Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: atardecer on September 06, 2023, 12:34:26 AMWhen I see this Ravel quote, a couple things come to mind. Firstly - perhaps profundity in music is something that just happens sometimes, not something consciously achieved. I say this because to me the middle movement of the G major Ravel concerto seems profound.

Second, the limitations when talking about music. Perhaps a word like 'profound' can mean quite different things to different people.

I prefer *profoundly* to *profound*. I can relate to music which is profoundly cheerful, profoundly sad, profoundly pensive, profoundly melancholy, profoundly heroic, profoundly resignated etc. For music which is just profound, and especially music which is purposefully so, I have no use because more often than not it is profoundly boring.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

George

I am curious, what are people's current favorite sets of Mozart piano concertos?

I have yet to hear a set of these works that wasn't at least good. Schiff's set is nice, but incomplete and his piano is too distantly recorded. Uchida's set is also nice, with great beauty, but also incomplete and lacks excitement. Anda's and Perahia's are both complete, with Perahia including the two multi-piano works. Out of these two, Perahia certainly wins in terms of sound and refinement, Anda wins for performance, but as of now I don't hear either set as being truly special.   

So, my current two favorite sets are:

Brendel - His set is more complete than anyone's, even including the K. 107 works, played by Koopman. The set includes versions of PC 7 with 2 and 3 pianos. The first four are played by Haebler on fortepiano, the rest are played by Brendel. To me, his playing here always seems absolutely "right." I've read complaints about his tone, but I don't share this view, at least not here. In fact, I think his piano is captured with great clarity and beauty.

Barenboim - The most unique set of all. Powerful, confident, spontaneous playing captured in warm, rich analog sound. The slow movements have incredible depth and beauty and the young Barenboim avoids playing with the music with rubato or slowing down the outer movements.       
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

JBS

Brendel and Perahia.

I've listened to the Barenboim set once. I have to confess it didn't impress me one way or the other. But I'm more in favor of Beethoven played like Mozart than Mozart played like Beethoven (or even better Beethoven played like Beethoven and Mozart played like Mozart)

Anda and Schiff are good, but to my ears lack the extra bit to make them the best. Uchida I don't have. The series she did with the Cleveland Orchestra is worth hearing.

I recently got Kirschnereit, but haven't listened to any of it so far. It lacks K107, the first four concertos, and the concertos for 2 and 3 pianos.

For PI I have Sofronitzky and Immerseel; both are worth getting.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

Quote from: Mandryka on September 05, 2023, 11:58:30 PMI'll be interested to read what you say, especially about Perrahia's conducting.

After relistening to the first five discs over the last few days (I've owned the set for years,) I would say his conducting is middle of the road, invisible. Nothing stands out as bad, but then nothing stands out as great either, much like Perahia's piano playing (here and in many other recordings I have heard by him (Chopin, Schubert, etc.))   
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 08, 2023, 06:06:10 AMI am curious, what are people's current favorite sets of Mozart piano concertos?

I already gave you my MI, but here are my PI:

Mandryka

Quote from: George on September 08, 2023, 09:31:25 AMAfter relistening to the first five discs over the last few days (I've owned the set for years,) I would say his conducting is middle of the road, invisible. Nothing stands out as bad, but then nothing stands out as great either, much like Perahia's piano playing (here and in many other recordings I have heard by him (Chopin, Schubert, etc.))   

Yes, middle of the road at best I'd say. It's when you compare with a real conductor that you become aware of his weaknesses in that area (I did that with Zaccharias's first recordings.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

As I collected these works separately long before boxes became cheap, I have "only" 3 boxes: Barenboim/ECO, Bilson/Gardiner, Zacharias/EMI(diverse cond).
Of these the Barenboim is my favorite; although I find some less successful, I appreciate the approach that is overall "weightier" than common.
I have 13 concerti (14-16, 18-27) from Barenboim's later recordings with Berlin and they are also very good, I preferred some of them to the earlier set but the earlier one is probably more distinctive, the later seems slightly more mainstream overall (e.g. to me it sounds less "symphonic" despite Berlin Phil).

I also have 10 concerti with Brendel/Marriner. They are very good but I find Marriner a tad "generic". There is an earlier disc with Brendel/Janigro (K 271+ 449) on Vanguard I find more engaging.

Of the 12 I have of Schiff/Vegh I like some a lot (e.g. 271, 453, 456) and I generally love Vegh who provides some of the best accompaniment but Schiff be a bit too "puny", esp. in the bigger pieces like 466, 467, 482 (I don't have their 491 and 503). Another flaw for me is that they apparently used string only versions in K 414, 449 although interestingly Schiff's piano seems more assertive and present on that disc. (This series was recorded over several years at different locations, despite Decca's reputation they don't all sound equally good.)

A missed opportunity seems that Peter Serkin and Sasha Schneider only recorded 6 concerti (449-459) in the 1970s; they are also among the best I know, esp. 451, 456, 459, also due to the alert accompaniment.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Todd

Quote from: George on September 08, 2023, 06:06:10 AMI am curious, what are people's current favorite sets of Mozart piano concertos?

Schiff, Zacharias (MDG), Barenboim (Teldec).

The Schiff is the one I tote around on my phone so I can listen anywhere, anytime.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Biffo

I have numerous recordings of the piano concertos but only one complete set - Barenboim/ECO. I bought it is a set of LPs over forty years. I dip into it occasionally, mainly for the early works which I don't otherwise own.

Otherwise Brendel is my favourite and I have accumulated his recordings as LPs, CDs and downloads over the years but not a complete set.

vers la flamme

Can't stop listening to the Bilson/Gardiner 20 and 21, which I found on CD for dirt cheap. Thoughts on the rest of the cycle?

Leo K.

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 20, 2023, 05:01:49 AMCan't stop listening to the Bilson/Gardiner 20 and 21, which I found on CD for dirt cheap. Thoughts on the rest of the cycle?
It's perhaps my favorite cycle - the performances are outstanding.

Jo498

I rarely listen to Bilson/Gardiner because I think the orchestra tends to overwhelm the historic fortepiano, and I listen more to the earlier works with smaller orchestra (unlike the "symphonic" 20,21,22,24,25) other than that, it's very good. IIRC also quite consistent, so try any work you like.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

(Cross post from the WAYLTN thread)

An excellent Jeunehomme, with a deeply felt and touching slow movement. The 12th isn't half bad either. Highly recommended.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on September 08, 2023, 09:35:40 AMI already gave you my MI, but here are my PI:

Quote from: Jo498 on November 20, 2023, 12:56:24 PMI rarely listen to Bilson/Gardiner because I think the orchestra tends to overwhelm the historic fortepiano, and I listen more to the earlier works with smaller orchestra (unlike the "symphonic" 20,21,22,24,25) other than that, it's very good. IIRC also quite consistent, so try any work you like.

For my 2 PI sets, I have the same ones mentioned by David - I had the Bilson box but my reaction was the same as Jo498, i.e. the fortepiano being recessed and 'drowned out' by the orchestra - did a local donation.  Dave