classical for several weeks and went on an Elton John binge... and then I've had mixed results, partly because I've failed to have many days at work lately where I can just knuckle down to a task and have some music on headphones at the same time.  I had one brief encounter with Milhaud but really wanted to go back and try some more before drawing any conclusions (not least because I know he wrote a very large number of works).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2021, 12:50:23 PM
Really enjoying this (Dutilleux) at the moment:

Nice Jeffrey, I enjoyed his 2 symphonies very much.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on April 22, 2021, 03:09:34 AM
Thanks. I'm sure I'll go back to consult page 1 at some point but I'm just trying to follow along the thread as you go (so I can share my own views on the same composers). I was doing well until I stopped listening to classical for several weeks and went on an Elton John binge... and then I've had mixed results, partly because I've failed to have many days at work lately where I can just knuckle down to a task and have some music on headphones at the same time.  I had one brief encounter with Milhaud but really wanted to go back and try some more before drawing any conclusions (not least because I know he wrote a very large number of works).

Milhaud is one on the to-do list - I only tried some quartets and some orchestral works briefly but left uncertain about him. I need to allocate him more time, including with his symphonies and chamber music.
Olivier

Mirror Image

I have to say I've somewhat cooled on Fauré. There are many works of his that I do love, especially those piano cycles like Nocturnes and the Barcarolles, but, overall, he's just not as interesting to me as his younger compatriots. I do like quite a bit of his chamber works as well, but it seems I'm more attracted to his later works overall.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 22, 2021, 07:51:40 AM
I have to say I've somewhat cooled on Fauré.

Which of course means nothing. The day after tomorrow next quarter of an hour can bring about a complete reversal.  :P
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2021, 11:11:58 AM
Which of course means nothing. The day after tomorrow next quarter of an hour can bring about a complete reversal.  :P

:P

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 22, 2021, 07:51:40 AM
I have to say I've somewhat cooled on Fauré.

*picks up vase and throws it across the room*
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on April 23, 2021, 04:44:36 AM
*picks up vase and throws it across the room*

*Dodges vase and sticks tongue out* :P

Papy Oli

Bizet is another composer I am sure I will go back to over time. Already knew the Arlésienne Suites but the Symphony in C and Roma/Chasse dans la forêt d'Ostie were really great new works to me (From the Frémaux box). The Carmen highlights were entertaining too and more than enough as it was.

Now trying 3 French composers in one go (Choral works):

Daniel-Lesur - Le Cantique des Cantiques
Messiaen - Cinq rechants for vocal ensemble
Jolivet - Ephitalame

Olivier

Papy Oli

Ooooooooh that voice...  :o  0:)

Olivier

Papy Oli

I listened to 2 short viola works on this CD earlier this evening:

Chausson: Pièce Op. 39
Vierne, L: Deux pièces, Op. 5

They are little gems. Will listen to the rest of the release tomorrow.

Olivier

Papy Oli

I sampled numerous random tracks in various works on the Roussel edition over the weekend. It is not a sound world that has appealed to me at this time.

I will have to revisit the symphonies I have on my shelf (Janowski/Orch. Phil. Radio France) and see how it goes.

Olivier

Papy Oli

Canteloube - Chansons d'Auvergne one the other was a winner on the day. I really enjoyed that Davrath version.

Olivier

Papy Oli

Another good discovery was Gounod's ballet music from Faust with the below recording. I don't think I'll go through the full opera but I plan to sample his symphonies soon too.

Olivier

Madiel

You're just getting further and further ahead of me, Olivier.

I did spend some time listening to Milhaud recently. There seem to be quite strong parallels with Poulenc. I did pretty much like everything of Milhaud's that I tried but there wasn't anything that made me go "wow!" and induce me to really get in deep. So I think he will qualify as a composer I will see approvingly on mixed programmes.

Papy Oli

There is a wee bit of tiredness now in that exploration to be honest so I skipped being too thorough per composer and I just dabble in some of their main works to cover the remaining composers quicker and have a general feel for now instead.

Since our tastes have aligned a few times, what have you listened yet to in Milhaud that you liked please (even if not wowed) ?
Olivier

Madiel

Sorry, I honestly can't remember as it's been spread out over a few weeks. My listening at work has been very intermittent. There was some orchestral works and some chamber but I'd be hard pressed to tell you exactly which pieces (and there are so many!)

Papy Oli

Ok, no worries  :)

I have some of his symphonies lined up, I see how it goes.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Tried some samples of Louis Vierne in the last couple of days but not much to my liking.

The viola work on this was good though.

Olivier

Papy Oli

I also listened to various bits of Milhaud's symphonies on CPO but that didn't do much for me.

I enjoyed a little bit more his chamber music on this one, and also some of the suites (Provençale, Française)

All in all, a composer for the backburner maybe.
Olivier