Music with Arabic Scale/Influence

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, September 15, 2020, 06:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Any good music/recording with Arabic, or Middle-eastern, theme/scale?

Brian

Persian rather than Arabic, so feel free to disregard, but Reza Vali is a pretty interesting composer who requires all sorts of new tunings of his performers.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on September 15, 2020, 07:34:17 AM
Persian rather than Arabic, so feel free to disregard, but Reza Vali is a pretty interesting composer who requires all sorts of new tunings of his performers.

Great info! I will check it out. I was thinking about a term "muslim" because I didn't want to preclude Persian (or Turkish) influences, but ended up using the term Arabic.

71 dB

Phrygian dominant?

Quote from: Brian on September 15, 2020, 07:34:17 AM

I have the Reza Vali CD on Naxos, but of course Amazon doesn't have cover picture!  >:D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

relm1

Brian

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 15, 2020, 07:46:42 AM
Great info! I will check it out. I was thinking about a term "muslim" because I didn't want to preclude Persian (or Turkish) influences, but ended up using the term Arabic.
Turkish - definitely Fazil Say. He has composed a lot of solo piano works for himself but probably the best or easiest starting point is his violin concerto "1001 Nights in the Harem" which is built around folk drumming and (in the third movement) a Turkish melody which dates back to the 1700s. In the 1900s the tune was set with a love poem that family lore claims was about one of my great-great-uncles (it's about a girl who goes to a government office and falls for a cute bureaucrat) (not joking), and then badly translated and turned into an Eartha Kitt single.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: relm1 on September 16, 2020, 06:38:23 AM
Resphighi Belkis, Queen of Sheba.
Saint Saens Bacchanale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbkCfxnoY4A

The both, especially Respighi, sound great and aesthetic. Thank you!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on September 16, 2020, 06:55:25 AM
Turkish - definitely Fazil Say. He has composed a lot of solo piano works for himself but probably the best or easiest starting point is his violin concerto "1001 Nights in the Harem" which is built around folk drumming and (in the third movement) a Turkish melody which dates back to the 1700s. In the 1900s the tune was set with a love poem that family lore claims was about one of my great-great-uncles (it's about a girl who goes to a government office and falls for a cute bureaucrat) (not joking), and then badly translated and turned into an Eartha Kitt single.

I checked the V Concerto, Mesopotamia Symphony and a few piano pieces. They all are wonderful. I noticed that he released several albums, including the 1001, from Naive label. A few members and I discussed about the label a few weeks ago. Thanks for the info.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

71 dB

Quote from: 71 dB on September 15, 2020, 07:56:56 AM
I have the Reza Vali CD on Naxos, but of course Amazon doesn't have cover picture!  >:D

I revisited this disc and I have to say I don't like it much. With headphones the spatiality is really ugly. With speakers the soundstage is "airy", but the music itself isn't my cup of tea. I also find the recording too dynamic. Half of the time the sound is too quiet and half of the time it's too loud.  :-X
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: 71 dB on September 19, 2020, 05:01:18 AM
I revisited this disc and I have to say I don't like it much. With headphones the spatiality is really ugly. With speakers the soundstage is "airy", but the music itself isn't my cup of tea. I also find the recording too dynamic. Half of the time the sound is too quiet and half of the time it's too loud.  :-X

I like this album.

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roy Bland on September 21, 2020, 02:59:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOw0Mm4aj0

Thank you very much for the various suggestions. Palmyra sounds great. Especially I like the 7/8, first movement. It has a vibrant Arabic feel. The Moroccan Symphony is rather an advanced composition. While I enjoyed the first listen, I must re-listen it a few more times. While the suggested piano recording offers many memorable compositions, I found the other guy on the web, Morteza Mahjoobi, very talented and interesting as well. He modifies piano tuning, and the instrument sounds like a traditional Iranian instrument. I was fascinated by all the music suggested by you. If you find other pieces, please let us know. I appreciate your refined suggestions.

Roy Bland

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roy Bland on September 21, 2020, 02:50:33 PM
Thank for your appreciation!
An arab composer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkr_LTLG20

This is rather elegant and classy music. Also, I listened Morocco Symphony several times, and I think it is an excellent composition.

relm1

Check out Amirov's excellent Piano Concerto on Arabian themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKqxH7I2_4

Part of this excellent CD any lover of exotic music would enjoy.
https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572666

Roy Bland

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 23, 2020, 07:32:49 AM
This is rather elegant and classy music. Also, I listened Morocco Symphony several times, and I think it is an excellent composition.
Thank again.Oud is a traditional arab instrument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW7DhuhkaNg